ahhh geez i dont like Grime

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
cuz this beat had me kind of like "cool so smooth. catchy vocal sample"BOOM!!vocal rubbish http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjNeH5nsods

Comments

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    i'm not quite sure that i know what separates the grime from the umbrella of hip-hop. is it because of the BPM, the low-end sound, double time raps, and the fact that it's british? what differentiates a grime MC vs. a rapper in terms of execution? how is a dude like sway different from a kano?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    the BPM, the low-end sound, double time raps, and the fact that it's british

• grime has taken the uk by storm - its all so generic and boring sounding.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    right, wheres that Wiley freestyle gone.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Anything but boring:

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    I think Grime stems from Reggae and dancehall more than hip hop does... or that was the argument made to me at least.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    I think Grime stems from Reggae and dancehall more than hip hop does... or that was the argument made to me at least.

yes, that's half of it... the other half is garage...

ideally grime straddles dance music and rap music equally... the best grime is equally both...

grime is interesting, as when it came up, the DJ was the big thing, guys like Slimzee were the dudes and the MC's were secondary, so alot of vinyl was sold, mostly instrumental... then when dizzee blew up and succesfully added hip hop "lyricism" (as opposed to simple "rave bars" designed to hype up the audience, but weren't actually songs), the focus got moved to the MC... eventually the balance between MC and DJ got thrown out of whack and lots of shitty sounding Dipset rip off tracks came out (06)... now, the lack of grime raves and pirate radio shows have sort of killed the grime vinyl market and tons of good tracks never come out... no one wants to buy records they have no place to spin...

ummmmmm, anyways, best new grime vocal track in the last year:

best way to listen to grime is pirate radio tapes, check http://grimetapes.com/

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    The best grime mc hands down is Ghetto.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    The best grime mc hands down is Ghetto.

i can't stand his f*cking voice...

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    To each their own, his flow is cold.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I've been playing the shit out of P Money's album/street tape for months now. Great great grime longplayer