another NYC thraed

the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
i will be there in october, i havent been there since 2004 so i am sure many things would of changed, also last time i was there i was with my girl so we did more of the tourist thing. I am looking for suggestions on things to make sure i check that might be a little off the normal radar, food, clothes, records, clubs, bars. art and so on so if you think you can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciatedAlso i have a friend there next weekend that is deep into 45's is there any where that any one can suggest for him to check out i remember a place that had heaps but cant for the life of me remember the name or location

Comments

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i just remembered one thing about the place that had the 45s i had to ask the guy if he had the record and he would say way or nay

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    i just remembered one thing about the place that had the 45s i had to ask the guy if he had the record and he would say way or nay

Sounds like it's closed.

Or Paycheck was in a bad mood that day

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    haha asshole

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    45's are pretty much sorted, any locals able to offer some pointers?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i think youre talking about that doo wop spot in midwood(?) i havent been there for years. couldnt tell you if it was still open. go check out roberta's in bushwick for pizza. people are sleeping.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I'll be there in May. My brother's representing Sesame Street so hopefully I'll meet Snuffleapagus 'n 'em.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    uh oh. let me know dates homee. i might have a guest spot for you

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    uh oh. let me know dates homee. i might have a guest spot for you

YAYERS!

5/17 - 5/23

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    go check out roberta's in bushwick for pizza. people are sleeping.

What?? Roberta's has been written about in every newspaper/journal/blog in town and beyond - you can't get into the place at virtually any hour.

It's the least slept on place in NYC. (After The Thing).

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Why do people going to NYC? It's so played out. I mean, hello, I've seen every episode of Seinfeld. There's nothing left to see.

Take a trip to Des Moines and report back with something new.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

What?? Roberta's has been written about in every newspaper/journal/blog in town and beyond - you can't get into the place at virtually any hour.

do you just comb soulstrut looking for things do disagree about? save that "what, you dont know?" shit for somebody else.

i've been to robertas about 3 times, and its been about 1/2 full every time. i dont read time out, or brooklyn vegan or whateverthefuck. i go by word of mouth, and for whatever reason, everyone i've brought it up to, had no idea of its existence.

Seems like Papa Johns is on it's way to becoming NY's #1 pizza.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

do you just comb soulstrut looking for things do disagree about? save that "what, you dont know?" shit for somebody else.

i've been to robertas about 3 times, and its been about 1/2 full every time. i dont read time out, or brooklyn vegan or whateverthefuck. i go by word of mouth, and for whatever reason, everyone i've brought it up to, had no idea of its existence.

Don't be so touchy. I've been there three times as well and the first two we were turned away because the wait was 45 min. to an hour.

If you're visiting NYC and have limited time it would suck to take the train to
    Bushwick only to wait an hour for pizza.

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    anyone know of any good gallery shows in NYC between 4/17 and 4/20? admittedly, aside from juxtapoz i don't really know what's up art-wise in NYC. anything good that weekend??

last time i went, i found a Neckface gallery on Halloween last minute and that was the shit.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    anyone know of any good gallery shows in NYC between 4/17 and 4/20? admittedly, aside from juxtapoz i don't really know what's up art-wise in NYC. anything good that weekend??

last time i went, i found a Neckface gallery on Halloween last minute and that was the shit.

Why not just stroll thru Chelsea,Meat Packing District,The East Village one afternoon. There's plenty to see.

Or do you want to see some Rare Mongolian tapestries, wait on line, pay 15 dollars, and bump into old folks and bratty kids at the MET or MOMA?

• Double_BDouble_B 169 Posts
    yo could someone name some good used cd stores in nyc? thanks...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    yo could someone name some good used cd stores in nyc? thanks...

The only joint that comes to mind is the place across the street from Cooper Union, next to the pizza shop.

I havent copped from him in years.

There used to be a handfull of spots on 8th street. But the CDs to make rent is kinda dyin.

Virgin is going under this month, so there might be some stuff there.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

The only joint that comes to mind is the place across the street from Cooper Union, next to the pizza shop.

I havent copped from him in years.

norman's sound & vision? he also has unpriced records downstairs that he will arbitrarily price regardless of condition for you. i have not looked thru the cd's though.

i would also cosign on the chelsea galleries. lots to see and free.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Someone finish these two sentences for me, please.

"I'm going to be in NYC for just a day, so I'll only be able
    to hit up 3 record stores: Good Records, Academy Brooklyn, and ______ "

and

"For a 45 collector, the best spot to hit in NYC is definitely ______ "

Thanks

Big City.

Big City.

Thanks, guys. Looks like that's my 3rd stop.

Jonny - hope you'll be in-store when I drop by!

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    soi- also go to academy on 12 if you have enough time to hit up big city. it is one block away.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Someone finish these two sentences for me, please.
    "I'm going to be in NYC for just a day, so I'll only be able
    to hit up 3 record stores: Good Records, Academy Brooklyn, and ______ "

yunno, i gotta say Deadly Dragon... it's expensive and all, but their selection is insane and there are less and less spots like worldwide; places that have a wide variety of reggae 45's from the 60's to now... not just reissues... but also sell dancehall...

• Deadly dragon is awesome, you can kill hours in there, but it's only a good 45 spot if you're a reggae fanatic and you got loot to spare. I think my wife shopped for four hours elsewhere last time I went to deadly dragon- if that tells you anything.

Big city was the best spot for soul 45's, most of what they had was 70's sweet, northern or disco, and not a ton of any type- but all in all they were in great condition. That said, it's not really a 45 store or anything, but in NYC it's your best bet for boutique recordstore with 45's.

Jonny - hope you'll be in-store when I drop by!

I'll be there, no doubt.

We'll be BBQing in back too.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Printed Matter is always a good stop. Not a record shop but they usually have a few avant/art records, It's a badass bookshop sprinkled with editioned objects of all sorts. It's on 10th ave. just south of 22 street.

Beer selection at Whole Foods on Bowery is super slamming, and you can get growlers.

Drawing center is usually a great bet for art (cheap, not busy with people), though the show up now is not as exciting as they usually bring it.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    I'll be there in May. My brother's representing Sesame Street so hopefully I'll meet Snuffleapagus 'n 'em.

you gonna make it wih Big Bird?

Good call on Big City, I did get a grip of nice 45s there, ran into my man K*n
    (who was getting interviewed outside as I walked up), and also got an OG Ann
    Peebles "Part Time Love" LP in decent shape for a great price. And, Jared came
    through with a generous volume/cash discount. One other spot that I had
    never checked out before was Gimme Gimme, which we hit up between Big City and
    GRNYC. Dude had some nice records, and I got a Sly Boots for a good price. And
    he was watching the Red Sox game on his laptop, so you know he was a good guy.

Missed JP at Good but Doc D was holding it down and I picked up another bunch
    of quality soul 45s. GRNYC always comes correct with the trades, too. I'm "in
    the system" haha. Word to Peter Gunn for coming along, and making me hang out in
    A1 forever while he tried to OG check a Prince Buster record, and taking me to
    a bar where there was nothing but people from Boston, because that's who I want
    to hang out with on a one-day trip to NYC, people from my hometown