Strut consenus: Immortal Technique

pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Being involved in shantytown projects in LAmerica and as a conscious citizen i feel compeeled by dude's message and i revisited his old catalog as well as his new albumNice flow,great lyrics over okay beats but the recent album (feat Buckwild,ras kass)has some nice joints

I dont think bush knocked down the tower but i feel his position on the music industry (especially for LAmerican artists) and on race relations in the USso what say ye strutYAY or NAYfeel free to clon..i'm trying to get the pulse around these parts

Comments

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    I'll say this first I haven't checkd to many records and can't really get down with all of his milatant politcal views. With that being said Immortal Technique is sparking it with his lyrics. While he's not filling Public Enemeny's shoes (nobody could) he's addressing issues with his music that need to be touched on. I respect that he uses music to get a message across even if I don't always agree with the message. His new song "Mistakes" is great addressing smoking cigs and the legal system. I'd say this song is a "personal mind garden" classic:

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

cuz you got jealousy in ya voice like star scream...

• Dude is terrible.

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    Dude's last record was aight, he stepped it up with the beat choices. He's still way too long-winded and negative towards everything for me.

• Dude is terrible.

i went to see daryl mcdaniels of run dmc speak about hip hop's history. it was aight
    then he starts taking questions at the end and whiteboy thug hipster gets first crack with,
    "yo hommie, theres this guy you gotta check out"
    "whos that?"
    "immortal technique, i really think he would open your eyes about hip hop's current state."
    needless to say it was embarrassing to even witness...

• I'll pass on Marxist-torch carriers on GP.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    uncomfortably bad

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    who woulda thought Faux was gonna say that??!!!

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    NO!

Dude has one of the worst flows in history, and his "music" is nothing but michael moore movies set to mediocre hip hop beats, no thank you.

peace,xavier

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

i for one am shocked

seriously...i am no golden age 5 elements worshipper and immortal does not consider himelf a backpacker..i cringe at jedi mind tricks like the next man

however i challenge people like faux to criticize a song like harlem renaissance or harlem streets for that matter

its very easy to label and stereotype technique but i doubt that those 2 songs (NYC local exp for faux) can be considered horrible on both beats or rhymes

in any case i think the guy commands respect

because he is 100% independent and has paid dues and has a message that is not too preachy or self-absorbed

please convince me otherwise

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

i for one am shocked

seriously...i am no golden age 5 elements worshipper and immortal does not consider himelf a backpacker..i cringe at jedi mind tricks like the next man

however i challenge people like faux to criticize a song like harlem renaissance or harlem streets for that matter

its very easy to label and stereotype technique but i doubt that those 2 songs (NYC local exp for faux) can be considered horrible on both beats or rhymes

in any case i think the guy commands respect

because he is 100% independent and has paid dues and has a message that is not too preachy or self-absorbed[/b]

please convince me otherwise

section in bold is for real?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    haze i agree his beats have been weak (self-produced) but some are excellent in their context

and

worst flows in history

is a tad too much dont you think

is he on malachi's level

(NYC local exp for faux)

This dude is pretty much the antithesis of any kind of local rap experience.

Trust that the only place you'll find his music playing above 110th Street is in Columbia's freshman dorm.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    unnlike said micheal moore

he constantly makes sure to rectify his position and claim it as only an opinion
    'imortal technique i never preached in a song'

heavy criticism that could be considered at best biased and at worst extremist
    YES

preachy
    i dont think it is

do you agree it is important to highlight some all to often overlooked/frogotten historical facts such as puppet democratic regimes and intl US intervention

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Trust that the only place you'll find his music playing above 110th Street is in Columbia's freshman dorm.

The only times I've encountered this guy's music were when kinda dumb dudes have presented it in classes as serious social commentary.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    unnlike said micheal moore

he constantly makes sure to rectify his position and claim it as only an opinion
    'imortal technique i never preached in a song'

heavy criticism that could be considered at best biased and at worst extremist
    YES

preachy
    i dont think it is

do you agree it is important to highlight some all to often overlooked/frogotten historical facts such as puppet democratic regimes and intl US intervention

well, what is preaching if not delivering a series of spirited messages that use words dramatically to try to convince someone of a viewpoint that you consider superior to another position? any rapper who keeps hammering the same points from the same perspective is closer to "preachy" than "non-preachy"

and i say that as someone who has enjoyed some of his music and am at least as far to the left as dude (although I hope I have a more viable conspiracy-theory filter).

I would think even hardcore fans would concede that if he had a fault, preachiness would be one.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I thought that one song where he was talking about that girl who turned out to have AIDS was a pretty good story-telling track. Where's that M. Nyght Shamalam graemlin?

But yeah, I pretty much gave that album one listen. Although I do recall a song I thought would be a good downtempo track without the lyrics.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    The question is, do I really need to hear all that shit shouted at me on a rap record?

