The Place Where I Dwell

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Hey,"I live in Somerset, New Jersey, baby." I love it living out where the deer roam and crickets chirp, while NYC and Illadelphia are less than an hour away by train. Also, there's cool shit to do in New Brunswick and down in Princeton too. I'm lovin' it. Post those pics and tell me how you feel about where you at!!!Peace,Big Stacks from KakalakP.S. To make it record related, I'm 'bout to play me some Cecil Taylor "Conquistador!"

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    west philly,pa
    trees and trolleys and row homes is the landscape.
    clark park, 3 blocks away, has old head chess players, dedicated volleyballers, flea markets, farmers markets, the legendary basketball court, the extra diverse playground set, picnics, juneberry trees (ripe in june), larping (dont ask), and the bowl, which features concerts, dogs, sledding, african 15 vs 15 soccer, lil kids soccer, and the yearly giant puppet paegent.
    fruit carts, frat parties, bikes everywhere, weed heads and drunks, hustlers, gardens, students, and urban renewal and decay.
    and we got a couple decent record shops.

i barely leave my neighborhood!

im listening to the sounds of silence, but im a rock some headhunters as i prepare my dinner.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Born and raised in Honolulu, HI, 25 years. I don't see myself living anywhere else but who knows?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo,

Pics please, gentlemen.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    KOREATOWN, LA. its ugly here like most of LA. and koreatown is a misnomer of sorts as it is only a literal "koreatown" on the weekends when they all pile in their leased bmw's and party like rockstars out here. otherwise its a predominantly latino neighborhood. no record shops. no thrift shops. just endless korean restaurants and liquor stores. the closest park is seoul park which, coincidentally, i was watching that national geographic doc on WORLDS MOST DANGEROUS GANGS or some such and according to them, ms started at seoul park. i like it though. especially since i smashed up my car last year. my 4th one. anyways, its centrally located and right near a trainline, which is mildly convenient.

i work in MIDCITY. its a dump. but i like it. cant really get anything good to eat out here. its all crappy tomm-abees burger joints and fish fry. predominantly african-american, though it is one of the most ethnically and economically mixed neighborhoods in LA. it is also slowly getting gentrified from the west and the north, but very slowly, which is fine with me. our block is still fairly shitty and lovely. i feel more comfy in these 2 neighborhoods than any other spot in LA.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

A shot from my commute. I'm a wino, so it's all good with me.

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    I live in Melbourne, Aus.
    I used to walk less than one miniute up the road to catch the view below (one of my fave's), now it's a 10miniute walk.....no complaints!!
    A lil further up there's a dog beach where i take Chewy/Chew-Chew to frolic with the other pups.
    It's a 15/20 minute drive into the heart of Melbourne city and roughly the same by train (waiting not incl.)
    The older i get, the more i really heart this place.....

Currently listening to- kate bush's wuthering heights.....(my uncle's name in Heathcliff....always loved the song)

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    this was shot at the corner store 2 shops down from where i work. korean dudes still run it too. YOU BUY AND LEAVE!

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

There is still a shitload of cleanup to be done from last year's record-breaking historic flood. Neighborhoods are still waiting to be demolished, its like a ghost town in certain parts of the city. Water was up to just about the top of the first floor windows. Cedar Rapids, IA.

Otherwise, I live on a busy street near the "Irish District."
    Meth house next door in an otherwise quiet neighborhood.
    Record-related: neighbor lady gave me a copy of Love's first album a few years back. She didn't have anything else worth keeping though.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Yo,

Pics please, gentlemen.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

classic philly scene in the clark park bowl (2 weeks ago). me against the tree reminiscing:

view from my new roof to kingsessing rec center and southwest philly housing stock and me yawning in the twilight

• Los Angeles
    Westside
    I love to visit fam & friends back east but this is where I'll be for awhile.

My neighborhood:

& of course:

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Most western city in Germany, Aachen, Eastside. This is one block down from me, a famous ice cream store which was once run by a famous boxer. He had huge hands. you can still get huge portions there for a euro. in the summer the qeue is hella long, takes up to 30min to get yo ice. but its worth it.

the area where I live is at least 50% foreigners of all sorts. We once had a crack spot right across the street and u have the usual drunken fathers and childbeating going on. other than that, the flats are nice and it is cheap. Holland and Belgium are 2.5 miles away. this is what it looks like a block up from my place.

down that street though you have a place like this

where you can find this:

since the city is so small, the good, bad & the ugly are pretty close together. I do like to get out to the point where the three countries Netherlands, Belgium, and Germany meet though...from there you can see our beautiful hospital which looks like a space station and was once crowned the ugliest building in Europe. They had no money to finish it, thats why you see all those crazy tubes around it...I pretty much grew up around there...

one of the oldest record stores in my town, strictly surviving nowadays because a few guys heavily buy dubstep on vinyl. Tam Tam Records. huge on Drum'n Bass still.

