More tracks with this kinda vibe...

Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
I'm currently transferring some old cine films shot by my grandparents around 66'ish to DVD.To emphasise the whole dreamy nostalgic vibe, I have been raiding my expedit for some organic sounding, gentle, stringsy, subtly groovy, easy listening and pallettable to grandparents type music.So far I'm serving up these:Hugo Montenegro - AgainJohnny Harris - Footprints on the MoonAndrew Oldham Orchestra - The Last Time (although this is stretching it a bit)I was considering Percy Faith - First Light, but that one gets a bit too funky in the middle for the grandparents and starts to clash with the vibe of the cine footage tbh.Anyway.. now I'm stuck for ideas.Anyone suggest some more dreamy gently orchestral type stuff ??Anything like Hugo Montengro's Again would be PERRRFECT.Much love.Lee.

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    How about some Gary McFarland?
    His early stuff is on that easy-steez.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Some other LPs on the vibe you describe include:

-"Cry Young"-Ahmad Jamal with Voices.
    -"Soft Samba Strings"-Gary McFarland.
    -"Warm Breezes"-Cal Tjader.
    -"S/T"-Milt Jackson with Strings.
    -"Any Number Can Win" and "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf"-Jimmy Smith.
    -"Collaboration"-Modern Jazz Quartet ft/. Laurindo Almeida.
    -"Wave"-Antonio Carlos Jobim (sort of).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Thanks dudes.

Spot on with the Gary McFarland and Cal Tjader !!

I was also thinking of some Dorothy Ashby, but its surprisingly difficult to find any slow tempo instrumental stuff. The only one that came close was Valley of the Dolls off Afro Harping.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    You can't go wrong with Mancini and Michel Legrand.

"The Happy Ending" OST has a lot of that sentimental-dramatic stringstuff. The Pink Panther OST has some of that too.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    I was also thinking of some Dorothy Ashby, but its surprisingly difficult to find any slow tempo instrumental stuff. The only one that came close was Valley of the Dolls off Afro Harping.

For Dorothy Ashby, how about Essence of Sapphire from The Fantastic Jazz Harp Of...