"lost" record disappreciation

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Somewhere, in my $)#)@()! stacks I know I own a copy of that goddamn 45 King 12" w/ "Brainstorm" on it but I haven't had a need to find it and now that I'm looking, I can't figure out where the %#)@! it went. Losing a record in one's own collection isn't quite as bad just outright losing it but for the love of god, this shit is infuriating. Curious: anyone ever give up looking for something you absolutely KNOW you own and just re-bought it?

Comments

• Dear Exciters, "Blowin' Up My Mind" 45 and "So...How's Your Girl," LP...

PLEASE TO f*cking REVEAL YOURSELVES FROM MY STACKS!

To answer your question, I'm about to recoup the former.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Dear Exciters, "Blowin' Up My Mind" 45 and "So...How's Your Girl," LP...

PLEASE TO f*cking REVEAL YOURSELVES FROM MY STACKS!

To answer your question, I'm about to recoup the former.

I>Maddening[/i]. This wouldnt' be so bad if the 12" in question here wasn't a $150 piece that doesn't exactly show up every month.

It's probably in storage which means I'm going to have to slog through opening and resealing a slew of boxes in a 4x4 space.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    My friend has harassed me about selling a record to him recently I know I have, just dunno where it is. I actually broke a sweat looking around for it recently, a 45 minute hunt that turned up nothing. I guess I need to look again sometime.

• You need to unconvince yourself that it's in a black sleeve and just look through every record. I don't know how many times I was sure a record I was looking for had a black (or white or whatever) sleeve, only to end up flipping right past it three times.

It's worth a shot.

You need to unconvince yourself that it's in a black sleeve and just look through every record. I don't know how many times I was sure a record I was looking for had a black (or white or whatever) sleeve, only to end up flipping right past it three times.

It's worth a shot.

Yeah, on my first pass, I was just looking for stuff in the "45 King" sleeve but then I remembered that it didn't come in one. Still not helping.

The thing is - when we moved to LA, I purposed packed up two boxes of records I didn't want to chance to the movers and instead, drove them down myself. I don't remember if I put this 12" in with them or not but I would have thought I did. At this point, I'm almost positive it's not in the house which means it's in storage and that f*cking suuuucks since I have no efficient organizing system down there.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    A while back I had a serious jones for a Deadly Avenger 12" I haven't messed with in years and could not find it. I don't even have that many records and while they are not alphabetized, they are at least lumped together by genre. I looked through what could be called "downtempo/breaks/beats" but I might need to scour the whole expedit. Knowing that the record hasn't left the house (except for the last move) makes it that much more maddening.

• axefoleyaxefoley 331 Posts
    This happened to me recently. I was looking for that tempo for tots with the red cover.. I spent a whole night, maybe 5 hrs on and off looking for it.. I'm one of those people when I think of something I need it/have to find it(sucks). It turned up weeks later in my kiddie record section stuck in a gatefold lp.. I'm amazed at how much time I sometimes waste looking for one record-I feel like a nutjob when I do that..

A while back I had a serious jones for a Deadly Avenger 12" I haven't messed with in years and could not find it. I don't even have that many records and while they are not alphabetized, they are at least lumped together by genre. I looked through what could be called "downtempo/breaks/beats" but I might need to scour the whole expedit. Knowing that the record hasn't left the house (except for the last move) makes it that much more maddening.

For real. I checked the obvious boxes in storage and it wasn't in them so now I'm really stumped as to where the hell it would have ended up.

I might have to wait until my next move and I move everything into an actual room and not a glorified closet.

• I often assume I own a lot of the records I've sold over the years and lost track of...

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Curious: anyone ever give up looking for something you absolutely KNOW you own and just re-bought it?
    usually the threat of this final resort will lead to the offender revealing itself (in the last place you'd think, eg. 45 inside an LP cover).
    But to answer that: yes & yes - drives me nuts. That different color thing is so true too, I spent months trying to locate an Original Blind Boys 45 I have on Vee Jay looking for a black label issue, turned up misfiled & on white label promo. Aaargh.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I was just about to start a thread like this.

I can't for the life of me find my "Land of Now" 45 and it is driving me nuts.