Lyman Woodard Reissue

marumaru 1,450 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
How are people liking this ? I got the OG, but was debating whether or not to ditch it for the reissue which supposedly sounds a lot better than the original. Plus it has the extra track. Thoughts?

Comments

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    I'm listening to it a lot. Don't have an OG so I can't compare the sound quality, but it sounds great on my sh!tty set-up. Double wax, 2-3 songs per side, nice wide grooves. Comes with a giant poster that makes me wish I had a garage to hang it in. Amir started a thread about it last week that mostly had dudes complaining that they didn't get their pre-ordered copies yet.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Keep the OG, buy the re-ish, then decide.

Personally, I love everything about the OG.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    The reissue is excellent. I've had the original, but I am quite happy with the reissue.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    hows the extra track?

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Buy It Now price: US $50.00

Motherfucker. I didn't read the fine print and see there were only 1500 pressed. I have the OG, but still want the reish. Someone give up their copy!

meh, theyre still in stores round these parts for under $25
    check youre shops day, or pm me and i'll pick one up for you

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    The OG recording is poor, unfortunately, but the music is great and it won't sound better any where else than it does here.

I prefer gatefold to poster for a double Lp, though.

Just me?

• it's in stock here...

http://www.undergroundhiphop.com/store/d...rds&UPC=WPR05CD

is the claim of limited to 1500 copies for real...seems that some limited pressed releases aren't really limited...check out mayer hawthorne 10inch or MRR-ADM malcolm catto joint. just wondering?

i never had any problems with the og recording.
    methinks some audiophile ass finicky bitches done snuck up in the strut

still waiting for any word on the bonus track. feelin it?

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    yeah i've always been cool with the way the OG sounds, but it makes me curious to hear the reissue

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    the new cover does look better

but I'm happy with my OG( in shrink)

disappointed I didn't grab an OG promo poster for 150 when I had a chance tho

• I picked this up yesterday. Sounds of the Universe in London have a few copies still. It's a great reissue, with good linear notes and sounds amazing. Well worth picking up if you can track it down still.

• i'm gonna cop this now from honest jons, they're the cheapest for it over in the UK and as usual with the wax poetics reissues its gonna be good quality. i'd say cop it quick since wax po have sold out, even if you just keep it as a future trade since you've got an OG.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

I think I'm just going to post another reply with no reference to the extra track.

Honestly... I'm neither here nor there about the additional track. I prefer the original mix of that particular cut, so it's not really a big deal for me. But it's cool to hear. One more track of goodness.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    The whole thing is a great package and certainly sounds better than the reissue I got from Dustygroove years ago. But these things don't take up that much space so I will just keep them both for now.

I have a theory that someday all those Scorpio reissues are gonna be worth big fat cash some day. Huh? Who's with me?

• the release is definitely limited to 1500 copies and by the way hand numbered....this project has been a dream of mine for a long time and I finally was not only able to meet Lyman but also give some justice to him by re-releasing this record. thank you to everyone out there that picked this up.

thanks,

amir

i never had any problems with the og recording.
    methinks some audiophile ass finicky bitches done snuck up in the strut

still waiting for any word on the bonus track. feelin it?

Sorry I have a good ear - that's the way I was made.

• the reason there is no gatefold is because to do a gatefold on 180 gram double vinyl is impossibly expensive. also the gatefold has to be specially made to fit two thick ass pieces of vinyl. didn't want complaining about the wholesale and retail price too much. believe me, ppl do

amir

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    just ordered one. (meant to a long time ago) thanks for the reminder.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

where?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

where?

http://store.acousticsounds.com/store.cfm

• Accesshiphop.com also has some in stock.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    the reason there is no gatefold is because to do a gatefold on 180 gram double vinyl is impossibly expensive. also the gatefold has to be specially made to fit two thick ass pieces of vinyl. didn't want complaining about the wholesale and retail price too much. believe me, ppl do

amir

I completely disagree with this statement for two reasons:

1. The cost of the gatefold adds about 40 cents per unit (it's actually cheaper than doing a single pocket gatefold)

2. No one cares about paying an extra dollar or two for something they want

Have faith in your tribe.

The whole thing is a great package and certainly sounds better than the reissue I got from Dustygroove years ago. But these things don't take up that much space so I will just keep them both for now.

I have a theory that someday all those Scorpio reissues are gonna be worth big fat cash some day. Huh? Who's with me?

who knows what the future will bring, but I doubt it. Not particularly high quality and they seem to keep them in print indefinitely. No extra liner notes or unreleased tracks or anything.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I just ordered a copy from soundsintheuniverse (not going to come across an OG anytime soon) and if it's of the same quality as the two other WaxPo reishes I have (East Of Underground and Melvyn Price), then I'm a happy camper, gatefold or not.

Re: the cost of different cover/vinyl combinations, I wonder what it cost Mowax to do that first pressing of the Axelrod album. That has got to be one of the biggest, heaviest gatefolds covers I own.

@ Amir and co.: keep up the good work. It is appreciated.

• sorry dude, i HAVE to disagree with you! again, i said for a double vinyl 180 gram gatefold which has to be specially made...it's not a a common gatefold. plus, MAD people complained about the wholesale and retail prices...mad spots in the UK complained and actually refused to order the record. I mean it's their lose but that sux. lastly, you are forgetting that the cost to press isn't the only thing I have to take into consideration: the advance, digtially remastering the og tapes..a lot of shit.

amir

• yo bring up a good point because we had a lot of problems with people complaining about "why should I buy your reissue for way more money than the scorpio one." actually had people call me a fool for charging more and saying who cares about the packaging..i won't name any names but ppl from large distro companies that bootleg and reissue shit all the time. i am not complaining cause i know we did justice to this record...

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    sorry dude, i HAVE to disagree with you! again, i said for a double vinyl 180 gram gatefold which has to be specially made...it's not a a common gatefold. plus, MAD people complained about the wholesale and retail prices...mad spots in the UK complained and actually refused to order the record. I mean it's their loss but that sux. lastly, you are forgetting that the cost to press isn't the only thing I have to take into consideration: the advance, digtially remastering the og tapes..a lot of shit.

amir

Amir-

I do this for a living, I know the prices. You work at Stoughton, we work at Stoughton. It's not much more, and it's totally worth it.

Your double LP lists for $19.99, our double LPs list for $22.99. Gatefolds? Check. Deluxe vinyl? Check. Pro mastering job? Check. Fully licensed? Check. Quality costs, and people who want it will pay for it. Don't undersell your stuff! If stores balk at the price, they'll be the ones coming back hat in hand when their customers demand they carry it.

I might as well weigh in with the retail perspective...

I like stocking both companies' stuff but the price point DOES make a difference. So does the wholesale cost... it might sound like nickel and dime shit but $25 vs $20 is tangibly different to the consumer. And an extra $2-3 on wholesale makes a difference.

Just saying.