An introduction into Psych....

TurntablistTurntablist 113 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Recently people have been showing me psych records, and next weekend I'm heading back to an old spot I used to dig. They seem to have a lot of pysch and I was wondering if anyone could suggest any lp's I could keep an eye out for. Fuzz guitar and heavy drums would be nice Thanks!

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    yeah, i've got a suggestion for you... why don't you be a f*cking man.

• yeah, i've got a suggestion for you... why don't you be a f*cking man?

Haha point taken!

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Be prepared to take a huge wedge of cash. Psych is not cheap unless you're buying reissues

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• Luckily this place most of the records are roughly ??5 probably the most expensive would be ??15, it's basically an excuse for a couple of blokes to sell weed. Haven't come across an original in anything yet.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    this thread makes me feel weird

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    graemlin pleez

• graemlin pleez

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts

okay I'm into this one now!

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    graemlin pleez

quiet you

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    If people keep "showing me psych records" then surely you know what to look out for already.?

I don't know how much luck you'd having finding teh rare US psych in Bristol, but here's an old thread - http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/printthread.php?Cat=0&Board=crates&main=1144774&type=thread that may be of no use at all. (the search function/google is your friend)

Out of curiosity which 'old spot' is it that has lots of psych?

• Well it's only recently I've picked up interest in them again, psych has always been a difficult genre for me to get into as I've found it hit and miss. As for the spot it's not in Bristol unfortunately it's in the East Midlands. So hopefully I might be able to pick up something interesting to listen to & thanks MOke for the suggestion I appreciate it.

• OK I have a legitimate question: I have $20. My local shop has what appears to be every LP by the band love, each priced $15-20. As a fan of the braeks, my first inclination is to get "out here", because of the song doggone. I've also heard "forever changes" is good. Which one should I get?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    OK I have a legitimate question: I have $20. My local shop has what appears to be every LP by the band love, each priced $15-20. As a fan of the braeks, my first inclination is to get "out here", because of the song doggone. I've also heard "forever changes" is good. Which one should I get?

For me personally, I find that the essential Love albums are on Elektra - Forever Changes, Four Sail, Da Capo, and their self-titled first album. Not to mention Revisited, a best-of which has one or two singles-only tracks.

Out Here and False Start, both on Blue Thumb, are good.

But not $15 good (especially if you're getting into Love for the first time).

Those are the albums you buy after you've heard the Elektra albums and are already convinced, IMO.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    OK I have a legitimate question: I have $20. My local shop has what appears to be every LP by the band love, each priced $15-20. As a fan of the braeks, my first inclination is to get "out here", because of the song doggone. I've also heard "forever changes" is good. Which one should I get?

forever changes.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    psych has always been a difficult genre for me to get into as I've found it hit and miss.

And then some

psych has always been a difficult genre for me to get into as I've found it hit and miss.

And then some

I third that emotion. For every Circus Maximus or Free Spirits who blew my mind, there was a 49th Parallel or a Freeborne that had me wondering what all the commotion was about.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    How come 95% of all "psych" records arent psychedelic?

Discuss

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

Discuss

Because they were labeled such by people who have never done LSD,
    and they were just guessing.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Discuss

"Psych" has a different meaning to different people.....whether it be garagey Velvet Underground......or heavy guitar Hendrix.......or CJ & The Fish.....or Blue Cheer.....Hawkwind/Krautrock psych...... Linda Perhacs folk psych ........Kyuss stoner psych........etc.......etc......and then of course anything that sounds remotely like any of these styles.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I third that emotion. For every Circus Maximus or Free Spirits who blew my mind, there was a 49th Parallel or a Freeborne that had me wondering what all the commotion was about.

Are you being sarcastic? The thing is, I don't think you are, because
    I know you already said you really don't like the 49th Parallel ... but
    riding for Circus Maximus while dismissing the Freeborne is borderline
    insanity.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    goddamn...somehow i missed that psych download orgy.
    listening to delay's mix on there right now....jeeebus! this shiv is good!

theres some insane looking records going on in there
    phew

Discuss

"Psych" has a different meaning to different people.....whether it be garagey Velvet Underground......or heavy guitar Hendrix.......or CJ & The Fish.....or Blue Cheer.....Hawkwind/Krautrock psych...... Linda Perhacs folk psych ........Kyuss stoner psych........etc.......etc......and then of course anything that sounds remotely like any of these styles.

that sounds about right to me

no musical genre can be narrowed down to one thing

hell, there are soul records that dont sound like sam & dave...

Are you being sarcastic? The thing is, I don't think you are, because
    I know you already said you really don't like the 49th Parallel ... but
    riding for Circus Maximus while dismissing the Freeborne is borderline
    insanity.

ah-ha-ha, when i mentioned Freeborne and 49P, i knew i was gonna get some dialogue from you!

well, man, what can i say...i WANTED to like that freeborne joint, but apart from the first 2 or 3 tracks, i found my interest kinda lagging.

but that just goes to prove my point - not just with psych, but with early seventies hard rock, as well...when it's good, it's real good, but its still a bit of a crapshoot.

love circus maximus, dont really like country joe & the fish
    love h.p. lovecraft, dont really get the 49th Parallel
    love superfine dandelion, dont like aorta
    love clear light, really hate the Beacon Street Union

and the beat goes on

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I thought Circus Maximus was weak back when I first heard it like 10 years ago (when I was obsessed w/60s rock) and again when I checked it more recently.

I always thought Beacon St was considered to be a pop group.

I always thought Beacon St was considered to be a pop group.

Nope, I've heard their stuff, I borrowed their two albums from a college/community radio station back in the early nineties...they were just a little too heavy/serious to be called "pop." They weren't exactly the Cowsills.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

and the beat goes on

I think Circus Maximus kind of sucks, but dig The Eyes of the Beacon Street Union. To each their own, I guess.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    goddamn...somehow i missed that psych download orgy.
    listening to delay's mix on there right now....jeeebus! this shiv is good!

theres some insane looking records going on in there
    phew

i'm still working my way through that motherload. best ss thread ever.

and the beat goes on

I think Circus Maximus kind of sucks, but dig The Eyes of the Beacon Street Union. To each their own, I guess.

I like that first self-titled Circus Maximus LP (never heard the second album). It's not as excessive as most psych...matter of fact, it comes dead close to being garage-rock.