Best Computer for Audio Workstation?

Scratch_n_SniffScratch_n_Sniff 353 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
I'm lookin to spend about $1200 and want to get the best desktop possible to use as an audio workstation. I've got a macbook that I use separately for all my work/wordprocessing/internets/Microwave/ect. I might use the desktop for a little of that, but really, I just want something that'll run Ableton Live like a friggin beast. Plus I want lots of USB ports to plug in MIDI controllers and audio interfaces, ect.Right now the only things on my radar are getting an iMac, or getting a customized ADK desktop. In this case, is it worth going the Windows XP route in order to get the bang for your buck and customization that a PC affords? I don't like how difficult PCs are to work with, but I've got a very limited number of programs that I'm interested in running, so I figure once I get everything working it shouldn't give me too many problems.So:go PC routeorson, don't risk it

Comments

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    the pc for that price would be sick, whereas the mac for that price would be feeble

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'm pretty sure Windows is pure shit compared to Mac OSsss. On the stability front anyway..

• After a couple hours of research, I realized it would be much more cost effective and worthwhile for me to simply upgrade the memory on my macbook to 4GB RAM, since it's already got a pretty swift processor (2.2 Ghz.) I'm also gonna get a Targus USB hub, and then I'll have all the functionality I want without needing to get another computer. Total cost: $250

So thank you myself.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    If your hardware needs just consist of a MIDI controller, an iMac is perfectly suitable. The only concern I would have is that previous models had Firewire chipsets that were incompatible with many audio interfaces.

• Thanks for the good feedback.

I'm going to definitely think about the iMac for down the road.

For now I'm set on a memory upgrade. They sell em for $200 at the apple store, but this is supposed to work for $27:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/53DR2SPAIR2G/

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Thanks for the good feedback.

I'm going to definitely think about the iMac for down the road.

For now I'm set on a memory upgrade. They sell em for $200 at the apple store, but this is supposed to work for $27:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/53DR2SPAIR2G/

I think you'll need two 2GB modules, rather than 2 1GB modules.

Pretty sure there's just two memory slots in all the Macbooks.

• Welldamn. Thanks for pointing that out. Now I'm gonna have to reorder, and return the first ones when they arrive.