Jaded digger seeking enlightenment TOKYO related

staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Im finally heading to Tokyo for two weeks with the old lady in a few days...Now I know its supposed to be the shit for records and things BUT heres the thingIs it going to be worth facing the wrath of the GF for making her wait while i dig?should i schlep records from there to here?is digging there going to be a pain in the ass and overpriced?in short should i do like confucius say: F*ck it, skip the vinyl altogether and just vibe ??? ill be hitting up fleamarkets anywayif i only hit up one spot which one should it be??shit is bugging me.. like... AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH any anecdotes containing any nuggets of insight of any kind will be much appreciated...

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Don't take your girlfriend

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    does your g/f have any hobbies/interests she can pursue on her own? You dont tell her your going diggin, you tell her your making time for her to go do whatever shes into and you'll meet her back in an hour, then you get all 'sorry babe I dont know my way around japan and i took the wrong train etc' speech when you show up to the hotel 8 hours later....

However you will still have to come up with a decent stroy to explain all the wax you got with you...'funny thing babe, on that wrong train I took, someone left a box of records behind...i guess its fate hey..."

Or being that its Japan, perhap they got 24hour record spots, so all yu got to do is sneak out at 2 am and your sailing free...

• Where are you going to be in Japan? It's a big country-

If your lady likes shopping just go to some malls and shop with her you'll have fun buying shit other than records. Young people culture there is pretty focused around shopping- so why not? I mean if you're really all that zen about shit, why would you be posting about it on the internet.

there are big shopping districts where you could both find stuff and not even split up too much- even at all- if you just do some casual dip into a shop and cop something that jumps out at you. Do you need to be all zombie marathon digger as soon as you see records?

Does your lady really hate records?

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    I even hate go digging with other people where I have to wait and the place has none of the types of records I look for.

It's not a bad idea to try to split up for a bit so she can pursue her own interests and you can dig at the same time. There are tons of record shops in Shibuya, that area also has a lot of department stores and some boutique shops. If you're here for the first time it might be a little bit of a challenge to work your way around there but it's worth a shot if you can't resist digging while you're here. You will be paying for what you get though, don't expect any major bargains.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I'm in Tokyo right now with DJ Serious.

The Yen is kinda strong right now (Well, against what it was this same time last year when I was here versus the Canadian dollar). I would just do a convert in your head and see if a particular record is worth it for you. I would suggest to let the g/f go have some time for herself and meet up after you've gone record shopping (It's not like there isn't a crap load for her to do here on her own with shopping and seeing the sights). Make sure to take her to Kyoto...

I went into an HMV the other day just to look at J-drama DVD's and I saw this outta the corner of my eye.

Only 4330 Yen. Convert to US = about $45. SPECIAL PRICE!!!

I know it's an import. I just hope Day got more than 5 bucks off that.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Thanks guys - not bringing the Girl Friend is not an option although i appreciate the thought...

i should have been less aloof i guess and just asked for dope digging spots so let me ask you this -

what is the one must hit spot if I only hit one record store?

i'll return the favor by posting pics from tokyo on any requested subject (thats right except for That one)

• J_RoyJ_Roy 33 Posts
    Go to Shibuya, drop G/f off at Tokyu Hands and find the cluster of record shops just around there. Both are happy.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    If you you're willing to drop loot then East Records in Jimbocho. For something that's more in the way, Disk Union (soul/jazz shop) in Shibuya or the Disk Unions in Shinjuku (several specialty shops). Depends on what you're looking for obviously.

• Yeah, I like East as well!

Drop her at Hands and hit the surrounding shops is probably the correct answer though. Hit the 4th floor Recohan as well, not too far from Hands.