listen to what I got this week

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
I'd be interested in what people think about this. I'm totally nuts about this record but maybe the vocals are too over the top for some... my wife doesn't like it for example but it's sending shivers up and down my spine with each listen. The whole LP is great. Won't reveal what it is though, first time I do this so please don't be mad. All I can say is that it's from Nigeria and recorded in 1975.

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I really like the way this is recorded. Lotta room in between the instruments. Singing is different from other Nigerian records you've posted...it's interesting. I want to know what she's singing about though...

I like the second track a lot more...guitar solo is great.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I like everything that's not the lead vocals.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Can you pan that shit? Her singing's intolerable, and this is from a dude who loves Bollywood.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Very nice, little bit of a juju feel.

I like the vocals.

I think it is a guy singing.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Hey Frank,

I like the 2nd more than the 1st, where the vocals kind of interfere. The 2nd, sounds more like it fits right.

- Jonny

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    thanx for the feedback.
    I knew that the vocals would polarize the opinions.
    She's a Nigerian vocalist whow had classical training in Rome and then went back to Nigeria and recorded this very obscure album with a well known Highlife/Afrobeat orchestra.

I love the entire album and am trying to figure out if it's re-issue worthy or not...

thanx for the feedback.
    I knew that the vocals would polarize the opinions.
    She's a Nigerian vocalist whow had classical training in Rome and then went back to Nigeria and recorded this very obscure album with a well known Highlife/Afrobeat orchestra.

I love the entire album and am trying to figure out if it's re-issue worthy or not...

I don't think her vocals would turn off fans of AfroPop.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    hey frank, sounds real nice, i love both tracks and the vocals are cool with me. the 2nd one is more intriguing to me personally. hi dude. -abb

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Yeah, if the rest of the album is of similar quality
    I'd say it's re-worthy. The band sounds hot and the vocals
    grow on you as soon as you get used to 'em.

• Vocals are hot.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Vocals are tranced

Great music.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    please to reish, i would certainly coppeth. i actually really like the vocals though...

• Both good. If you re-ish would the band know of it?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Thanx again for the feedback. Glad some of you like the vocals.

The label I work with always does things legit but legit often doesn't means you can't license directly from the band. With a lot of Nigerian stuff you need to go through the Nigerian Music Board and the original label or whoever owns the copyrights of their catalogue. There are a lot of legit re-issues and compilations out there that the bands don't get paid for or might not even know about. If you go through the band, there's a strong possibility of getting yourself into serious legal trouble.

Legit often means the label owner getting money and the artist getting screwed. Not seldom for the second time around.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Wasn't feeling the vocals on the first cut, but after really feeling the second, I'd def. cop a reissue of this. Whatever legal hoops you have to jump through to get it out there, I hope it goes well, Frank!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I think the vocals are great and unique. Not over the top at all to my ears.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    thumbs up on both frank. the vocals on the first are kinda crazy, but i like them. if the whole LP is like this, id have to consider getting it too. hopefully it has a cover on par with that other insanity youve posted in the past

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    The second track has a similar BUILDING quality as "See Line Woman". Cool Shit.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    vocals really aren't that weird at all... by people's comments i wuz expecting showtune oversinging or tinny bollywood screetching... i think she sounds great...