turntable freak out (1200 rel)

JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
anyone hear of a turntable pitch just start freaking out in the middle of a set?speeding up/slowing down for no reason?here's what i know (i don't have the deck in front of me)-pitch control was replaced a few months ago (they took it to someone who put a mkII pitch control with the zero lock in an m3d, but when i played on the setup, it didn't seem to effect it)-it is 2 12's, a Rane 57 and s.erato with a mac-there's no diplomatic way to tell the club owner "the dj's you have trainwreck because their tapered jeans are too tight" which is my theory, but they apparently have had a few complaints from multiple dj's about this one deck.any ideas?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    When i first copped my 12,I didnt know one had to flip the switch underneath that is for somethin' like the UK/US electrical thingy.

My boy looked at me like a srt8 dummy.

Not sayin thats what your problem is.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Yes. We had a pair of tables at the station I DJed at, both had the problem and I could never figure it out. Both the tables had really weird pick up times too...not nearly as quick as my tables at home...I always felt like it was probably something having to do with our power supply and not the turntable but who knows.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    When i first copped my 12,I didnt know one had to flip the switch underneath that is for somethin' like the UK/US electrical thingy.

My boy looked at me like a srt8 dummy.

Not sayin thats what your problem is.

that may be it-- something dumb that i overlooked. if the owner of the club ever calls me back, i'll check that.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    could it be a Microwave issue? Try new rca cables.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    could it be a Microwave issue? Try new rca cables.
    it's on the rane 57, so the only rca's are coming out of the turntable. i tested those for resistance from the headshell socket back to the plugs and the signals were clean, even while stressed.

• when the pitch changes quickly like that, it's usually something to do with the magnet under the platter. off-balance or something.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    I played at this one place that had the most shitty decks i've ever seen. Someone had spilled a drink all over one of them and i had to wipe it down before i even used it. Sticky turntables are not a good look. In order to change pitch on it i had to turn it off move the slider and turn it back on otherwise it wouldn't register the change in pitch. I was tryin to tell my friend who put on the nite that the table was fucked but he was really faded. It was only when he tried to use it that he worked out it was broken and they got a replacement in.

• ArtichokeArtichoke 112 Posts
    yeah this happened to me several times pre Microwave ... and then it mysteriously went back to normal. not much help in terms of why it happens but i believe its a turntable issue!

• i believe its a turntable issue!
    has to be. turntables are output only.