›

LP Flightcase suggestions

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
I need to buy a pair of flightcases that filled with records should weigh in at no more than 50lbs, hold as many records as possible while offer maximum protection.What's a good store to buy shit like this in NYC?ThanxFrank

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Frank: Turntable.lab in the east Village would be my first thought.

BTW, do you mean that each flight case shouldn't weigh more than 50 lbs or both, together, shouldn't?

In any case, unless you're bringing one of the cube-like 100-LP cases, you should be fine with the slimmer "Euro" style cases that fit about 50 or so. That will probably weigh in around 30 pounds or so each.

I oft-recommend this Odyssey case b/c it has wheels on it and you can also (in most cases) cram it into an overhead bin: http://www.odysseygear.com/products.php?sku=klp070dlx

It holds 70 LPs which is good enough for a 3 hour gig, give or take.

Don't know who sells it in NYC though.

Odyssey also makes a decent 45 case: http://www.odysseygear.com/products.php?sku=fz45120 but I would never, ever check in a case of 45s since I can hand carry that onto a plane. That's why I prefer this one (which is two rows of 45) over Odyssey's 3-row 45 case. The latter seems too awkward, size-wise, to easily tote around by hand.

And one last thing - when I came out to NY recently, I packed about 50 LPs into a normal shoulder bag and then packed that into a standard, rolling carry-on luggage. It was lighter than rolling out the Odyssey case and since it's a carry-on, I'm not sweating the durability as much and it was a cheaper option than buying new cases. That won't help you if you're trying to bring out 100 LPs however but just something to keep in mind.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Thanx O****r!
    I need two with 50lbs each when filled up with records because 2 pieces of luggage with 50 lbs each are what's generally accpeted as free luggage. I have these old, cubic aluminum ones that are super solid but they're too heavy. One holds up to 80-100 LPs but they weigh around 70lbs when full and then you're only allowed one piece of luggage. I was hoping to find two cases that hold 60-80 each and weigh no more than 50lbs filled up. They charge an arm and a leg for overweight luggage coming from Africa, like around 20 Euros per kilo(!) so every pound counts.

I already have 45 cases and a shoulder strap LP case for carry-on luggage. I usually have every piece of luggage stuffed with vinyl and wear two or three pairs of pants and underwair and 4 shirts all on top of each other... (that's not me on the way to a dj gig but me coming back from a diggign trip by the way)

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Make sure you get an ATA rated case if you're going to check your bags - some of those euro cases are really shoddy and don't hold up too well. labcabin has some nice Calzone ones and should be able to sort you out.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I was thinking about something like this:

maybe just slightly bigger since this one is listed with 50 records and 15 lbs empty.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    the alternative would be to not use cases but just pack everything up with cardboard and packing tape...

• the alternative would be to not use cases but just pack everything up with cardboard and packing tape...

I'd say use a case

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i have an old flight case i'll trade for some records, frank

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I used to have a version of this, which weighs 22 lbs and holds 80...what's the weight on 80 records?

It's tough as F*ck, but quite inconvenient for carrying around.

These look just like the aluminum ones I have but mine are square, yours is a little less deep than it's high and wide, right? These might just do the trick... I'll probably have to get a scale and weigh different stacks of records so I can calculate the total weight when in the store...

These here seem to be relatively leighweight but not really sturdy and are billed to hold 70:

Sometimes I have the impression that flimsy looking luggage gets handled with much more care than rugged-looking shit.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    the alternative would be to not use cases but just pack everything up with cardboard and packing tape...

I'd say use a case

I know, the cardboard solution sounds like not a good idea but if packed really tight and with multiple layers of cardboard and tape, this can be pretty safe and saves a whole lot of weight...

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I was thinking about something like this:

maybe just slightly bigger since this one is listed with 50 records and 15 lbs empty.

This would be pretty close to 50 Lbs full, I'm guessing.

Mikey's Hook Up on North 6th (right near my store) has cases by Eurolite that are about that size for $60. They open closer to the middle for easier use while DJ'ing.

The general rule of thumb is that an LP is half a pound, ergo, just take the number of LPs in a case, divide by half and you get the total number of pounds.

So for a 50 LP case that weighs 15 lbs empty (which, damn, seems kind of heavy to me), the total weight should be around 40 lbs and thus, under the limit of what Frank is asking about.

I don't think Frank wants anything 70 LPs and up UNLESS he's going carry on. Otherwise, he'll be over the weight limit.

Unfortunately that Road Ready case someone pointed to earlier would be over the limit since it's 22 lbs empty and holds appx. 40 lbs of records. You could, of course, always pack it with less but shit man, if I'm paying $125 for a f*cking flight case, I'd be inclined to pack it to the limit!

Sounds like Frank might need these: http://prodjcase.stores.yahoo.net/atadjlprecca.html

50 LPs, ATA certified. Not cheap but from my experience, a good LP case is well worth the expense.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Mikey's Hook Up on North 6th (right near my store) has cases by Eurolite that are about that size for $60. They open closer to the middle for easier use while DJ'ing.

Cool, I'll check them out next week. Thanx M**e!

• Sometimes I have the impression that flimsy looking luggage gets handled with much more care than rugged-looking shit.

I used to work at LAX and can confirm this.

I NEVER check in records. I carry on 1 Oddysey-style flight case and a shoulder bag.
    Clothes and other random s**t gets checked.

The half-split joints are the way to go, in my opinion. I wouldn't recommend the kind with a shallow lid since, if you fill the case, you'd have to pull vinyl out of the case to actually be able to sort through it. The half-split cases eliminate that problem

• This looks like the one I have, except mine is called Eurolite. Probably the same exact design though. It is a bit flimsy but has withstood a few flights. I'm always nervous that once it comes off the luggage chute and slams onto the carousel the latch will bust open. Hasn't happened. It would be ill advised to carry basically irreplaceable raers in it though.

This looks like the one I have, except mine is called Eurolite. Probably the same exact design though. It is a bit flimsy but has withstood a few flights. I'm always nervous that once it comes off the luggage chute and slams onto the carousel the latch will bust open. Hasn't happened. It would be ill advised to carry basically irreplaceable raers in it though.

That's another reason I don't like these Eurolite cases with the shallow lid. Most of the ATA cases are double butterfly latched on each side and the construction, in my experience, is pretty rugged: good padding, good casing. Personally, I'd be more nervous about someone trying to open the case and steal my raers than it f*cking up in transit. The problem is that, post-9/11, you can't lock luggage anymore.

The Eurolites I saw, while not the sturdiest I've seen, have a hasp so you could put a padlock on. I'd duct tape them, as well, if checking them.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Thanx again for the input everybody,
    I think I have a pretty good opverview now on what's out there, while the odyssey or eurolite really seem flimsy, I guess if I duct-tape them and perhaps even add a layer of bubblewrap, I should be fine. It's a matter of getting as many records on board and since these hold 70 records each, I think it'll be my bet bet.

• I don't think you can duct tape or lock checked luggage though.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I don't think you can duct tape or lock checked luggage though.

Maybe not within the US but within Africa or from Africa it's not a problem.
    I always use rolls of duct tape and glue some official looking made-up seals with impressive looking symbols, bar-codes etc. on top, haven't had a problem once on dozens of trips.