My personal answer is "no"

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    kind of unrelated, but i wonder how we as parents are gonna react our kids find their own "public enemy"? i'm gonna ask them if any member wears a clock around their neck. hopefully by that time flavor flav is so obscure he's not known for his reality show antics.

Sure

Do I think it is important for rappers to do so--or to highlight any other particular subject matter? No.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Sure

Do I think it is important for rappers to do so--or to highlight any other particular subject matter? No.

this and johnny's point i agree with

and yes i guess it is preachy but not without merit or value

and i mean he does put people like POISON PEN in the limelight

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    my friends and i did a show with him once. we were at the venue at soundcheck when we were supposed to be. we used one of the last available tables for merch.

he showed up late and didnt have a table.

he got all pissed and started throwing a fit

not only do i think music is shitty but so is his attitude and his mustache looks like he tryin to prove he just hit puberty

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I don't like his gimmick.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I don't like his gimmick.

''You eating off rap, and I hope you choke on your gimmick''

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I dig his music and his message. Thats probably the problem for most no-fans. His message comes before the music, so if you dont like what he' s speaking it would be 'preachy', but for others his words are encouraging and self relfective.

I dont think he's as michael moore-ish as ppl want to paint him, his references and general philosophical arguements have some weight behind them, its not like he's dropping 5% style theories, he does have some historical reference to his points (though many of his non fans would probably not want to be reminded).

I think its not fair to hate on him for doing his style and putting out music with his message and then give props to rappers who have been riming about selling crack, f*cking bitches and general thug fantasies for 5 albums straight. Name me an artist in hip hop who doesnt have a certain style/content/image they stick to.

And even if his whole thing is a gimmick if his music encourages at least some ppl to pick up a book by Che or read about the BPP or check some of the history behind the shit he says, thats a positive.

Plus, How many lps did Too Short do rapping about being a pimp? Whats the difference if an artist chooses to keep talking about shit he thinks is relevant and putting forward an arguement?

I find I.T refreshing cus at least it brings back some intelllect into hip hop, cus if you agree with him you got some smart music to inspire you to keep fighting, and if you really disagree then it weill force you to refine your arguement and position if you want to debate what he's saying.

As for flow and quality of beats, thats a subjective thing, but I find I.T, dead prez, sabac etc bringing back the radical and dissentful streak into hip hop which has been missing for ages. Especially nowdays that voice is much more neccesary.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    well put

and i hardly think people can argue his music is horrendous by any stretch

• I dig his music and his message. Thats probably the problem for most no-fans. His message comes before the music, so if you dont like what he' s speaking it would be 'preachy', but for others his words are encouraging and self relfective.

I dont think he's as michael moore-ish as ppl want to paint him, his references and general philosophical arguements have some weight behind them, its not like he's dropping 5% style theories, he does have some historical reference to his points (though many of his non fans would probably not want to be reminded).

I think its not fair to hate on him for doing his style and putting out music with his message and then give props to rappers who have been riming about selling crack, f*cking bitches and general thug fantasies for 5 albums straight. Name me an artist in hip hop who doesnt have a certain style/content/image they stick to.

And even if his whole thing is a gimmick if his music encourages at least some ppl to pick up a book by Che or read about the BPP or check some of the history behind the shit he says, thats a positive.

Plus, How many lps did Too Short do rapping about being a pimp?[/b] Whats the difference if an artist chooses to keep talking about shit he thinks is relevant and putting forward an arguement?

I find I.T refreshing cus at least it brings back some intelllect into hip hop[/b], cus if you agree with him you got some smart music to inspire you to keep fighting, and if you really disagree then it weill force you to refine your arguement and position if you want to debate what he's saying.

As for flow and quality of beats, thats a subjective thing, but I find I.T, dead prez, sabac etc bringing back the radical and dissentful streak into hip hop which has been missing for ages[/b]. Especially nowdays that voice is much more neccesary.

LOL.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    my main issue with dude is that he's not good at rapping, in the sense that he's off beat, has no voice control, and when he doesn't have anything to say he fills tracks w/ lyrics like "F*ck you! i hope someone dies in your crew!!!", and dude is generaly not a pleasent listening expirience.

i have no problem w/ the contents of his lyrics (polotics) cause i listen to stuff along the lines of what he does (IE dead prez, kller mike and mos def to a lesser extent) cause they do what a rapper should do, RAP WELL.

but don't take me seriously cause i'd rather play freeway, the clipse, T.I, scarface and devin.

PEACE,XAVIER

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    okay i get your point
    i like his lyrical content more than his delivery
    and like all artists mentionned aboved
    loko one has a point about the message before the messenger thing though

however i am not posting this in any attempt at crack rap vs true soldiaz of the hi^phop nation debate

just gathering opinions because dude has not been discussed here a lot

carry on