sound exchange?

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
anybody signed up with these guys yet? they have about 80+ songs in their database which i'm holding copyrights on.thanks and peace, stein. . . http://www.soundexchange.com/

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I'd be curious to hear stories about people actually getting money and how much from them...most of the competently run college radio stations have signed up with this and dropped thousands in order to avoid potential legal trouble, and are using services like Spinitron to log playlists. I can't really say I'm a big fan of making non-commercial stations do this but since it exists I can't see why not to sign up if your music is getting played...

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    I work for the UK's equivalent of Soundexchange, and deal with Record Companies / Sound Recording Rights Holders memberships.

Bit busy right now but will be back to add more later.

Theres definately money to be had for labels and performers. We distributed 99.5 Millions Pounds to both performers and Record Companies last year.

Soundexchange are a lot smaller than we are and there is far more limited set of rights to collect on in the US but its money that Labels and performers (if they qualify) are entitled to and with physical sales falling people need to know these things are out there for them.

I'm hopefully going to be far more vocal on this shortly around 'the internet' especially in trying to sign up smaller US labels who may not be aware of this.

Theres also no reason for US labels / Sound Recordings Rights Holders not to join us directly, although we do have a reciprocal deal with SE.