Jim Morrison the ahole

analog_tapeanalog_tape 604 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
I was watching tv last night and The Doors movie came on. I have seen the movie a half dozen times, but last night i though what an a hole Morrison was. It seems like he ruined alot of their shows. I know I would have been heated back then if I paid to see them and all he did was act like an a hole.

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "A hole"?

Has the Strut censored the word "asshole" too?

• It was all really about him, the doors were a side note.

Just saw Dan Graham's "rock my religion" film at Lacma, It shows how rock has influenced the culture through the last couple centuries through these rock and roll deities (Patti Smith, Minor Threat, Morrison, etc.)

It does a good job of looking at what Morrison was trying to say on an intellectual level, rising above a typical performer into some kind of publicly worshiped holy being and his act of exposing himself as some sort of beatific suicide, only for the public to pass him off as a clown. The way he saw it, I think, was that the rest of the guys (heck the rest of the world) would never be able to understand this or attain his level of existence and he just got really angry about it.

The large amounts of heavy drugs, fame, enormous ego, and Huxley may have had something to do with it as well.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    There's an Oliver Stone thread that I may have very well started about me revisiting The Doors and realizing it was a comedy.

Was a fairly huge revelation for someone who purchased his poetry book in high school.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Morrison did 2 nonasshole things.
    At the very first Doors rehearsal he put down the rule that all songs would carry all 4 members names on the songwriting credits.

He refused to license the songs for commercials.

At the very first Doors rehearsal he put down the rule that all songs would carry all 4 members names on the songwriting credits.

this didnt last

this didnt last

The 2 I have right here are Doors, and Waiting For The Sun. All Selections Written By The Doors.

We know Jim did the lyrics almost exclusively. As for music, that keyboard ahole says he did it all.

this didnt last

The 2 I have right here are Doors, and Waiting For The Sun. All Selections Written By The Doors.

We know Jim did the lyrics almost exclusively. As for music, that keyboard ahole says he did it all.

Turns out we're both (sorta) right.

I think they temporarily dropped the "group credit" thing on Soft Parade because Robby Krieger, on "Tell All The People," wrote a lyric involving guns that Jim Morrison didn't agree with. Only four songs (out of nine) had the entire band credited.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Jim Morrison was as big a dick as Val Kilmer. It all works out, circle of life.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Jim Morrison was as big a dick as Val Kilmer.

Now THAT'S impossible... I hear.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I think they temporarily dropped the "group credit" thing on Soft Parade because Robby Krieger, on "Tell All The People," wrote a lyric involving guns that Jim Morrison didn't agree with. Only four songs (out of nine) had the entire band credited.

I thought he didn't like the whole "follow me" aspect of it.

But anyway, what a terd of a song. I just listened to that LP and it is definitely the weak link in what otherwise is a pretty impressive discography.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Jim Morrison was as big a dick as Val Kilmer.

Now THAT'S impossible... I hear.

There's a copy of Soft Parade autographed by Val Kilmer hanging up in my Brooklyn store.

He was cool about signing it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I met Val Kilmer about 10 years ago and dude was mad cool. We were all fucked up on absinthe so maybe that's why...

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    It shows how rock has influenced the culture through the last couple centuries through these rock and roll deities

Damn I better start looking for some 1860's rock and roll heat and a bit of 1780's Rhythem and Blues!

I think the key thing with all these rock gods is that they are dead so people can create myths and storys about them that they wont come back to dispute, or they can over exagerate their talents and hide their flaws knowing the artist isnt around to F*ck that up.

Imagine if Morrsion was still alive he'd be giving Ozzy Ozbourne a run for his money in the 'embarasing caricature of former self' category.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    I met Val Kilmer about 10 years ago and dude was mad cool. We were all fucked up on absinthe so maybe that's why...
    I worked on a film with him 13 years ago (Island of Dr Moreau) and he acted like a complete douchebag a lot of the time. Almost Christian Bale like tantrums. Brando was on the same film and hated his guts.

