The latest SCRATCH mag - Observations

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    do you think large pro DESERVES to be on the cover of a magazine devoted to hip hop producers/production??

If the mag came out in 1993, definitely. In 2005, I don't think so.

He still produces, right?
    He's from the so called "golden era", right?
    Has classics under his belt,right?
    The niche demograph knows who he is, right?

A cover wouldn't be out of the question.

• do you think large pro DESERVES to be on the cover of a magazine devoted to hip hop producers/production??

If the mag came out in 1993, definitely. In 2005, I don't think so.

interesting response seeing as how the cornerstone of hiphop production is celebrating/exposing musicianship from yesteryear(s).....sad

• Digger P:

I'm not defending the mag from criticism. I think everything that people have brought up is entirely valid and fair (for the most part). But complaining about why Large Professor isn't on the cover of the magazine is silly. And no point in his career did Large Pro ever command the kind of audience that would have justified a cover, ANYWHERE. I like dude too, love his production but in terms of groundbreaking, well, you got Marley Marl. In terms of next level, you got Pete Rock. In terms of jeep beats, you got Primo. In terms of producing albums that changed the game, you got the Bomb Squad or Dr. Dre.

Let me put this a different way: I recently had to clean out the storage closet of my old apartment where I had stashed over a HUNDRED back issues of different rap magazines from the early '90s: not just Source and Rap Pages but also URB, The Flavor, Ego Trip, Straight From the Lip, 4080, Klub, Rewind, The Bomb, and a bunch of other publications that have since gone the way of the recycling heap. Large Professor - IN HIS PRIME - appeared on only one cover I can think of, the Ego Trip "Holy Trinity" cover alongside Q-Tip and Posdnuos (I may have that wrong so anyone else with the issue handy, please correct me). He didn't make the cover of magazines that were FAR more dedicated this his aesthetic, like URB or The Flavor (not that i know of anyways), etc.

What possible, rational logic exists to put Large Professor on the cover of a mainstream music mag like Scratch? "Integrity" is a red herring, especially since most of the 17 year olds the mag is marketing at probably don't even know who the fuck Large Professor is. I agree, dude deserves a longer feature in the future. But the cover? C'mon.

if i'm not mistaken he was also on the cover of an early issue of On The Go.

carry on.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I was the 1000th person to view this thread, what do I win?

A subscription to SCRATCH of course! You'll feel like the luckiest person in the world when it arrives in your mailbox. Contact Andre Torres for details.

Weeee! Here's a question, why do I post on forums such as this one instead of making a living for myself? That's just plain silly if you ask me.

Cheerio.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Oliver,

Your resistance to a Large Professor cover proves that you are disconnected from those who are really, really disconnected from the streets.

too funny!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Digger P:

I'm not defending the mag from criticism. I think everything that people have brought up is entirely valid and fair (for the most part). But complaining about why Large Professor isn't on the cover of the magazine is silly. And no point in his career did Large Pro ever command the kind of audience that would have justified a cover, ANYWHERE. I like dude too, love his production but in terms of groundbreaking, well, you got Marley Marl. In terms of next level, you got Pete Rock. In terms of jeep beats, you got Primo. In terms of producing albums that changed the game, you got the Bomb Squad or Dr. Dre.

Let me put this a different way: I recently had to clean out the storage closet of my old apartment where I had stashed over a HUNDRED back issues of different rap magazines from the early '90s: not just Source and Rap Pages but also URB, The Flavor, Ego Trip, Straight From the Lip, 4080, Klub, Rewind, The Bomb, and a bunch of other publications that have since gone the way of the recycling heap. Large Professor - IN HIS PRIME - appeared on only one cover I can think of, the Ego Trip "Holy Trinity" cover alongside Q-Tip and Posdnuos (I may have that wrong so anyone else with the issue handy, please correct me). He didn't make the cover of magazines that were FAR more dedicated this his aesthetic, like URB or The Flavor (not that i know of anyways), etc.

What possible, rational logic exists to put Large Professor on the cover of a mainstream music mag like Scratch? "Integrity" is a red herring, especially since most of the 17 year olds the mag is marketing at probably don't even know who the fuck Large Professor is. I agree, dude deserves a longer feature in the future. But the cover? C'mon.

carry on.

You are correct, sir. I helped interview him for that article.

And the reason why he was on the cover was because he was the "biggest" rap name that we could get at the time.

However, at this day and age he doesn't deserve a cover.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

carry on.

You are correct, sir. I helped interview him for that article.

And the reason why he was on the cover was because he was the "biggest" rap name that we could get at the time.

However, at this day and age he doesn't deserve a cover.
    That's all I'm saying.

Anyways, I might have gotten the 17 year old demographic thing wrong - it's probably more aimed at 18-15 year olds. As for it being mainstream, I meant in terms of its perception of hip-hop. I mean, that's why Timbaland, the Neptunes, Kanye and Lil Jon have graced the cover and not Pete Rock or 9th Wonder.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    You fuggin' guys!

There are plenty of excellent reasons to trash this magazine.

Not giving Large Professor a cover isn't one of them.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    fuggin'

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    fuggin'

He says schitt*. What do you expect.

Besides it's fun to sound like Ben Grimm.

*Admittedly my irony meter may need servicing on that one.

fuggin'

Stuff it, terd.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I was chilling with Mr. Torres last night at my spot. We were drinking tequila and both screaming in DJ Ayres' ear about him being a punk. I don't know why, but maybe it was because it's his birthday.

Anyway he told me some really good and exciting news about Wax P. It's good that he's not dealing with that Scratch beast anymore.

I was also chilling with this girl J** last night who was thick and was wearing some sort of mumu and who was so insanely sexy that I'll have mental images for months. Her roomate just turned 21 last night, and at one point of the evening J** asked me "So E***** tells me you don't mess with jailbait. What can we do to change your mind?"

I go through shit like this every Thursday. I love my job, and hate it with an equal passion,

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    fuggin'

Stuff it, terd.

Take it pearsonal.

fuggin'

Stuff it, terd.

Take it pearsonal.

Moderhattoir--ban this poptart!

fuggin'

Stuff it, terd.

Take it pearsonal.

Moderhattoir--ban this poptart!

Pfft. Peep the surveillance-camera footage of Regatta outside Andre Torres's split-level ranch:

I understand they had to hit duke with some Hostess fruit pies to get him chillaxed.

Nice briefs, though.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I understand they had to hit duke with some Hostess fruit pies to get him chillaxed.

Nice briefs, though.

Funny you should mention that on this board; I just finished Peter Shapiro's disco book which reminded me of the Marvel comics universe/Hostess fruit pies/disco music nexus, for the first time in, well, a long time.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hahahah... yeah Daze!

Nice briefs, though.

"No overgrown toy is gonna keep this blue-eyed pretty boy tied down against his will!"

Damn, Ben Grimm does kind of talk like me.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

"No overgrown toy is gonna keep this blue-eyed pretty boy tied down against his will!"

yeah...I think I've heard you say "sheesh, just what I need - another challenge" on more than one occasion too.

Not to mention that he, too, finesses the ascot on occasion:

No word yet on whether or not he's holding Carl Thomas doubles (one tear-stained, one "for good").

Speaking of disco and comic books and sub-par cultural production: Has anyone seen that Maestro? That shit is kinda scud.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Speaking of disco and comic books and sub-par cultural production

Speaking of disco and comic books and sub-par cultural production

Sorry: For sheer hero-worship, Maestro still wins by a hair. A Larry Levan pubic hair. In a glass case. Climate-controlled.