Digging Classical

disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
I don't find the time to listen to a lot of classical music because of so much other stuff I have to listen to but there's so much awesomeness in classical music. I have to deal with it every now and then when I'm at work at a large radio broadcaster. THere I was introduced to a lot composers I didn't know before.I got to know danish composer Carl Nielsen recently and liked it a lot. Also Arvo P??rt is my shit. Debussy, Rodrigo, Prokoviev, Shostakovich, Sibelius are other favorites.J.S.Bach has some ill shit too.I dislike Wagner and Mozart.Who else is into the classical schitt? Can you recommend some heat? Any favorite composers? Anybody digging for Karajan-Grails on vinyl?

Comments

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I like Rachmoninoff and Chopin and Liszt the best.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    glenn gould batches

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Chopin Liszt

tee hee

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    muszorsky

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I like Rachmoninoff and Chopin and Liszt the best.

Liszt is a big name here in Weimar. He lived and worked here for a long time. Also the music college (where I took 2 semesters of electro-acoustical music) is named after him.

• Ravel, Beethoven, Shosty, Copeland, and Bach are favorites of mine.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    being from Bayreuth i have to add Wagner of course. His music isn't made to please everyone and it's certainly no music for humming/whisling along while ironing your laundry.
    His music is rather abstract and it can get very tiresome for unexperienced ears, just like the music by Sun Ra, for example. Two years ago i had a first-hand experience of it because I've manged to get one of the sought after student tickets for the final rehearsal of the Schlingensief production of "Parsifal".
    (I had to wait in front of a university building in a line for a whole night, mind you!)

In general Parsifal is considered to be one of his least accesible musical works. This combined with crazy production by Schlingensief made me leave the theater aprox. at halftime after 3 hours (!!!). I regretted it badly that I hadn't informed myself about the plot and the music. I simply had the urge to leave, because i was afraid that my head would explode and I lost all powers of concentration.

To get started with Wagner a connessuer suggested me "Der fliegende Holll??nder" which is said to be his most accesible work.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I had a friend who could play top notch classical guitar and piano, and I got to say, hearing him play Bach solo on an acoustic guitar made me appretiate the music much more than hearing the traditional classical symphony.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I had a friend who could play top notch classical guitar and piano, and I got to say, hearing him play Bach solo on an acoustic guitar made me appretiate the music much more than hearing the traditional classical symphony.

Thats definitely part of the appeal of Glenn Gould too, I think.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i really dont know who i like, but i know what i like. i like the etudes. a lot of the names here look familiar so im guessing u dudes like them too.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    hearing this and watching this is 2 different things.

• rookrook 357 Posts
    violin and cello soli are the shit.

also early music.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

J.S.Bach has some ill shit too.

And at the very moment I read that, I am looking at a Musical Heritage Society record, number 666, of his Cantata #80 and #83 in the front of my "recently listened to but too lazy to put back on the shelf" stack.

Anyhow, I always appreciated the complexity of classical, but it's never been anything that I would listen to very often by chance or choice nor was anything I wanted to research. In the past two years, I have been making an effort to learn all the famous pieces and composers, just because I "should" as a music enthusiast.