FOREIGN RAPPERS DELIGHT VERSIONS

floriankellerfloriankeller 62 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
since i'm quite sure there must be some:i'm looking for foreign cover versions of rappers delight[/b] please pm or post any info you have.for those who might not know the (awful) german version:GLS - Rapper's Deutsch (how stupid one can be to RAP about Boomtown Rats & Bill Haley ??)

Comments

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I first thought of this but remembered it to have portuguese lyrics. Wasn't there a brazilian version with raps?

• know this one, thanks for the post!
    i only have the comp, so i duno wheter theres a vocal version.
    but actually i'm quite sure some (japanese, french, spanish) might pop up

• there is a brazilian version with lyrics, its by a dude called miele, its on the flipside of the 45 which the gang do tagarela version above came off. its pretty cheesy but here it is anyway:

Miele - Melo Do Tagarela

• theres also a canadian version called rappers de-feet recorded by some dudes called the "scottie pete gang"

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    howya florian, you may remember me from getting tailed by spooks in elevators in Minsk!

anyway

rodney p,chester p,kano,sway,j2k,simone ,yungun,swiss + did an allright one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd76GdDwtuo

• tailed by spooks in elevators in Minsk!

and kgb officers at the airport... hi mick!
    thanks 4 the link!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    From Jamaica...actually the flip to this is a reggae version called "rockers delight" that features some patois...im sure most of y'all know this one...

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Paperstax auctioned off a really obscure one from a cumbia compilation or something recently, forget what country.

I ran into a pretty good instro edit of the Miele version by "Roc Hunter". Use the internets to find it. Brasilian disco for the most part is straight up awful though IMO.

• how do i embed a facebook video?

• Yo Florian - forget about the miele version, everybody knows. look out for a pic slv 45 which actually splices a funky version of "rappers" into a sick batucada break, then back to the "rappers", hard as hell!

Yo spelunk,

yeah, i feel you about MOST brasilian disco. BUT some brasilian disco is heat. heaty heat.

Ronoldo Reseda's version of "mas que nada" is criminally uncomped. that shit shoulda been at least one of the hundreds of brasilian compilations. much better than just a "mas que nada" version. mental breaks.

for Boogie, we have Almir Ricardi "festa funk", Marcos Valle "estrellar" is arguably the best disco/boogie song ever made.

and for some reason the Armed Gang 12's and LP's were distributed there.

I did a big crazy ass interview with the Don of Disco in Sao Paulo, the argentinian dj/talk show host/yak shmacker Mr. Sam. He basically went to all the world music conferences and effectively brought disco to brazil. I learned some insight from that talk. The interview revealed that alot of disco in Brazil was influenced by Charo, and disco quickly got kicked to the curb by the more electro / high energy type sound, which effectively became Baile funk.

• on the marcos valle estrelar comment- it shows how diverse valle really is.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    There was a UK 7" parody done by Allan & Blewitt called Chip Shop Wrapping.

It basically had two yorkshire dudes going something a long the lines of:

I said a chip, shop, a chippy, a chippy chippy chip chip shop and you don't stop the rock, with the bang bang mash I said fried plaice and haddock with the chippies and the mushelly peas..

It wasn't THE original rapper's delight backing, but the session musicians did a very close nod towards it.

I can dig it out and upload it if anyones interested.

Peace.

Yo Florian - forget about the miele version, everybody knows. look out for a pic slv 45 which actually splices a funky version of "rappers" into a sick batucada break, then back to the "rappers", hard as hell!

Yo spelunk,

yeah, i feel you about MOST brasilian disco. BUT some brasilian disco is heat. heaty heat.

Ronoldo Reseda's version of "mas que nada" is criminally uncomped. that shit shoulda been at least one of the hundreds of brasilian compilations. much better than just a "mas que nada" version. mental breaks.

for Boogie, we have Almir Ricardi "festa funk", Marcos Valle "estrellar" is arguably the best disco/boogie song ever made.

and for some reason the Armed Gang 12's and LP's were distributed there.

I did a big crazy ass interview with the Don of Disco in Sao Paulo, the argentinian dj/talk show host/yak shmacker Mr. Sam. He basically went to all the world music conferences and effectively brought disco to brazil. I learned some insight from that talk. The interview revealed that alot of disco in Brazil was influenced by Charo, and disco quickly got kicked to the curb by the more electro / high energy type sound, which effectively became Baile funk.

Yeah Mister Sam has his own records with his own remixes and tracks. He is to disco in Brasil what Ademir & Big Boy were to funk and soul. I mean there is a long DJing history here, and for sure some of the biggest disco parties outside of NYC were in Rio, huge soundsystems, some of which are still in use for baile funk today, giant venues. And like NYC you also had heavier sounds, funk DJs alongside more straight ahead disco in the 70s. It's crazy how in so many ways, beyond music too, Brasil and the US run parallel.

