TUBA time

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
hot 8 brass band really woke my ass up to the all mighty power of the tuba.good god, thats like the king of the brass, laying down the ridiculous deep sounds like a bassdrumany funky tuba out there?if rufus harley can rock the bagpipes, someones gotta have some tuba raer groove

Comments

• Raphael Saadiq's "Still Ray" has a killer tuba line.

Or is that a sousaphone?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Red Beans and Rice by "Spare Ribs" Ray Draper

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    The Roots come close - It's a Sousaphone, I believe.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    ya'll holla - ricky b

2nd line jump - 2 blakk

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    couldn't call it funk, exactly, but B.B. King's L.A. Midnight and Taj Mahal's The Real Thing albums have tubas for DAYS

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    am i mistaken or is the tuba kinda like the poor mans french horn?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

I cant f*cking stand the french horn, goddawful piece of brass, at least the tuba can hit some notes that you can feel...the French horn is just this bland "haaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww"

• am i mistaken or is the tuba kinda like the poor mans french horn?

Mistaken

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    couldn't call it funk, exactly, but B.B. King's L.A. Midnight and Taj Mahal's The Real Thing albums have tubas for DAYS

Yeap.

Howard Johnson was the tuba player that showed up on lots of records, jazz, blues, pop in the late 70s.

He has at least one solo record, but I don't recall listening to it.

Freebo plays tuba on Bonnie Raitt's first lp, maybe the second too.

I went to hear a friend play in the youth symphony a while back, and they had a contrabass clarinet. Killing it.

I meant to say, the funkyest tubas are on NOLA brass band records. First funky one I know is the Olympia Brass Band from the mid 80s. Rebirth had a record out a few years later. Before that you get less funky stuff and more versions of Saints.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Coolhands got the tuba heat in the form of a rare, Power Of Zeus-meets-Tuba-brakes form. Hotter than a Snuggie in August!

Hit em with a sip D!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I meant to say, the funkyest tubas are on NOLA brass band records. First funky one I know is the Olympia Brass Band from the mid 80s. Rebirth had a record out a few years later. Before that you get less funky stuff and more versions of Saints.

Not sure when it came out, but recorded in 1974...

Then there's always Big Chief.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Raphael Saadiq's "Still Ray" has a killer tuba line.

Or is that a sousaphone?

listening to this yesterday made this thread question come to mind

• bsuwolfbsuwolf 83 Posts
    Is there a tuba somewhere in New Hope's "Godofallofus"?

And Second Line by Stop Inc.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Joe Daley

More out than funky, but good.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

I cant f*cking stand the french horn, goddawful piece of brass, at least the tuba can hit some notes that you can feel...the French horn is just this bland "haaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww"

It definitely does not work in some settings. But there are some really good jazz records with French Horn. Usually Julius Watkins. Also, if if you are inclined to so-called 3rd stream jazz there's John Graas and some others.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    In my neighborhood, when I hear a car radiating devastating bass, a solid sixty percent of the time the source will reveal itself to be some tuba-heavy norte??o chit.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Also, "Shallow Water Oh Mama" is my number-one tuba shit.

Also also, James Reese's "Summertime" (Greenville, SC, holler) is French-horn-led and really good.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I ride for the tuba. Its like a tuned fart.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    In my neighborhood, when I hear a car radiating devastating bass, a solid sixty percent of the time the source will reveal itself to be some tuba-heavy norte??o chit.

Haha. Logan Square-related? Yeah, those dudes got the boomin' systems.

• I meant to say, the funkyest tubas are on NOLA brass band records. First funky one I know is the Olympia Brass Band from the mid 80s. Rebirth had a record out a few years later. Before that you get less funky stuff and more versions of Saints.

there's also that french market jazz band lp on flying dutchman that has that funky version of bongalusa strut.

Not sure when it came out, but recorded in 1974...

Thats the one.
    I bought it in the mid 80s in a chain record store.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I'd be surprised if there wasn't.

How does one tell the diff b/t a tuba and sousaphone though?

I'd be surprised if there wasn't.

How does one tell the diff b/t a tuba and sousaphone though?

You would have to be crazy familiar.

My guess is, since the sousa is smaller it is pitched higher.

There are differently pitched tubas too.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

I ride for this one.

ooooh, that looks hot.

ok, next question is, is it hard to play a tuba?
    honestly, im talking about those real big dog ones. do you need crazy lung capacity for that? does it get crazy heavy if you are in a marching band swinging that shit around?
    who has played one before?

thats a big dog dude with the tuba. and thats a big ass tuba too. i saw the roots last year and they had a big one too (pasue bitches)

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    I tried once. For me the hard part was getting the embouchure right because the mouthpiece is f*cking enormous compared to a trumpet.