Chicago record question

funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
I just picked up a nice 45, 'When You Say You're Mine' by Victor Johnson on the Love label. I'm assuming it's a Chicago side since it was arranged by Richard Evans and written by Ken Chaney (pianist with Young-Holt).Anyone here have any idea about the date, any other records on the label?Any help would be appreciated.F16

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I'm guessing 1972-73 (sorry for being vague).

There is a review of this single in an issue of Blues Unlimited (a now-defunct UK magazine) from that era.

Is the other side titled something like "After Dark In The Ghetto"?

• I'm guessing 1972-73 (sorry for being vague).

There is a review of this single in an issue of Blues Unlimited (a now-defunct UK magazine) from that era.

That's the one, and 'After Dark..' is definitely on the bluesy side. The A-side is kind of a jazzy soul vocal.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

That's the one, and 'After Dark..' is definitely on the bluesy side. The A-side is kind of a jazzy soul vocal.

Yeah, I've heard that single...both sides, IIRC, are definitely on the Arthur Prysock soul-jazz tip. "After Dark" was actually the A-side...according to a PR guy I know who was living in Chicago back then, it was something of a local hit.

Yeah, I've heard that single...both sides, IIRC, are definitely on the Arthur Prysock soul-jazz tip. "After Dark" was actually the A-side...according to a PR guy I know who was living in Chicago back then, it was something of a local hit.

I was wondering if Johnson was hooked up with a bigger label and it somehow fell through, explaining the involvement of Evans (I've never seen his name on an indie single before).

• chrischris 287 Posts

I was wondering if Johnson was hooked up with a bigger label and it somehow fell through, explaining the involvement of Evans (I've never seen his name on an indie single before).

richard evans produced a handful of other local independent releases around that time such as the sounds of black 45 on lakeside, joyce williams "the first thing i do in the morning", t.l. barrett "like a ship" lp, etc.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    He was on some of the earliest Sun Ra releases, which were pretty independent (not 45s, though).

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    pickwick - some serious

well done sir.

richard evans produced a handful of other local independent releases around that time such as the sounds of black 45 on lakeside, joyce williams "the first thing i do in the morning", t.l. barrett "like a ship" lp, etc.

I'm going to have to look for those.