›

Record Store Owners

analog_tapeanalog_tape 604 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
What are some record's that came through your store that you would have loved to keep, but sold them because you wanna keep the interesting or may have needed the money to pay bills?

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Shit, like every other one of them

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    I think this is one of the reasons I could never own a record store. The constant heartbreak of having to let them go.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    there will always be another record

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

NO. GET IN WHILE U CAN.

Exactly.

I now must recall the time I spent with a certain special record, when we took a journey to the shore together. Breathing in her scent, windswept by the crisp sea air. Her soul set me afire, as I caressed her curves and ran my fingers delicately along her grooves. Records like this are a rare pleasure, to be savored like a fine wine. The shrink wrap so tight on her spine, spindle hole as clean and tight as the day it was made. Could I be the first? No! It couldn't be true. I knew that this could not last forever, nor did I want it to. I felt so alive.

Soon enough, I moved on. I am a man of various and sophisticated appetites, seldom sated by just one record. But I'll always have the memories of she and I, and the music we made together.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Owning a store "cured" me of some of the darker impulses of collecting, mostly by seeing the inevitable results of indiscriminate hoarding.

I've bought numerous collections where the records have literally taken over the persons apartment/house and life.
    Records in the bathroom ("Uh, I'll pass on those..."), kitchen cabinets, stove etc. So many records that the sound system is no longer accessible. The guy in Newark who had custom record shelves lining every wall and more records BEHIND those that had been walled in decades ago. Had to physically remove the shelves before I could even see the boxes they were in.

I ain't goin' out like that.

A lot of times I'll take a juicy record home, live with it for a while, and then sell it.

Some records I like, but I'll only listen to it every 5 years or so. I'll sell it and listen to it whenever it comes in again.

It was a process, for sure, but there's light at the end of the tunnel.

• johnny- did you let go of your minority band?? i'd have thought that would have been a keeper til the death! its either that or i completely misinterpreted what you were sayin above.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

Exactly.

I now must recall the time I spent with a certain special record, when we took a journey to the shore together. Breathing in her scent, windswept by the crisp sea air. Her soul set me afire, as I caressed her curves and ran my fingers delicately along her grooves. Records like this are a rare pleasure, to be savored like a fine wine. The shrink wrap so tight on her spine, spindle hole as clean and tight as the day it was made. Could I be the first? No! It couldn't be true. I knew that this could not last forever, nor did I want it to. I felt so alive.

Soon enough, I moved on. I am a man of various and sophisticated appetites, seldom sated by just one record. But I'll always have the memories of she and I, and the music we made together.

so what you're saying is, the same people that are obsessed with f*cking virgins are the ones buying all those sealed records from djukic?

Haha yeah I sold Minority Band a long time ago.

That record is good no doubt but it's not even close to a "take to the grave" kind of thing.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    All of them. And none of them.

2 that I worked hard to replace were:
    Lily Tchiumba on Monitor
    Test Department with the Welsh Mens Striking Miners Choir.

I didn't work so hard that I bought them on line, but I had my eyes open for years to replace those.

Today music is so available. If I am jonesing for a James Brown, Harlem Underground, Nina Simone or Earl Scruggs song and I sold the record I will just go find it on youtube.

The point of opening my store was to have the time to listen to my collection. If you have more than 200 records you are not listening to most of them.

Thought of 2 more I was desperate to replace:
    Edward Teller describes the nature of the universe. With the comic book and the map.
    Space Songs - thats the one with Zoom A Little Zoom.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts

Exactly.