I dont know how long i will still stay here, been here way too long. If I see where y'all live, I get to think about it...

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I tried god dammn it...but my pix wont uplaod. will repost tomorrow...

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    well i was born and raised in philly and growing up, my neighbor to the right was this guy

and to the left was this guy

no joke. if you don't know who they are only google can save you now and even that is not enough

yep it was a philly legend sandwich in our house, and a happy childhood and my dad's offices were in brooklyn heights so we would leave and live there on the weekends and i would wake up very early and take my little binoculars and stare at these from pretty much this exact vantage point from our window on pierpont place:

nowadays i live in downtown manhattan

this is a rainbow from out of one of my windows, can you beleive that!!!??

and i am part owner of a business in philly too

so i still have to go there a fair amount and love to visit family and friends and buy records whilst there.

some day i will live in the tropics and farm herbs and vegetables and make a little bamboo hut just for my records and let my grandkids look after them

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    This is town where I'm attending university and have all my records. Weimar - in the east of germany. It's on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list and it seems as if every german writer, philosopher, composer of the classical age has lived here. It's also the place where the Bauhaus was founded. That's why it's always crowded with tourists. At the same time it's very relaxing, people are freindly and the landscape is dreamlike.

The innercity park.

The market square.

This is the place where I can go to hang out, enjoy the sun, be alone. A sweet little valley with a lot of cherry trees only a few minutes by bike from my home.

Whenever I'm not studying I stay with my girlfried in Germanys southern metropol Munich. A beautiful place with a little too many wealthy people. The money ruins it for me. Everything is too expensive here. I you don't make massive cash you're out.
    Still it's a good place to enjoy life especially in summer.

A few minutes from home. In summer the whole river Isar turns into a beach. Taking a bath inside the heart of a 1,3 million inhab. city, how nice is that.

• Brick, NJ

Right by that letter 'a', two blocks from the Manasquan Inlet, a couple of miles west of the Atlantic Ocean. Middle/working class area surrounded by big money on both sides (Brielle and south Brick both of which are filled with expensive houses).
    My wife and I were just talking this past weekend about how the general area is a nice place to live. Decent climate, lots of nice places to go. Not too far from NYC and Philly, decent restaurants and shopping withing a reasonable distance and most importantly a good school district for our sons needs.

• reppin' streetsville.

hair salons, guitar shops and pubs.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    Out of the bedroom window (sometimes):

Out of the front last month:

Regional bits:
    Wading Deer in Wollaton Park

Easy way to clean alloys:

Local feud settlement:

M1 J26 would you believe, 200m from house:

Approach to Peak Cavern

Major Oak in Sherwood Forest (Robin Hood's hideout (allegedly)):

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Boston, Massachusetts, aka The Athens of America, aka The Hub of the Universe. I love it. I was born here, and I may very well die here.

My neighborhood:

The view from my back deck. You can see WGBH and the New Balance building in the left of the photo in the background.

My city:

• TahneeTahnee 46 Posts
    albuquerque, nm
    lived here most of my life, moved away for a while then moved back. it treats me well...

Sandias

red chile addict
    i can make a great sauce out of this...

Ristras

old churches along day trip drives

Chimayo Church

• Corner of Mission St. and Highland Ave.
    Deep Mission
    SF, CA

Mission and Highland

• downtown vancouver: a few steps from my place....

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Harlem, U.S.A.

This historic photo was taken right around the corner, on 126th between 5th & Lennox:

Langston Hughes' old house is more or less across the street from me

Then:

Now:

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    my dwelling

my neighborhood in Memphis is called "Normal Station", named after the old train stop for the University of Memphis...

The park and gardens across the street from my house:

the radio station where I DJ is in this neighborhood, South Main

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    Stacks, I know you are a relatively recent transplant, but you're supposed to downplay Jersey to keep the New Yorkers from moving in.

New Jersey sucks!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

old churches along day trip drives

Chimayo Church

Chimayo, very interesting stop

I really want to go back to New Mexico, lots of cool little towns.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    MONTREAL, QC
    And loving it as always.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Mad bucolic viberrations yo!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Lj??svallagata, Reykjav??k, ??sland.

Out front:

Kitchen-window-view of back yard:

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Stacks, I know you are a relatively recent transplant, but you're supposed to downplay Jersey to keep the New Yorkers from moving in.

New Jersey sucks!

Hey LadyDay,

Oops, my bad!!! I was just big-upping my area of Dirty Jerz as a cool place to live. My wife and I call it "home" now. It's a great feeling and we were sick of moving around.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak