How do you pronounce this word?

verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Via. As in, you can exit via the back door. I thought you pronounced it "VEE-uh," but my coworker repeatedly pronounces it "VY-uh," like a long I. I find it incredibly annoying. This goes along a number of other mispronunciations he does all the time that sort of roll up into a larger ball of annoyance. I would correct him, but I kind of prefer just letting him sound like an ass. Is one way correct, or are they both legit?

Comments

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i say veeuh but im pretty sure either way is fine to say. maybe the strong I is for fancy people.

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts

Pronunciation: ˈvī-ə, ˈvē-ə

Either or...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    How do say Viaduct?

It's the same word.

If anything you are saying it the wrong way and coworker is correct.

regards
    a fancy person.

• aw shit. yer both right. damn evolving languages...

• It comes from Latin. In Latin it would be "vee-ugh". "Vie-ugh" is a modern and accepted mispronunciation.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I believe "vē-ə" is technically an Anglicization of the Latin "ˈvī-ə".

Short answer: they're both correct.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Thanks hommies. He mispronounces all kinds of shit so I don't know which way is up with him. He'll bust out "irregardless" from time to time, completely free of irony.

• I say VEE-uh unless I'm saying "VY-uh satellite" (which, admittedly, is rare).

Let's add "NEE-ther" versus "NY-ther" to the discussion. I maintain that those who say "NY-ther" would never pronounce it that way when they say "Me neither."

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    oh man, you want to keep going with this?

I'm a "NEE-ther" guy. Except when I'm trying to sound faux-haughty when saying the phrase, "neither here nor there" and then I'll say "NY-ther." That is not often, however.

Normally, I'm one of the Knights who say NEE

• oh man, you want to keep going with this?

I'm a "NEE-ther" guy. Except when I'm trying to sound faux-haughty when saying the phrase, "neither here nor there" and then I'll say "NY-ther." That is not often, however.

Normally, I'm one of the Knights who say NEE

But would you say, "Me NY-ther? Ever ever ever?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I would say 야! 너 머야? ... 야 썅넘아 너 죽을래?