Happy Mondays...Pills, Thrills, Bellyaches

bsuwolfbsuwolf 83 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
I have a feeling this post will get quite a few , but I was wondering if any strutters ride for this album: This was my favorie album during my Senior year in high school. I still enjoy tunes like Kinky Afro and God's Cop today as much as the first time I heard them. That combined with the VERY dark lyrics of Shaun Ryder were a great combination. Shaun Ryder was (and probably still is) more of a thug than any current rapper. Its too bad they had to piss away the next album in a cesspool of heroin and crack. More bands need a dancer like Bez...PS. Excuse the lack of an image, I am an idiot and can't figure out how to post the cover!!!!

Comments

• i like this album quite a bit. i like a lot of those late-80s early-90s british-rock kids-messing-around-with-dance-music groups: primal scream, stone roses, etc.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    You know, I like that album alright and I was just listening to it the other night as I've been going through records to play at an old friend's birthday party next weekend...but the following comment by you makes me want to blow my runny nose on your thread:

Shaun Ryder was (and probably still is) more of a thug than any current rapper.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I like this record and it sounds of its time more than dated imo.

• bsuwolfbsuwolf 83 Posts
    Sorry about the the thug comment. I was just trying to state that Shaun was actually involved in more "extracurricular" activities than most rappers claim to be in...

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I have a feeling this post will get quite a few , but I was wondering if any strutters ride for this album:

This was my favorie album during my Senior year in high school. I still enjoy tunes like Kinky Afro and God's Cop today as much as the first time I heard them. That combined with the VERY dark lyrics of Shaun Ryder were a great combination. Shaun Ryder was (and probably still is) more of a thug than any current rapper. Its too bad they had to piss away the next album in a cesspool of heroin and crack. More bands need a dancer like Bez...

PS. Excuse the lack of an image, I am an idiot and can't figure out how to post the cover!!!!

I f.uckin' LOVED this album when it was released. Wildly-humorous "thuggish" lyricism paired with then-"state of the art" production and hooks galore. I revisit this album every now and then and am surprised at how well it manages to entertain after all these years. Admittedly, it does sound of it's time, but that's not always a bad thing. Ryder's post HM Black Grape project yielded yet another classic in "It's Great When You're Straight...Yeah."

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts

Thats the way to make a film clip for a band. get your mates neck a ton of E's and let it roll

• just dug it out and listened to it while cleaning the house. it sounded good as hell.

• I'll go one further and stand for the "cleaned up" Shaun of Black Grape. Bez contributing, breakbeats and Kermit/Shaun scatting (in the scatological sense in a few cases). I liked it and played it.