He did come to a party at our house at the end of filming and handed out E's to some of the guests. (fairly non doucebag thing to do) I do remember him standing in the living room of our house rushing off his tree. Should have go some photos of him.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

I thought he didn't like the whole "follow me" aspect of it.

But anyway, what a terd of a song. I just listened to that LP and it is definitely the weak link in what otherwise is a pretty impressive discography.

I always kinda liked Soft Parade.

I think the key thing with all these rock gods is that they are dead so people can create myths and storys about them that they wont come back to dispute, or they can over exagerate their talents and hide their flaws knowing the artist isnt around to F*ck that up.

This has been my thesis for years.

People love saying "Hendrix was about to do his best work, he was collaborating with (please pick one) Roland Kirk/Miles Davis/Gil Evans/Frank Zappa/Jim Morrison, just before he died".

Morrison, Hendrix, Cobain were all speared getting old, fat, lazy and making a disco album.
    There is no doubt in my mind that if Hendrix/Morrison had lived they would have put on a white suit and recorded a 12" or Foxy Lady'79/Light My Fire'79.

I'd like to hear a Kurt Cobain disco album. Sounds like twisted gold.

There is no doubt in my mind that if Hendrix/Morrison had lived they would have put on a white suit and recorded a 12" or Foxy Lady'79/Light My Fire'79.

I doubt it. About half of the playlist on FM rock stations in '77-79 were Hendrix/Morrison contemporaries left over from the sixties, like Steve Miller, Fleetwood Mac, Ted Nugent, Pink Floyd and Jefferson Starship. And those acts weren't affected by disco at all, they just became arena rock superstars.

Well, I could MAYBE see someone as decadent as Morrison going disco for a day. But not Hendrix.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I doubt it. About half of the playlist on FM rock stations in '77-79 were Hendrix/Morrison contemporaries left over from the sixties, like Steve Miller, Fleetwood Mac, Ted Nugent, Pink Floyd and Jefferson Starship. And those acts weren't affected by disco at all, they just became arena rock superstars.

Well, I could MAYBE see someone as decadent as Morrison going disco for a day. But not Hendrix.

u dont think w/ his Band Of Gypsies thang, that the next step after Funk would have been Disco w/ Guitar solos on top?

I dunno about Jimi and disco. I think he mighta veered off into patheti-sad blues instead.
    I don't see him making We Built This City on Rock n Roll tho.

maybe not the glossed over pop Disco, but some Dance-oriented Funk ala Who's That Lady by the Isleys. I can see that easily.

Yeah, I can see some rock disco action a la "Miss You." Thinking about it makes me sad cuz it's kinda like what coulda been.

That's the point.
    You can't see Hendrix of Morrison doing disco, because they had the benefit of dying.
    You will always remember them as rocking trailblazers on the cutting edge.

That's why it sux. I like disco.

I never considered "Emotional Rescue" disco per se, even if they meant it that way...like "Another Brick In The Wall," it might be dancefloor friendly, but it's not out-and-out disco like "Another One Bites The Dust." Now THERE was an example of a rock band trying to cross over to Studio 54's crowd.

u dont think w/ his Band Of Gypsies thang, that the next step after Funk would have been Disco w/ Guitar solos on top?

Nope. As I sit here I can think of a lot of rock acts that went "fonky," like Little Feat. But not many that went out-and-out disco (again, Queen comes to mind).

As far as where Hendrix had gone had he lived...I could have seen him doing the Isleys/Sly funk-rock thing easily. In the seventies. But by the time the eighties and nineties roll around, he might conveniently remember his blues roots like Clapton or Bonnie Raitt and remarket himself for the big blues boom of those decades.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I cant front I celebrate Val Kilmer's entire catalogue, terds and all. Real Genius, Top Secret and Heat? dude's legacy is secure, Jesus-freak asshole or not.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    that keyboard ahole

yep.

that keyboard ahole

yep.

Leave Stephen Hawking outta this discussion.