WORST rap show you've attended

jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
For whatever reason it has to be memorably awful for one reason or another...I'll kick things off with the RZA. He had a bunch of guys on stage. Nobody knew who the fug they were. They basically karaoke'd wu-tang songs. The RZA seemed tore up and you didnt get more than a mumble out of him. Lucky my ticket was free!

Comments

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    For whatever reason it has to be memorably awful for one reason or another...
    I'll kick things off with the RZA. He had a bunch of guys on stage. Nobody knew who the fug they were. They basically karaoke'd wu-tang songs. The RZA seemed tore up and you didnt get more than a mumble out of him. Lucky my ticket was free!

Yeah his Sydney show was the same but we stole his Hennesey bottle which made up for it....

At least he didnt do strickly bobby digital stuff, he thru ina few old 36 Chamber verses and that dope one he drops on GZAs 4th Chamber. The other dudes were annoying, Cilva Rings was half palatable but then he did a whol 10 min rant on Israel/Palestine...and Im thinking...why not f*cking RAP about it cunt....

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    He had a bunch of guys on stage. Nobody knew who the fug they were. They basically karaoke'd songs.

You just described most rap shows! LOL. I could make a huge list of bad rap shows I've seen. Why are there always like 20 random dudes on stage with mics just wandering around? Let's make a list of good rap show performances instead.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    or towels on their heads like they were just on a exercise bike

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    In my experience, the worse the act, the more hype men on stage.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    how could i forget, House of Pain at Vassar College. what a mile of shit. i had to walk those clowns around too and listen to everlast get mad about swine in his deli platter.
    lethal was cool, i brought him to the dealerman and he dissapeared in a cloud of smoke.
    i could have put on a better show in my underwear

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    De La Soul, spent what seemed like half the damn show trying to determine what side of the venue "real hip hop was at" & getting to people to yell "ho!" at the top of their breath from side to side of the venue & "wave yo hands" etc etc. Coupled with the fact that the time they wasted could have been spent actually playing classics that they didn't perform. I will not be going to see them again.
    Also, Dilated Peoples, if you can call listening to a DJ spin top 40 rap all night while you wait for DP to take the stage, they finally get on do about 2 songs then leave in a huff. Disappointing.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    KOOL KEITH

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Does Prince Paul + the lead singer from the Dix count?

otherwise

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    worst rap show ever? Ghostface at Mr Smalls. when he FINALLY came on, he rocked it. but there were about 50 opening acts that just killed my whole mood, and my high. who hates opening acts? ME!

• Does Prince Paul + the lead singer from the Dix count?

otherwise

highlight of sxsw.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    That is the worst shit I've ever seen on the internet.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    De La Soul, spent what seemed like half the damn show trying to determine what side of the venue "real hip hop was at" & getting to people to yell "ho!" at the top of their breath from side to side of the venue & "wave yo hands" etc etc.

=every De La show in the last 10 years.........

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Cypress Hill and Ice Cube in Auckland, NZ some time in the mid 90s.

Sen Dog didnt show up but his voice did...

the 'DJ' (not Muggs) was pretending to cut and scratch over a DAT and must have known he looked like a cunt because he ended up putting record sleeves up all around the decks so noone could see his hands.

then cube came on and was so out-of-shape he couldnt make it through most of his own verses so his hypeman had to pick up most of the slack.

i did get blown by a girl i had never met in the crowd though so F*ck it: Great show.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Devin turned up THREE AND A HALF HOURS TOO LATE and did two songs, that pretty much tops it for me.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    run dmc in adelaide 1997 or 98, kept people waiting for literally hours then got up and rapped over their own tracks (not the instrumentals) then proceeded to tell every one in the crowd that they were around long before the jason nevins remix, which they dissed, then dropped and rapped over, was a terrible show and i havent been able to listen to their records since

• minimini 879 Posts
    Sugar Hill Gang feat. Melle Mel some years ago. Didn??t expect much but damn it was horrible (glad I got the ticket free). Half of the time Melle Mel was just showing of his muscles and the rapping was just wack.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I've never been to a show where a rapper was headlining, but having to sit through Busdriver before Los Mutantes played last year was painful.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The Flobots and Busdriver opening for PUTS.

Me to this young lady backstage: "Are you a friend of the band?"

Her: "I'm the electric fiddle player."

What part of the game is that?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    The Flobots and Busdriver opening for PUTS.

Me to this young lady backstage: "Are you a friend of the band?"

