Fixing off center pressings? (Hi Sketch!)

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Is this possible?

I was thinking maybe if you took a dremel tool to the hole (no Kingmost) and then put something in there to center it.
Anyone have any peaceful solutions?

Comments

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    Is this possible?

I was thinking maybe if you took a dremel tool to the hole (no Kingmost) and then put something in there to center it.
    Anyone have any peaceful solutions?

there should be something you can do, I remember seeing the Skratch Piklz do some shit where they intentionally drilled an off center hole in records to get that strange pitch bending sound....

• Options
    If it's a 45, you can find the real center using a compass, and glue a snap-in 45 center onto to the record to correspond with that center. 12"/LP, I've used and exacto knife and a 45 center to fix a couple. Never anything I'm going to sell, though.

K.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i think the easiest thing to do would be to reem out that hole (AYO!!!) to make it a whole lot bigger than it needs to be.

then take the record and stack it onto another record.. put something between if need be... stick them both on the platter ... use the record underneath to align the top off center record.. when it's centered take a plastic 45 adaptor and glue it to the off center record.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    12"/LP, I've used and exacto knife and a 45 center to fix a couple. Never anything I'm going to sell, though.

K.

probably the only solution.
    I'm interested in knowing how you found the true center, K.

• Options
    http://www.tpub.com/math1/19b.htm

Using the outside groove as the circumference (and not the outside of the record) as it's the grooves you want to center.

If you have a straight edge (unmarked ruler) and a compass, it is easy

to locate the center of a circle. Draw any line L through the circle,

so it intersects the circle at A and B. Then with the compass, find

the perpendicular bisector of AB, which will intersect the circle at C

and D. Clearly, CD is a diameter, so if you bisect CD at point O, O is

the center of the circle.

K.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    what sucks is when one side is on, the other is off, and each side has a good song. I have this dilemma with this Bugarian big band record. it gets worse as the needle gets closer to the end.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    http://www.tpub.com/math1/19b.htm

Using the outside of the grooves as the circumference.

If you have a straight edge (unmarked ruler) and a compass, it is easy
    to locate the center of a circle. Draw any line L through the circle,
    so it intersects the circle at A and B. Then with the compass, find
    the perpendicular bisector of AB, which will intersect the circle at C
    and D. Clearly, CD is a diameter, so if you bisect CD at point O, O is
    the center of the circle.

K.
    my eyes crossed when i read this.

• Options
    MOre than normal?

I couldn't resist, k.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    what sucks is when one side is on, the other is off, and each side has a good song. I have this dilemma with this Bugarian big band record. it gets worse as the needle gets closer to the end.

weird - the hole is centered but the grooves are off-center. i never heard of that.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

weird - the hole is centered but the grooves are off-center. i never heard of that.
    yeah man. my old copy of "Petey Wheatstraw" was like that too.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    read my mind. i was going through my reggae 12 and like 30% are off center like this. they play, but sound funny in certain parts (that could be dub?) and the tone arm is wobbling like hell.

figured Kevin would have worked on this. You know with those high tech factory mass produced common records he buys?