IP Watchlist For Piracy

TurntablistTurntablist 113 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Here is a tool to check if your IP address is being investigated for piracy, it might be useful for some of the Soulseek users on here:http://ipred.bitchware.se/

Comments

• drumsdrums 83 Posts
    How does this work? After the IPRED law here in Sweden there's a bunch of apps letting you continue filesharing without exposing your IP address. Reports say that after the law was put in effect last wednesday internet activity here in Sweden has declined with 30%.

People are ready to vote for the Piracy Party and are also boycotting music/movie/book companies.

• This is what it says:

Since IPRED requires a public inquiry to a court before sensitive private information is forcibly disclosed to international corporations, this gives us the ability to monitor what IPs are requested through IPRED. It also gives us about a weeks notice as to when police will raid our homes.

Pretty useful if you need to remove your computer!

• drumsdrums 83 Posts
    Pretty cool although I'm not too worried. They say about 30-40% of Swedens population are filesharing more or less. This is pretty much what people use the internet for. I'm more afraid of the ACTA proposal.

• ACTA proposal

ACTA proposal? could you refresh my memory?

T

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Step your game up.

http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

• Awesome work Zen, cheers for the link!

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    that site's gotta be a sting operation
    AKA
    I ain't clicking that, homey.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Awesome work Zen, cheers for the link!

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    AKA

That was my first thought.

"Here, add your IP address to a list of those we ought to be keeping tabs on!"

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    AKA

That was my first thought.

"Here, add your IP address to a list of those we ought to be keeping tabs on!"

Yeah, that site will have some valuable info to sell to major labels.

• drumsdrums 83 Posts
    ACTA proposal

ACTA proposal? could you refresh my memory?

T

Potential border searches are covered by the "Border Measures" proposal of ACTA. As of February 2009, reports show significant disagreement between countries on this topic: "Some countries are seeking the minimum rules, the removal of certain clauses, and a specific provision to put to rest fears of iPod searching customs officials by excluding personal baggage that contains goods of a non-commercial nature. The U.S. is pushing for broad provisions that cover import, export, and in-transit shipments. "[25].
    Newspaper reports indicate that the proposed agreement would empower security officials at airports and other international borders to conduct random ex officio searches of laptops, MP3 players, and cellular phones for illegally downloaded or "ripped" music and movies. Travellers with infringing content would be subject to a fine and may have their devices confiscated or destroyed.

More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counterfeiting_Trade_Agreement

• How would they prove that it wasn't downloaded? If you clean the mp3 tags for example, then how can they say that hasn't been legitimately downloaded from a site other than iTunes, or even if you've converted it from vinyl?

T

• if you said that you ripped it from vinyl- they'd probably ask you to prove you own a copy of the record- then what happens when you dont infact own that grail latin raer you just downloaded
    same with the itunes suggestion- they'd contact itunes and itunes probably can give them a list of what you have/havent bought from them. but that's a lot of hassle.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    How would they prove that it wasn't downloaded? If you clean the mp3 tags for example, then how can they say that hasn't been legitimately downloaded from a site other than iTunes, or even if you've converted it from vinyl?

T

I'm not an expert, and I've never downloaded music except for sound samples, but I'd imagine legitimate downloads have tags identifying them as such.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Here is a tool to check if your IP address is being investigated for piracy, it might be useful for some of the Soulseek users on here:

http://ipred.bitchware.se/

That's only going to help you if you have a static (non-changing IP). Most major internet providers use dynamic (changing) IPs. So unless you know every IP address you've used you won't know, and even then you won't know if it's you they're checking into or someone else who used the same IP address.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    "Biggest wake-up calls of my career was when I saw a record contract. I said, 'Wait - you sell it for $18.98 and I make 80 cents? And I have to pay you back the money you lent me to make it and then you own it?" - Trent Reznor, NIN

• you sell it for $18.98 and i make 80 cents

• if you said that you ripped it from vinyl- they'd probably ask you to prove you own a copy of the record- then what happens when you dont infact own that grail latin raer you just downloaded
    same with the itunes suggestion- they'd contact itunes and itunes probably can give them a list of what you have/havent bought from them. but that's a lot of hassle.

If I'm at the airport though they can't expect me to pull out a 7" to prove it

• That's only going to help you if you have a static (non-changing IP). Most major internet providers use dynamic (changing) IPs. So unless you know every IP address you've used you won't know, and even then you won't know if it's you they're checking into or someone else who used the same IP address.

That is quite true, some providers such as O2 over in the UK are now offering static IP's for free.

T