Her: "I'm the electric fiddle player."

What part of the game is that?

For the Flobots, right? Ugh. So awful. I'm still scarred from that TV appearance I happened upon.

De La Soul, spent what seemed like half the damn show trying to determine what side of the venue "real hip hop was at"

Oh man. KRS did this same shit when I saw him a couple of years ago. Is this a requirement in the True School Handbook? His show was pretty good otherwise, and his pacing was good and all that, and then he would just mess up the flow of the show with this shit. "Yes, Kris, the real hip-hop is still over here like we were five minutes ago. We haven't left."

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Souls of Mischief in 2000 with the x-Men. It wasn't that they put on a bad show, but only about 12 people showed up and it was kind of awkward.

Also, I saw Kool Keith twice, the first time we saw him at tower about an hour before the show and he was looking at his own cds. I guess it got him hyped because his show was live as F*ck. The next time I saw him he came out about 2 and a half hours late and was on stage for about 30 minutes. Shit was awful.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I've never seen a good rap show. Well, I saw the Beastie Boys around CYH and it was approaching decent. The wurst of the wurst: I saw TCQ around LET and it was so terrible I had PTSD. So I stopped going a long time ago.

• Nas. Granted I was knackered but it's the only gig I've been to where I fell asleep standing up and dropping my drink on someones foot in the process.

Second worst was Kool Keith, really failed to live up to expectation and stage prescence was non-existant. What annoyed me most was the stage wasn't very deep so he spent most of his set leaning on the DJ booth facing his hypeman so all you really saw was his right arm. Although he did hang around in the bar afterwards (trying to mack this minging girl) and he was quite affable when I spoke to him, which is a shame really. Kutmaster Kurt is an awful DJ too I seem to recall.

Has anyone here ever tried to get a refund from a promoter/ticket seller because you felt the performer was, well... shite basically....?

• Sugar Hill Gang feat. Melle Mel some years ago. Didn??t expect much but damn it was horrible (glad I got the ticket free). Half of the time Melle Mel was just showing of his muscles and the rapping was just wack.

Not seen Melle before but someone was telling me he came over to one of the B-boy championships in the 90's and was doing the whole muscle flex thing. Unfortunately a certain member of the crowd (he used to draw the covers for Big Daddy magazine) started flexing their (presumably non-existant) muscles back at him which he wasn't too happy about and I think he went off in a huff...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    KRS has performed one of the best and one of the worst shows I've ever seen, just a couple years apart. Seeing him around the time of the "KRS-One" LP was some of the most amazing live performance of ANY kind I've seen... I can only imagine what it must've been like around the time they were recording "Hardcore Worldwide". Then saw him several years later and it was a joke. He would do the whole "where's the real hip-hop at" thing, he would ramble for ten minutes at a time about one thing or another, he went off on this whole metaphysical thing about how one's energy could change someone else's life, and then ran from one end of the stage to the other chanting, "touch my hand! change your life. Touch my hand! change your life." and slapping fives to the front row. Just terrible.

Kool Keith was easily one of the worst too, although he did bring the comic relief. Dude went on a rant about - no lie - Cal Tjader (which he pronounced Cal Tuh-jader) after the whole "I don't need! Roger Troutman. I don't need! Bootsy..." thing. Dude went off. It was so random, and amazing. And yeah, Kutmaster Kurt on the DAT player. "Play another joint Kurt!" Keith would scream every two minutes or so. He barely made it through any songs. It was painful.

I've been to plenty, far more than my share, of bad rap shows over the years... but those two stand out for their ambiguity.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    DJ Spooky - I f*ckin hate that guy because I saw him live...he sucks donkey balls

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Choclair was terrible when i saw him open for Rahzel.

Kool Keith was easily one of the worst too, although he did bring the comic relief.

Yeah he did the whole go-on-two-hours-late-and-perform-for-30-minutes thing when I saw him but there was some comic relief too: he threw out snacks to the audience, I wanna say like fried chicken in plastic sandwich baggies and individual Doritos bags?

Choclair was terrible when i saw him open for Rahzel.

I saw that show down here - I didn't pay attention to him but some of the younger dudes I knew there left thinking he was the truth!

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    I'm surprised about Kool Keith being on this list, were these shows recent? I saw him in the 90's and thought it was a great show. I even caught the fried chicken. It was delicious.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Kool Keith handed out Ziploc pouches of Chicken,fruit, and some other shit.

He tore Wetlands up though.