Moving a 5x5 Expedit fully assembled

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Has anyone done this? Should I use a dolly or Hercules this schitt? I need some advice from the Soulstrut massive.

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    the thought crossed my mind the other day.
    i quickly concluded F*ck THAT

get your alan wrench and go crazy

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Has anyone done this? Should I use a dolly or Hercules this schitt? I need some advice from the Soulstrut massive.

Did this last summer. The safest bet is to move it without a dolly, two people carrying it, one person in the middle to guide the carry since you can't see shit around that tall thing while you're carrying it.

When we moved it out of the house to the moving truck, the mover wanted to use a dolly, and some miscommunication led to the whole thing nearly folding completely. But it got here safe and sound and is now sturdily holding my records.

But yeah, taking it apart is probably less trouble in retrospect.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    be careful as the 5x5 is about the height of your average doorframe so unless you are just moving it within a room, i'd go with disassembling it. itll withstand being rebuilt again without any structural integrity issues. i think. good luck.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I believe it shouldn't be dis- and re-assembled more than 2 times. This shitty IKEA particle board yet starts crumbling at the first mounting.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i have done this before, obviously need to empty that bad boy first, but it was not that difficult

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Thanks for the replies everybody. I'm about to Hulk out on this with my brother in-law. Wish me luck...

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I just moved a couple of them and it was nothing!!! Seriously. Way easier than I ever suspected. I did take them apart and put them back together. Way easier bro-ham in my book than moving them assembled but to each his own.

• StringsStrings 82 Posts
    I just brought a 4x4 one for my new place. I don't like it here that much, so I suspect that I will move in 6 months time. I haven't assembled it yet.

Is it difficult to disassemble it? Since you've done it I guess the expedit isn't glued together and is easy to disassemble?

• they take all of 5 minutes to disassemble...

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    I moved a few years back and we folded ours by accident too.

I wouldn't dissassemble any ikea furniture unless you absolutely have to. Shit doesn't hold up very well. I had to tie a rope around mine really hard yesterday when we moved it so the bottom wouldn't drop off.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    You can move it assembled but SHRINK WRAP it tight as possible -- just wrap the whole empty shelf a few times around with plastic. Moving with the aid of two people and a dolly will also be easiest.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Cosign on the 'no more than twice' sentiment. I've disassembled/reassembled my 2 5x5 expedits twice now. I felt like the integrity was slightly compromised on the second reassemble. I wouldn't want to do it a third time.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    the particle board wont hold up but you can usually just drill some new holes for the hardware if necessary.its not gonna be crumbling all over, maybe just in a spot or two. dewalt + drillbits = no prob.

particle board does suck though and should be avoided when possible

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    no disassemble!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    We moved the whole thing intact with a couple people to help guide us and slid it on a blanket for some of the way. No problemo.

Now I gotta buy & build another one

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I moved out of two home-maders into a 4x4. Shit's beat, as now there are rekkids all over the floor. I have just exactly enough records for a 5x5, yet here I sit with a 4x4.

a great excuse to comb through the stacks and purge some records, but that's not worth the price of a new 2x4.

IKEA gots this shelf racket on lock. I should've stayed with my homemaders, but they were ugly. Really, they were. GF was right about that.

Anyways: just ten minutes ago, I went through the "whoa that's a lot of records" embarrassment when her friends showed up to pick her up... I forget how dorky all this is sometimes...

• We moved the whole thing intact with a couple people to help guide us and slid it on a blanket for some of the way. No problemo.

Day that's a very tasty Rhodes and Clavinet, I'm liking the setup.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I moved one about 5 months ago. Not a fun experience, but it was possible. I wouldn'r reccommend dissambling unless you can't get it into a room otherwise

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Now who can move an assembled expedit... full of records?

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    We moved the whole thing intact with a couple people to help guide us and slid it on a blanket for some of the way. No problemo.

Now I gotta buy & build another one

i am just happy that 'three times dope' is out front of the pile.

me and my friend simone moved one a few weeks ago and we are a couple of chicks so i knew you could do it.... we just got real high, emptied it, slid it onto an area rug and slid that thing along. it also helped to wear steel toe shoes to wedge it up onto the rug in the first place.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    The Forearm Forklift lifting straps was the first thing that came to mind when moving an Expedit. I wonder if they would make moving much easier.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

Day that's a very tasty Rhodes and Clavinet, I'm liking the setup.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

I just can't imagine having 25 crates worth of records in such a small area doesn't cause some sort of problem. But maybe I'm a moron.

i am just happy that 'three times dope' is out front of the pile.

Me too!