turkish joints

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
i used to have a litle list of turkish records to check for but cant find it...not that i knew the records anyway. a turkish friend is so excite to look for some joints for me when he goes home, so i was wondering if strutintelligentsia can make recomendations...im interested in anything that sounds good, doesnt have to be the raer. but some raer things may manifest themselves since he is gonna be asking uncles and family to look through their neglected shelves.is all boris manco erkin koray selda advisable or are there certain years to avoid?i like funk,psych,grooves,and anything with flavor.but i dont know twoshit about turkey music.

Comments

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i grabbed that Selda LP just for the breakness but its quality front to back

super funky!!

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    stuff from this comp

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    PM fejmelba.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The Turkish edition of Love, Peace, and Poetry has some good leads on psych.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    3 Hur El, most definately

• And most def Erkut Tackin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEtV6IMfY2Q

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNxmtrmQTiI

The good (and rare) Turkish records are not easy to find in Turkey. If you go to dealers they will make you pay ebay prices but if he has local connections you never know... Good luck.

Peace,

Dress

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I can't think of any Turkish artist who doesn't have lame stuff.

Ersen is one of my faves, the Finders Keepers comp is just OK, though, and sounds terrible on vinyl. His first Lp kills.

Alpay's "Yekte" 45 is common and a good two-sider.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    This is one of the grails...

After what seems like a decade of cross-continental detective work and blind alley buffoonery, Finders Keepers finally have the auspicious privilege to introduce the incredible music of Anadolu pop's very own Dr. Frankenstein - Maestro Mustafa Ozkent. Regarded amongst hardened collectors of Anatolian rock as The Daddy of all Turkish rarities, this record simply has to be heard to be believed and even then it's still literally unbelievable. Is this record for real? Either these guys had time-machines or DJ Kool Herc had secret Eastern connections. If a box of original copies of this seldom-sighted album had made its way to the South Bronx in the late seventies then Mustafa Ozkent would be sharing throne space with other ultimate breaks and beats such as Michael Viners 'Incredible Bongo Band', Funky Drummer and Johnny The Fox bringing modern record collectors new found Turkish obsession forward by some 20 years.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    This is one of the grails...

After what seems like a decade of cross-continental detective work and blind alley buffoonery, Finders Keepers finally have the auspicious privilege to introduce the incredible music of Anadolu pop's very own Dr. Frankenstein - Maestro Mustafa Ozkent. Regarded amongst hardened collectors of Anatolian rock as The Daddy of all Turkish rarities, this record simply has to be heard to be believed and even then it's still literally unbelievable. Is this record for real? Either these guys had time-machines or DJ Kool Herc had secret Eastern connections. If a box of original copies of this seldom-sighted album had made its way to the South Bronx in the late seventies then Mustafa Ozkent would be sharing throne space with other ultimate breaks and beats such as Michael Viners 'Incredible Bongo Band', Funky Drummer and Johnny The Fox bringing modern record collectors new found Turkish obsession forward by some 20 years.

Yeah, to give props where they are due, Finders Keepers did a great job on the Selda and Mustafa Ozkent.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

pretty sure ive recommended this one before, guess it doesnt hurt to up it again, really as dope as the cover suggests, dont know a whole lot about turkish psych/prog but i would think this has to be something like an essential album..

• have a listen to this comp:

hava-narghile

loads of great stuff on there - -- much more interesting than some of the 'funky' stuff on that bootleg 'Bosporous Bridges' comp... (having said that - -i love those EROL PECKAN tracks. look for them!!)

a single i'm playign a lot lately is this one:

a side is hella ethno-folk goodness.

b side rocks and is emminently play-out-able.

don't think its particularly rare....

• pretty sure ive recommended this one before, guess it doesnt hurt to up it again, really as dope as the cover suggests, dont know a whole lot about turkish psych/prog but i would think this has to be something like an essential album..

always expensive that one, innit.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    More on your list:

Mogollar
    Edip Akbayram
    Bulent Ortacgil
    Arda Kardes
    Mustafa Ozkent for sure
    Cici Kizlar

But don't get your hopes up, these aren't growing on trees there at all.