NEW OLD SOUL RECOMENDATIONS?

haze25haze25 759 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Looking for some good new soul stuff that sounds like it's from the 60's/70's. i have my favorite stuff listed below, i'm sure theres alot of shit i'm missing though. if theres any mixes please let me know.RAPHAEL SAADIQ "INSTANT VINTAGE" + THE LAST RELEASEAMY WINEHOUSEANTHONY HAMILTON-"DO YOU FEEL ME"SHARON JONESEL MICHAELS AFFAIRMAYER HAWTHORNE HEART SHAPED 45what am i missing out on? thx in advance.peace,xavier

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    try that new myron & e 45 as well as some of the other Timmion stuff.
    kings go forth?
    a bunch of other daptone, or truth & soul stuff.
    there was a thread a while back where people were listing all their favorite new funk/soul artists, I grabbed a few great reccomendations off there.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    Bamboos Present Kylie Auldist.
    Also look for any tracks off Bamboo albums featuring vocalists. I especially like the track, "Head In The Clouds" ft. Tyra Hammond. It's off the Rawville album.
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/575096774032f6ef/

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    Alice Russell isn't exactly what you're looking for, but you should check her out if you're not familiar.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Jamie Lidell's "Jim" album is an enjoyable collection of new retro soul. Probably my favorite album from 2008.

• try that new myron & e 45

YUP

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Mayer Hawthorne is a terd, an awful attempt at soul music...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    RAPHAEL SAADIQ "INSTANT VINTAGE"

I dont recall this being as Retro as his last joker.

• J_RoyJ_Roy 33 Posts

yes.

I think the Lee Fields' new joints on Truth & Soul are worth checking as well. New album to drop this year.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    RAPHAEL SAADIQ "INSTANT VINTAGE"

I dont recall this being as Retro as his last joker.

you didn't like the last album?

i know alot of the tracks seems similar, but once you let the hooks creep into your brain they tend to make up for the fact alot of the backing tracks sound like 66 motown scraps (though i do really like the album regardless of all the problems i see with it).

Mayer Hawthorne is a terd, an awful attempt at soul music...

i enjoyed the 45, haven't heard anything else though.

And i picked up the nicole willis and hated it, i'm sure i'm in the super minority here, but i thought the songwriting on that album was horrible.

peace,xavier

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Is that Lee Fields LP ever coming out?

I don't really get what people have against the Nicole Willis or Mayer Hawthorne.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    i figured you dudes would have had a field day cause i mentioned amy winehouse. anyway, i'm gonna re-listen to nicole willis, and thanks to all who gave suggestions.

peace,xavier

• Is that Lee Fields LP ever coming out?

I don't really get what people have against the Nicole Willis or Mayer Hawthorne.

THEY MAD!

Even though it's not a total retro thing I would recommend that Chin Chin song I made a thread about. Real nice.

• J_RoyJ_Roy 33 Posts
    Is that Lee Fields LP ever coming out?

seriously. been wanting to cop since hearing this 45.