The Wackness

ReedReed 97 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Meh, kindof a middle-school hipster movie but i enjoyed it. Olivia Thirlby is a bombshell"It's the summer of 1994, and the streets of New York are pulsing with hip-hop. Luke Shapiro (Josh Peck) is a socially uncomfortable teenage pot dealer with no friends, issues with his parents, and a whopping lack of confidence with girls. He trades weed for sessions with his therapist, Dr. Squires (Ben Kingsley), whose wife (Famke Janssen) is slipping away from him. Squires - a drug-addled shrink with a receding hairline and a state of mind slouching back to adolescence - is a terrible role model. But the two of them forge a friendship based on a mutual need: neither one has a girlfriend. The intergenerational duo set off on a crawl that takes them all over New York, where they encounter several of Luke's "business associates," including a dreadlocked pixie (Mary-Kate Olsen), a one-hit-wonder (Jane Adams), and Luke's supplier (Method Man)."

Comments

• drumsdrums 83 Posts
    I watched the first half a few months ago. Still have it on my computer but I know I'll never finish it.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I hurd Wakeen Pheenix is rappin now.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    cutiman

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Amen Brother

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    How do I get rid of THC - (Job-related).

• this was so phony. i put it on , and after 10 mins shut it off.
    the title is quite fitting.

a white kid selling weed, with no crew or any back up..walking around nyc with ALL of his weed in the ice cream cart... are you kidding me ? he would have got got so quickly.
    this movie seemed to have relied to much on the music as its cool factor.

How do get rid of THC - (Job-related).

Gallon after gallon of water and prayers to Jesus.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    I just finished Season 4 of The Wire!

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts

Super Troopers = best opening scene around!!
    Littering and, littering and, littering and.................smokin the reefer!

Do i look like a cat to you boi? Am i walking round all nimbly bimbly? Am i drinkin milk from a saucer?

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    you made my very slow starting, hazy day!! thanks!!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Kon - you know what though I thought the same thing... but a lot of those prep school kids g'd off with very little static just because they stuck around their own areas/circles... around 1995 there were plenty of jokers in the game, fumbling the ball, out in the open with shit... not getting got. Just saying...

• Kon - you know what though I thought the same thing... but a lot of those prep school kids g'd off with very little static just because they stuck around their own areas/circles... around 1995 there were plenty of jokers in the game, fumbling the ball, out in the open with shit... not getting got. Just saying...

As it was in 1975, not so much in 1985....

• NAGL X2

- method man man kicking the false rasta steelo
    - soundtrack kicking a method man jammy immediately after the scene introducing his character

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    He trades weed for sessions with his therapist, Dr. Squires (Ben Kingsley), whose wife (Famke Janssen) is slipping away from him. Squires - a drug-addled shrink with a receding hairline and a state of mind slouching back to adolescence - is a terrible role model. But the two of them forge a friendship based on a mutual need: neither one has a girlfriend.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Olivia Thirlby is a bombshell

yes.

am I the only one who realizes that the title they were actually going for was "the wack" and they just fucked it up?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    See, I see the dopeness in everything, and you guys just see the wackness.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    this movie sucked, don't watch it. they tried to depend on the music to promote the film, the music being a small collection of obvious early 90s NY rap songs that everybody f*cking knows. the ice cream thing was ridiculous and the kid was not good for this part, ben kingsly couldn???t even help the doodoo factor???

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Would have been a complete and utter waste of time without Ben Kingsley who manages to make just about every movie enjoyable. The script is beyond retarded nevertheless.

• Kon - you know what though I thought the same thing... but a lot of those prep school kids g'd off with very little static just because they stuck around their own areas/circles... around 1995 there were plenty of jokers in the game, fumbling the ball, out in the open with shit... not getting got. Just saying...

while prep school kids may have g'd off....not the way its portrayed in this movie.
    walking around all by himself like that, he wouldnt have lasted in washington sq. park in 94....sorry, not buying it.
    his whole kit was in the ice cream cart. i dont know anybody in the game to ever do biz like that.
    saying, his character was no way built for that.
    who ever wrote it sucks.

soft serve all day
    heads would have got him.

• ReedReed 97 Posts
    Just imagine Josh Peck walking through the crowd in Washington Square circa "Kids"..... skateboard over the head

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    Just imagine Josh Peck walking through the crowd in Washington Square circa "Kids"..... skateboard over the head

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    just for shits and giggles I post this:

Kind of a german version of the wackness but 1000 times worse.
    Nice write up about it here if you understand german:

http://jetzt.sueddeutsche.de/texte/anzeigen/529362