Making A Record Database Related iPhone App

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
i am looking into doing this. i have started brainstorming stuff with a programmer and want to know what YOU would like to see..i want it to be a database that is regularly updated with record info. sort of like discogs. complete full color label scans and artwork. i am leaning away from the popsike element of stuff cuz i hate that siteany ideas that youd like to see to make it for of a valuable resource?again this is in the brainstorming stage and it might not even work but i am amped to do thisthere doesnt seem to be one out there unless my search skills are way off

Comments

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    This site has iPhone functionality:

http://collectorsfrenzy.com

Click on the MOBILE tab at the top.

• This is going to be a database not a price guide? great idea. Something with a brief description of the album and key tracks would be great.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    yea Musica you didnt read what i said.

"leaning away from Popsike-esque site"

just info. maybe a price range...like low, medium or high..

im more focused on

-artwork (covers and labels)
    -description (imcluding year, artists, label etc)
    -like you said "key tracks"
    -runouts and signatures
    -number pressed
    -location of band (artist)

and then something where it links to similar artists

kind of like Last FM does with track play

also links artists by association. for simplicity sakes lets say you search Bernard Purdie his solo LPs will come up and then youll be linked to what he played on etc

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    So this wouldnt really be a tool for "digging in the field", per se?

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU MAKE SOMETHING THAT INSTANTLY CALCULATES THE APPROXIMATE GRIP N FLIP PROFIT

well yea it would. but digging in the field doesnt only consist of flippin and grippin now does it?

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    How about cover recognition?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

well yea it would. but digging in the field doesnt only consist of flippin and grippin now does it?

If I am in the field and a see Thinking Of Little Willie John what do I need a data base that tells me the track listing and shows me a picture? I've got that in front of me already.

I would want to know how to tell pressing variations. Bootlegs. Reissues.

I would want a review.
    Perhaps a samplography.

Price guide wouldn't hurt.

I don't have a iphone, so I might be missing something.
    My phone doesn't even take pictures. Ludite related.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    How about cover recognition?

Snaptell does this for books and CDs. It would probably work for records if the title's been reissued and is in whatever database they refer to.

If you created the right database of raers then this is completely doable from a hardware/software perspective. That would be hot as hell. Kinda cheating though. The "database" is supposed to be up here. *taps temple with finger*

• Make the app not function inside record stores, please

• comment section