Me'Shell Ndeg??Ocello

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
What's the "Strut Consensus?"Instrumental, if not key, in the formation of the neo-soul movement possibly more than anyone and yet conveniently stepped outside of those lines for here entire career.Saw a good amount of commercial success and accolades come her way without having to veer from what her muse was telling her to do (put out records that didn't seem to really have commercially viable joints.)Hell of a f*cking bass player...So where do you stand? BATMON I'm looking at you.I'm mostly asking because I just rediscovered this album, which I caned the F*ck out of in 1999 and it got me through some real strange / good times.

Comments

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    What's the "Strut Consensus?"

Instrumental, if not key, in the formation of the neo-soul movement possibly more than anyone and yet conveniently stepped outside of those lines for here entire career.

Saw a good amount of commercial success and accolades come her way without having to veer from what her muse was telling her to do (put out records that didn't seem to really have commercially viable joints.)

Hell of a f*cking bass player...

So where do you stand? BATMON I'm looking at you.

I'm mostly asking because I just rediscovered this album, which I caned the F*ck out of in 1999 and it got me through some real strange / good times.

i havent heard an album of hers i didnt like, and yes to the bass player!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    "Plantation Lullabies" is the strongest debut I've ever heard. Every track is solid. Bassplaying is that ish - she has so much feel in where she puts the notes and how she phrases them.

"Peace Beyond Passion" has a couple of killers on it; "Faggot" and "Bittersweet".

The rest of the catalog got a bit introspective for me, in the sense of giving me bass licks to cop. "Bitter" was just too downbeat for me. "Dance of the Infidels" was solid though.

I agree that there's no real way to market this kind of stuff, but that doesn't detract from her talent.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    BITTER IS THAT SHIT!

Her cover of Jimi Hendrix Exp - May This Be Love is outta this world.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...page=0&vc=1

Me'shell appreciation thread I started exactly a year ago.
    I see that you, Jimster and Batmon chimed in then too.
    I guess that's the fanclub.

And I still think "Comfort Woman" brings the sexy.
    Couldn't get into "Bitter". Too morose and same-y. Revisit?

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Always as sleeper favorite.
    Happened upon Dance of The Infidels CD at the library a while back and

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i rides. my best friend from highschool pulled my coat to her back then. RAEL ART.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    this should totally be in the NANI COVER thread...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    great all the way, especially "Soul Searchin'" (from the Higher Learning[/b] soundtrack). It's a pre-cursor to moist times.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    "fool of me" is my shit. though its comes with some memories from a crappy time in my life...

• hell of a f*cking bass player/quote]

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    shes awesome. saw her live last year

• Amazing bass player. Saw her a couple of times at North Sea Jazz (once in a hotel bar gig). Very cool music. Even though I stopped buying after Cookie. Judging by this thread I need to check the last album.

Thanks.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Just heard "Ventriloquism".

"Tackling a range of R&B radio hits from the 1980s and 1990s, Meshell Ndegeocello treats the practice of covering another’s songs as an act of intimacy and empathy."

tl;dr: Still sombre A.F.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Her NINA SIMONE tribute album is FIRE!

- spidey
    ketan