Marvin Gaye April 2, 1939 ??? April 1, 1984

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Don't know what to say that hasn't been said before other than the void feels no less immediate or tragic.

Comments

• agreed, thanks for the reminder-btw-i highly recommend the david ritz biography

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    oh bassie.....

my parents said that when i found out he died i cried for 4 days straight and was completely distraught and they kept me out of school and took me to see a counselor. my mom still talks about how much it worried her. i was a rather serious child. i guess that was the beginning of the end for me being too emotionally attached to music.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    The Master

b/w

I prefer celebrating/reflecting certian icons birthdays rather than death-days.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I agree - nothing stopping us from remembering today and celebrating tomorrow.
    I can't post anything from work, but will do tonight - trying to come up with my five favourites til then!

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

my parents said that when i found out he died i cried for 4 days straight and was completely distraught and they kept me out of school and took me to see a counselor. my mom still talks about how much it worried her. i was a rather serious child. i guess that was the beginning of the end for me being too emotionally attached to music.

It was a lot of growing up to do fast. No doubt I had heard many of his songs before, but didn???t know them to be Marvin Gaye until later. Really, the first time I knew his name was Sexual Healing. So to go from that song to him being dead, by his father???s hand, was a lot to process at that age.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    agreed, thanks for the reminder-btw-i highly recommend the david ritz biography

RIP to the greatest.

And yes, that biography is very good. 'Divided Soul' for those of you who want to search it out.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

RIP to the greatest.

And yes, that biography is very good. 'Divided Soul' for those of you who want to search it out.

fantastic book.

R.I.P

• minimini 879 Posts

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    New Marvin Gaye single has Syracuse connection

Wednesday, April 01, 2009
    By Mark Bialczak
    Staff writer

Motown Records released a new Marvin Gaye single Tuesday on iTunes.

The world wouldn't get to hear the long-lost song "Soulie" from the late R&B legend if weren't for Syracuse native Jennifer Lambert and her husband, Mickey Gentile.

http://www.syracuse.com/music/index.ssf?/base/entertainment-2/1238576337130260.xml&coll=1

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

RIP to the greatest.

Still in print, as far as I know, and not hard to find.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I just picked up the Mojo Motown issue, the article on Marvin was pretty good IMO, it made me think just how much of himself (demons and joys) he put into his music, and kind of sad how it all ended for him.

RIP and thanks for the music!

Can I Get a Witness

• I'll never forget the day he was killed..I was coming home on the school bus and the Busdriver always had the radio on and the had on a news break..I did'nt even know his music back then..Just got done doing a tribute on my radio show..R.I.P happy b-day..true master..A gift to us all.