cookie jar

ambassadorambassador 4 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
my brother gave me a poorly annotated mix a while back culled from dubious sources, but one of the songs on their was something called "cookie jar". Upon researching this jam I found that it was written by Clarence "Fuzzy" Haskins and recorded by Fuzzy for his 1976 album "A Whole Nother Thang" as well as by Parlet. My issue is that I always thought the version from the CD was Fuzzy's but I finally landed his 1976 LP and it's a different version . . . the version I'm looking for is slower and has a monologue at the beginning where the dude says he's just moved into a new apartment and he's got no furntiture, all he's got is a cookie jar . . .anyone know anything about this?peace - allen

Comments

• I know what you're talking about, it was on a uk import Westbound/Eastbound compilation, but I can't remember what it was called. That version is awesome, and I remember reading in the liner notes that it was previously unreleased.. so I don't think you'll be finding it on vinyl. There was also a great Ohio Players cover of a Rolling Stones track, I think? If I can find it I'll post up the track you're looking for.

• yo, thanks secret chimp. i'll keep my eyes out for that comp. I really dig that version of Cookie Jar.

peace, allen

• I can't for the life of me find that CD, sorry man. I hope I didn't lose it..

• The Westbound sampler in which the alternate and likely much earlier-recorded version of Cookie Jar resides is called 'A Sweet Taste Of Westbound'.

The non-LP Cookie Jar ya'll be chatting about is effortlessly up there in my all time top 10 P-Funk related tracks. It's too good.

A version I'd like to hear is the one Prince apparently recorded.

On a related note that 'U.S. Music With Funkadelic' LP that's just come out here in the UK kills it, even if only a couple of tracks have never before seen the light of day.