motown 45 favorites

pabloscooterpabloscooter 370 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
I vaugely remember a thread that may have covered this recently but when I try to search it, it's frank wilson thread for days, and junk about that madlib mixBut, I pulled out a few motown 45's I hadn't really thought about in a long time- couple of ones I've always kept and liked but rarely gave much play to, and rediscovered some nice songs I should play more often. Marvalettes- as long as I know he's mineFour tops- I'll turn to stoneGladys Knight- Everybody needs loveJunior Walker- Cleo's moodMary Wells- Whats easy for twoAnybody else have motown singles staying in the box (or heavy rotation)?

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Lee and the Leopards "Trying to Make it"

Sammy Ward and Sherri Taylor "Lover"

Marvin Gaye "One More Heartache"

• unityunity 179 Posts
    Willie Hutch - "I Choose You" b/w "Brother's Gonna Work It Out"

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Originals--Supernatural Voodoo Woman (on SOUL label)

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I don't think I've played any of these recently, but they are lesser-known faves of mine:

P.J. - "It Takes A Man To Teach A Woman How To Love"

Dee Mullins - "Love Makes The World Go 'Round, But Money Greases The Wheel"

Richard "Popcorn" Wylie - "Funky Rubber Band"

Ozone - "Li'l Suzy"

Smokey Robinson & the Miracles - "Doggone Right"

Dynamic Superiors - "Shoe Shoe Shine"

Gladys Knight & the Pips - "You Need Love Like I Do, Don't You?"

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Edwin Starr: Running Back and Forth

It's slightly different from the LP version but that diff makes a big diff

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Velvelettes - He Was Really Saying Something

Gladys Knight - End of Our Road

Marvin Gaye - Chained

Underdogs - Love's Gone Bad

Miracles - Whole Lotta Shakin' In My Heart

• haze25haze25 759 Posts

the lp that features this tune is super solid and really easy to find, i'm sure theres a handful on e-bay right now for 10 or less. great production by ashford/simpson, and the lead singer of the group is a fantastic vocalist.

it's the first "raer" i ever bought, before that i was picking up basic shit, in a way this album opened the door of obscure records to me.

peace,xavier

the lp that features this tune is super solid and really easy to find, i'm sure theres a handful on e-bay right now for 10 or less. great production by ashford/simpson, and the lead singer of the group is a fantastic vocalist.

it's the first "raer" i ever bought, before that i was picking up basic shit, in a way this album opened the door of obscure records to me.

peace,xavier

Not to bust anybody's chops, but "Shoe Shoe Shine" was a huge hit in its' time, on the soul charts (where it went Top 20), so there's a reason why the album and 45 are relatively easy to find.

While it is hardly a "raer," I totally understand your point - the song is fairly lost to time. You almost never hear this song (or their other hit, "Leave It Alone") on dusties shows. And as far as I know, when Motown keeps reissuing their hits on different compilations, "Shoe Shine" doesn't turn up as much as "Baby Love" or "...Grapevine" or even "Brick House," probably because it never crossed over pop. Too bad - this was one of Motown's finest moments, and those are some BITTER lyrics to be coming from the pen of Nick Ashford and Valerie Simpson! A lost classic for real.

The Dynamic Superiors are also known for having one of the first openly gay lead singers (Tony Washington) in soul music...Sylvester was around, too, but he didn't break out until a few years later.

• brenda holloway - when im gone
    bobby taylor & vancouvers - its growing
    kim weston - thrill a moment
    bunny paul - im hooked

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    heres a few where both sides are great!

please forgive me/bye bye baby - mary wells
    when im gone/ive been good to you - brenda holloway
    tracks of my tears/fork in the road - smokey and the miracles

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

peace,xavier

Not to bust anybody's chops, but "Shoe Shoe Shine" was a huge hit in its' time, on the soul charts (where it went Top 20), so there's a reason why the album and 45 are relatively easy to find.

While it is hardly a "raer," I totally understand your point - the song is fairly lost to time. You almost never hear this song (or their other hit, "Leave It Alone") on dusties shows. And as far as I know, when Motown keeps reissuing their hits on different compilations, "Shoe Shine" doesn't turn up as much as "Baby Love" or "...Grapevine" or even "Brick House," probably because it never crossed over pop. Too bad - this was one of Motown's finest moments, and those are some BITTER lyrics to be coming from the pen of Nick Ashford and Valerie Simpson! A lost classic for real.

The Dynamic Superiors are also known for having one of the first openly gay lead singers (Tony Washington) in soul music...Sylvester was around, too, but he didn't break out until a few years later.
    Not the same Dynamic Superiors that did gospel 45s on Wallers Echo right?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Anyways, one that I just got & am liking is Chuck Jackson "The Man In You". I really like the Chuck Jackson "Arrives" LP it is the lead off single from & finally got around to getting the 45.

peace,xavier

Not the same Dynamic Superiors that did gospel 45s on Wallers Echo right?

I never heard of a gospel DS until I did some Googling and came across the Dynamic Soul Superiors, who are evidently from Detroit. The "Shoe Shine" Superiors were from DC, so probably not.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

While it is hardly a "raer," I totally understand your point - the song is fairly lost to time. You almost never hear this song (or their other hit, "Leave It Alone") .

Yeah' Leave It Alone' is a killer tune that should get more attention IMO. The track realy builds up, and the horn stabs and vocal breakdowns always give me a buzz.... And co sign on the vocal ability of the group.

How many LPs did they record? I only ever seen the LP with L.I.A on it (which is one of my favoutire Motown covers too)

How many LPs did (the Dynamic Superiors) record? I only ever seen the LP with L.I.A on it (which is one of my favoutire Motown covers too)

Four albums in all between 1975-77, all on Motown. One of these LP's, Pure Pleasure, was retitled Face The Music (and given a different cover).

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    never mind.

peace,xavier

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    i thought the first lp (w/ the legs coming out of the tub) was released in 74?

peace,xavier

• Just recently heard Barbara Randolph "Can I Get A Witness" on Soul. Great stuff.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

How many LPs did (the Dynamic Superiors) record? I only ever seen the LP with L.I.A on it (which is one of my favoutire Motown covers too)

Four albums in all between 1975-77, all on Motown. One of these LP's, Pure Pleasure, was retitled Face The Music (and given a different cover).

cheers for the info.

now who's holding spare copies they wanna sell?

I swear the Motown pool of records seems to have dried up down under....

i thought the first lp (w/ the legs coming out of the tub) was released in 74?

The album with the legs was from '75, and was their second - Pure Pleasure.

The first LP from '74 was self-titled and contained both "Shoe Shoe Shine" and "Leave It Alone". Had a painting of the group on the cover.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    Barbara Randolph - I Got A Feeling/You Got Me Hurtin' All Over - Soul

Most all Brenda Holloway 45s on Tamla, esp Just Look What You've Done/You've Made Me So Very Happy

Four Tops - Don't Bring Back Memories - Motown

Smokey + Miracles - If Your Mother Only Knew; Baby That's Backatcha - Tamla

Kim Weston - Helpless - Gordy

David Ruffin - Rode By The Place; You Can Come Right Back To Me - Motown

Eddie Kendricks - Date With The Rain

All Carolyn Crawford 45s on Motown

etc.