Tibet checking in

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Not sure if there's records here yet. But I can tell you shit is cold and the air is wild thin. Going up a flight of stairs is a struggle. Most of Lhasa is Chinese but I managed to meet some fly Tibetan mamas who took me to a Tibetan club last night and heard Tibetan rap. Shit was nuts. People are crazy generous with the beer shots here; my head hurts. I'm on that Dimox anti-altitude sickness schitt and it makes my fingers tingle and carbonated beverages taste like schitt.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I had Tibetan for dinner tonight...but, uh, I'm in Seattle. Not the real deal!

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Not sure if there's records here yet. But I can tell you shit is cold and the air is wild thin. Going up a flight of stairs is a struggle. Most of Lhasa is Chinese but I managed to meet some fly Tibetan mamas who took me to a Tibetan club last night and heard Tibetan rap. Shit was nuts. People are crazy generous with the beer shots here; my head hurts. I'm on that Dimox anti-altitude sickness schitt and it makes my fingers tingle and carbonated beverages taste like schitt.

Did they play 'Tibetan Jam'?

Yo, Tibetan rap...I want to hear/see more....

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Yo, Tibetan rap...I want to hear/see more....

I'm trying to cop some tapes before I leave. I'm in Tibet only another few days before heading overland through China to Laos.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Out of curiosity, what's the objective of your trip? Travel, work, study?

just traveling: India, Nepal, Tibet, China, Laos, Vietnam...

• If you have a chance, check out the Gedun Choephel artist's guild on the Barkor. A lot of great modern Tibetan artwork.

http://www.asianart.com/gendun/index.html#11

Here's some Tibetan rock too:

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

DUH, DUDE IS ON A SEX TOUR

• cascas 1,484 Posts

THE CHAD WORLD TOUR![/b]
    (sponsored by perrier)

catch him slow dancing to fast songs at your favorite club in your country soon.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    teaching the world to party, one nation at a time.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    are you taking pictures? cause i want to see them and get some travelly ideas. sadly, i accidentally fried my camera's memory card and lost all the pics and video i took in paris and london (560 worth) yikes.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Damn homie... you've been gone for a minute! Glad you're having a good time... take pics and stay safe. When you gonna be back home?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

O Deezey, WHAT are you doing eating "Tibetan" food in Seattle! LOL. You should have called me last night and you could have joined me at the super dope sushi spot for dinner.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Ah yes, sounds like you went to a nangma (Tibetan Disco). Aren't those shows wild? It's like a cultural variety show. Fashion, one-act plays, music (traditional and modern), a fully retractable dance floor, and about like hundreds of choreographed dances by the audience. Beer shots for days, and those things sneak up on you quick at that altitude.

Don't leave before getting bent on some good homemade barley beer (chang).

Make sure you get a chance to see the Buddha at the center of the nangkhor (the jho). Don't go in with the tourists, though,wait in the long line with the rest of the Tibetans. That's about as authentic an experience as you can have in Lhasa. I would also recommend walking the full lingkhor with the pilgrims. It'll take an hour or two, but it is totally worth it.

Also, if time permits, see if you can hire a driver to take you to Lake Namtso. It's incredible.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    If you're traveling by land through Kham and into China, see if you can spend a night in Dartsedo (Kangding). That's a magical little city, IMO.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Word i had tibetan for dinner yesterday night. Good food.

When I was in MacLeod Ganj, in Dharamsala, in India I heard a Tibetan band playing covers of Bob Marley songs in Tibetan--surreal.

beself, saw Lake Namtso and the buddha (after waiting in line with the Tibetans). it was awesome.

Damn homie... you've been gone for a minute! Glad you're having a good time... take pics and stay safe. When you gonna be back home?

be back early June prolly. see you then holmes.