And yes, all the tracks you named are pretty good. But in reality it was a scene based around American disco "grandes sucessos" or big hits. Imported for the upper class. Other than people trying to capitalize off of it, IMO disco didn't really leave much of a mark on brasilian music, especially if you consider just how heavily influenced MPB is by american rock, funk, and miami-bass. It's kind of like hip-hop outside the states - a few people get it right, most don't, and for the most part DJs play american records.

I will say that it's not exactly true that hi-nrg and electro turned into Baile funk. It's more like the popularity of electro and deep Florida connections opened the door for miami bass, which spun off into baile funk. But that transition didn't happen in the club, it took a long time for baile funk to be accepted at mainstream places and on the radio. There are still a lot of people here who hate it. Girls who walk off dancefloors when it comes on. I would say that electronic music - house, trance, etc. took over, and still reigns supreme in terms of what gets played, and the biggest shows, outside of S??o Paulo, where you can find pretty much anything. Also, baile funk has changed a lot musically over the years, crazier rhythms and a lot more stuttered vocals now, also more blatantly violent/sexual (not talmbout Diplo/Bonde do Role or anything you can get commercially in the states / in English on the web). When you listen to baile funk from 5-10 years ago in comparison it sounds way different, and the early stuff is straight simplistic.

What's most interesting IMO is that the fundamental elements of Baile Funk (the rhythms and repeated, yelled vocals) have influenced all kinds of brasilian music now. I have heard MPB, salsa, samba, everything with baile funk rhythms and it sounds ill.

/offtopic/

• From Jamaica...actually the flip to this is a reggae version called "rockers delight" that features some patois...im sure most of y'all know this one...

I was about to post this one. I have it on the Reggae Hustle comp. A nice alternative version to play. Ha, just noticed Thes sampled the drum break intro

From Jamaica...actually the flip to this is a reggae version called "rockers delight" that features some patois...im sure most of y'all know this one...

I was about to post this one. I have it on the Reggae Hustle comp. A nice alternative version to play. Ha, just noticed Thes sampled the drum break intro

There's also "Rockers Delight" on the Funner Than Leather mixtape.

I've accidentally ran into so many samples from the last album, it's weird.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

New Jersey & Long Island are foreign countries.

I have a 7inch about my local soccer team that emulates rappers delight. I still have to load it up. its bad though...not bad meaning good...

• Yo Florian - forget about the miele version, everybody knows. look out for a pic slv 45 which actually splices a funky version of "rappers" into a sick batucada break, then back to the "rappers", hard as hell!

you have any more info on that? sounds promising!

• Hey Florian,
    I'm going to take this opportunity to ask you about a slowish reggae version of Rapper's Delight that you (I think it was you and not one of the other djs:) played in your set at the Maroquinerie in Paris a year or two ago. It was awesome and not (I believe) the other reggae cover posted above. Thanks for any info.

Hey Florian,
    I'm going to take this opportunity to ask you about a slowish reggae version of Rapper's Delight that you (I think it was you and not one of the other djs:) played in your set at the Maroquinerie in Paris a year or two ago. It was awesome and not (I believe) the other reggae cover posted above. Thanks for any info.

If I may chime in, the B-side to the Xanadu is called "Rockers Delight" and is a Reggaecover, as stated above. Maybe it was this one...

• hey florian good to see you on here...did you get the lyman woodard mp3 i sent you? anyway, kon and i still tryin to get back to munich so be on the look out.

take care,

amir

• Hey Florian,

If I may chime in, the B-side to the Xanadu is called "Rockers Delight" and is a Reggaecover, as stated above. Maybe it was this one...

hthat's what it was, right.

• hey florian good to see you on here...did you get the lyman woodard mp3 i sent you? anyway, kon and i still tryin to get back to munich so be on the look out.

take care,

amir

hi amir!
    got them, thank you for that!!! my night is every 2nd sat of each month, let me know wen you're planning your next trip to eu.

• Hey Florian,

hthat's what it was, right.

Cheers. Been wondering ever since...

• slowish reggae version of Rapper's Delight

also might have been General Echo Rapping Dub Style (Techniques 45)

and CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN HOW TO EMBED YOUTUBE FILES??? THANKS!

and CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN HOW TO EMBED YOUTUBE FILES??? THANKS!

next to the youtube videos you will find a code that says "embed". copy that into the post field and you're good to go. sollte klappen

• and CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN HOW TO EMBED YOUTUBE FILES??? THANKS!

next to the youtube videos you will find a code that says "embed". copy that into the post field and you're good to go. sollte klappen

so?

• slowish reggae version of Rapper's Delight

also might have been General Echo Rapping Dub Style (Techniques 45)

YES! That's definitely the one. Was shure it was a male dj and very slow... Thanks a mil.