Anyone peep this Susan Boyle audition?

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Reminds me of this one........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k08yxu57NA

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    I love how everyone is so (gasp!) (stunned!)

Like it's so unusual for someone to be plain looking and talented at the same time.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    sweet

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Like it's so unusual for someone to be plain looking and talented at the same time.

I think it was really more about the 47-year-old woman who never had a chance to realize her dream of becoming a singer going on TV and singing a song called "I Dreamed A Dream" to perfection.

• I love how everyone is so (gasp!) (stunned!)

I think it was really more about the 47-year-old woman who never had a chance to realize her dream of becoming a singer going on TV and singing a song called "I Dreamed A Dream" to perfection.

also she is a virgin cat-lady from a small village in Scotland and these types of shows thrive on making delusional people look like idiots, thus the expectation on the audience's part that she would fail miserably. On top of that her voice is amazing.

Yes, that's why she got the standing ovation and has become an overnight sensation, which is wonderful. But it says something that people would be utterly shocked that she could be so talented, don't you think? You see people rolling her eyes at her when she takes the stage, because she doesn't look or act the way an aspiring star would act or look in this day and age. That's the part I was commenting on.

Presumably the producers had heard her audition before she took the stage, no? I don't know how these things work. But if so, then certainly they were trading on that prejudice they knew the audience would have, for the shock value of her proving she's really got chops.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    But it says something that people would be utterly shocked that she could be so talented, don't you think? You see people rolling her eyes at her when she takes the stage, because she doesn't look or act the way an aspiring star would act or look in this day and age. That's the part I was commenting on.

Presumably the producers had heard her audition before she took the stage, no? I don't know how these things work. But if so, then certainly they were trading on that prejudice they knew the audience would have, for the shock value of her proving she's really got chops.

I think the unfortunately named lepoohpooh hit that on the head with "these types of shows thrive on making delusional people look like idiots, thus the expectation on the audience's part that she would fail miserably." I imagine the producers had heard her sing, and put her out there precisely to surprise the audience and keep them guessing in the future. It's a feel-good story deftly manipulated to the benefit of the program. And the audience was responding exactly as it had been trained to. I don't see it so much as a comment on society as I do a comment on the expectations these shows create in their audiences.

Good point! It's kinda gross to see someone being used for shock value but I imagine anyone who puts themselves on a talent or reality-based show had better either be in on the joke or suffer the consequenses of their own delusions. She seems to have a good sense of humor about herself. I hope she does well!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    the whole thing seems pretty pre-meditated with the music swelling when simon gives a yes, and everything.

Also I don't understand why people were expecting her to fail so hard... she just looks like a lady, not a freak or anything.....

the whole thing seems pretty pre-meditated with the music swelling when simon gives a yes, and everything.

Also I don't understand why people were expecting her to fail so hard... she just looks like a lady, not a freak or anything.....

That's what I was saying. She's just a regular average looking person, acting a little goofy. But it's like as soon as someone steps on stage they are supposed to conform to this standard of looking and behaving.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    The thing that bothers me a bit about these Susan Boyle/Paul Potts types is that they aren't really that good. Yeah, they haven't been formally trained and lead lives like the most of us, but so what. The whole thing reminds me of a Bukowski line: "Natural guts beating natural talent, that's the best."