Here we go again (obama icecream related)

dreskieboogiedreskieboogie 951 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSTRE52P5RT20090326Russian "Obama" ice cream ad stirs angerThu Mar 26, 2009 1:57pm EDT Email | Print |Share| Reprints | Single Page[-] Text [+]MOSCOW (Reuters) - A Russian advertising agency has used an image resembling U.S. President Barack Obama to promote a new vanilla-and-chocolate ice cream, drawing the ire of human rights groups who said the ad was vulgar.Ice Cream Plant No. 3 in the Urals city of Yekaterinburg launched last week a new brand named "Duet."The poster features a computer-generated caricature of a broadly smiling figure resembling Obama standing in front of the U.S. Congress with the ice cream in the foreground.The strapline reads: "It's on everyone's lips -- the Dark is in the White!""We wanted to make the print amusing and cheerful, just as joyful and pleasant as the process of eating an ice cream," Yevgeny Primachenko, deputy creative director of Voskhod advertisement agency, told Reuters by phone from Yekaterinburg."This is just a vanilla ice cream with a chocolate filling," Primachenko said. "We decided: why not use such a great news peg as the election of the first black U.S. president to the White House, while showing no political preferences at the same time?"Prominent Russian human rights activist Lev Ponomaryov rapped the advertisement as "a vulgar exploitation of some political symbols in pursuit of commercial interests."He added however: "I do not think the person who created this is necessarily a racist ... But our society is xenophobic all the same."Russia has a growing problem with violent racist attacks on dark-skinned immigrants.The ice cream maker said on its website (www.xk3.ru) the new brand would be sold across Russia, from Moscow to Kemerovo in Siberia and Blagoveshchensk in the Far East.Primachenko admitted his advertising agency had received negative reviews from some foreign colleagues maintaining that the ad had xenophobic or even racist overtones.But he added: "We have so far not received any critical calls or negative comments from Russia ... I can tell you one thing -- our client is absolutely happy, that's the main thing. I myself bought this ice cream today. It tastes great!"(Reporting by Dmitry Solovyov; Editing by Jon Boyle)

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Obama Fried Chicken in Brooklyn.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

"a vulgar exploitation of some political symbols in pursuit of commercial interests."
    That's gangsta.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Ice Cream Plant No. 3

Marketing heads take note, this how you name an ice cream company..

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Ice Cream Plant No. 3

That's right up there with Spandau Ballet's "Chant No. 1"

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    How is this more racist than Paul McCartney's Ebony and Ivory?
    I don't get it.

I noticed that Ice Cream Plant #3 too.
    Here are a few things I find offensive:
    Urals city of Yekaterinburg (sounds like a vomited town in a pool of piss.)
    Voskhod advertisement agency (Would you hire an advertising agency called Voskhod?)
    Blagoveshchensk (Sounds like a corrupt Russian governor.)

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Selling Ice Cream in Russia can't be easy. Like selling parkas in the middle east or something.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Obama Fried Chicken in Brooklyn.

Kennedy Fried Chicken we hardly knew ye.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    So we got the main course, the dessert and the drink now...

I'm seeing an opportunity in the 'starters' segment of the market.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts

You must have forgotten about Obama Fingers: http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,612684,00.html

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Ice Cream Plant No. 3

Quote of the day, most definitely.

I think people forget that the American context of race is not the always the same abroad.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

You must have forgotten about Obama Fingers: http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,612684,00.html

I had the Fingers pegged as a main.

So can we get a roll call on the Obama food products

Main: Obama Fingers
    Dessert: dodgy Soviet style Obama ice cream
    Drink: moody German Obama lager

Anything else out there?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

I think people forget that the American context of race is not the always the same abroad.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    "In my country, it so cold, we eat ice cream to keep warm"

"In my country, ice cream eat you!"

had to take it back to the old school for a second.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

ugh no thanks

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

What's more racist now, the frozen chicken sideproducts in German supermarkets or the restaurant in Harlem?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    In Russia, having an Ice Cream named after you is one of the highest honors you can get. Like getting Knighted, or getting a park named after you, or getting the medal of honor.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Pushkin was Black. Russians love him. Eugene Onegin is the schitt.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    happy b-day.