Earth Hour: DO IT!

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    This reeks of new world order mass indoctrination.

DON'T DO IT! DON'T COMPROMISE YOUR FREEDOM!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    If enough people do this, the power surge when everyone turns their lights back on could cause a rolling black out.

Real conservation happens every day, not in some bogus shit for show once a year.

• If enough people do this, the power surge when everyone turns their lights back on could cause a rolling black out.

Real conservation happens every day, not in some bogus shit for show once a year.
    'Nuff said.

• If enough people do this, the power surge when everyone turns their lights back on could cause a rolling black out.

I agree on "every day" but don't you see the value in people doing this? It seem like it would make people be aware, cause people stop and think of there usage and eventually alter their habits.

b/w

DOESN'T LIKE CONSERVATIONS ELBOWS

:eyeroll:

Maybe I'm being cynical but...

The people who have awareness are already aware, the people who don't won't care one way or the other. This is just some feel-good PR stunt whose main effect will be to assuage some people's guilt and give them the illusion that they're changing things when, in reality, they aren't.

IMO.

• Maybe I'm being cynical but...

You've come to the right place. Cop a squat and let's hate on giving a shit.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

No doubt. Why don't you tell us some things you've done (apart from considering turning the lights out for 24 hours) that might help conserve energy?

No doubt. Why don't you tell us some things you've done (apart from considering turning the lights out for 24 hours) that might help conserve energy?

Since you care... I spent four years and much $$$ getting my degree in Ecology 25 years ago. I ran an organic farm for a couple of years in upstate NY, where I helped convince the two largest farmers in the area to start converting some of their acreage to organic. If you go into health food stores now you can find their organic products on the shelves. These same people literally laughed at us when we
    started our farm way back then.

My yard and garden are still organic and I'm in the process of getting some of my neighbors to follow. My TV is from 1972 and stereo amp is from 1964. I have many of the same clothes I had 20 years ago. I generate maybe one bag of garbage a week tops. I recycle every little scrap of plastic and metal I can, and I have for decades. My electric bill is maybe half of most other people I know. Virtually every piece of furniture I have is rescued from the garbage, so are many other things I own.

Shall I go on? I will if you really want.

I guess I'm more interested in being effective than patting myself on the back, and frankly, the holier-than-thou attitude that invariably accompanies these stunts is pretty f*cking annoying. Especially when people who don't know anything about you start calling you out.

I don't "hate" on giving a shit, I'm just not impressed with doing things for show.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    ^^Tripledouble alias revealed!!^^

M*ke... I wasn't asking you! I was asking Young_Phonics.

haha.

M*ke... I wasn't asking you! I was asking Young_Phonics.

haha.

Ooops.... Still applies to YP, though.

• I grade records by candlelight. GOML!

• dayday 9,612 Posts

No doubt. Why don't you tell us some things you've done (apart from considering turning the lights out for 1 hour[/b]) that might help conserve energy?

What's up with teh KingMoist Snark? Dude is nalgasing the game

• dayday 9,612 Posts

I keed because I love!

• I guess I'm more interested in being effective than patting myself on the back, and frankly, the holier-than-thou attitude that invariably accompanies these stunts is pretty f*cking annoying. Especially when people who don't know anything about you start calling you out.

I don't "hate" on giving a shit, I'm just not impressed with doing things for show.

Teh irony. Speaking of "holier-than-though" and "not doing things for show".

So people have to do these crazy operation just to even have a say or feel they are making a type of contribution? This is similar to the guy who got butt-hurt when people where not feeling the Kutiman youtube *ZOMG WHERE'S YOUR REMIXES?!?!*

I agree 110%, that some people will feel great about doing this and go back to there careless attitude which is the way shit it sadly, while other people's attitudes and view on energy conservation could actually change. Bottom line: it's a proactive move and it shouldn't be shitted on.

More power to you, no pun intended, for being to recycle everything and whatnot.

• "Switching off your lights is a vote for Earth, or leaving them on is a vote for global warming"

1 for global warming.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    "Switching off your lights is a vote for Earth, or leaving them on is a vote for global warming"

1 for global warming.

I'm going to leave my air conditioning on low all day because King Moist posted this thread.

So people have to do these crazy operation just to even have a say or feel they are making a type of contribution?

Actually, the answer to this question is yes.

I don't do "all these crazy operations" either; I'm just as culpable. Honestly, most folks (you and me included) are just doing an event here, a march there, signing a petition here, doing a special earth day mix there, turning off their lights for an hour, and lecturing people about conservation.

The bottom line is that it is just not enough.

The small, small amount of stuff most people (again, you and me included) do for conservation is just pissing in the wind. Not that it's meaningless, but... how long have recycling campaigns been around? How long have people been encouraged to take public transportation? How often do you drive into SF rather than ride a bike (a la Belafonte) or take the bus or better yet, actually sacrifice some hard earned cash to move closer so you're not commuting? How often do I drive when I could be taking the train? How often do I do loads of laundry that I could've held off on to conserve water and energy? I would say the majority of this city still does not recycle properly. Despite having the best public transportation system in the country, the freeways are still jammed with commuters (I know, I see them almost every day). That's just the basic level of shit.

Turning off the lights for an hour is not nearly enough, neither is lecturing people about it, or getting butt-hurt when someone puts the onus back on you. Wear that shit on your sleeve all you want, and talk about "raising awareness" to whoever will listen. Snark about people's cynicism. But honestly, none of this shit matters when people can still pat themselves on the back, sleep well at night, and gas their car up in the morning feeling like they're making great steps towards conservation while sacrificing almost nothing in the process.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Not having a job saves lots of energy.

Unemployment is good for the Earth.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    for real...driving is down across the country. which compounds tax flow problems due to declining revenue from gas taxes, tolls, etc

im not sure what the answer is, but i tend to agree with paycheck on this one. im not too mad at big publicity stunts though. even if people disagree, it raises the issue and might get people to think of a more relevant solution.

I did switch to paper bags in my shop last year.

A small thing, but something I can actually control a lil bit.

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    maybe they should start by flicking the switch on the energy comsuming server that website is hosted on

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    half the reason I ride my bike to work and recycle and shit is so I can brag about it.

well, my car sucks and traffic sucks...

While it is a "big picture" thing...saving the world...I don't see everyone turning their lights off for an hour as a BAD thing. Goofy and fun, but I'm cool with it.

(I left my teevee on, because there was this soccer game on, and it was semi-interesting...)

but broke out the candles, putting some more particulate matter into the atmosphere...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

but broke out the candles, putting some more particulate matter into the atmosphere...

If we all turned out the lights and burned canldles, a wouldn't someone be telling us this was bad too? Or at least be trying to sell me 'energy-efficient-low-burning candles'?

All I know at 8:30 pm in DC last night, shit was pumping all over town--bright lights everywhere, I don't think DC got the memo on this event at all.

• even if people disagree, it raises the issue and might get people to think of a more relevant solution.

/thraed

• "Switching off your lights is a vote for Earth, or leaving them on is a vote for global warming"

1 for global warming.

I'm going to leave my air conditioning on low all day because King Moist posted this thread.

Not one really miss Hawaii when it's gone.