Deathbed confession backfires

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7959155.stm A US man who thought he was dying and confessed to having killed a neighbour in 1977 has been charged with murder after making a recovery, US media say.James Brewer could now face the death penalty[/b] over the unsolved killing in Tennessee 32 years ago, reports say.Convinced he was dying after a stroke, Mr Brewer reportedly admitted to police he shot dead 20-year-old Jimmy Carroll.The 58-year-old, who had fled Tennessee after the killing, was arrested after his condition improved, reports say."He wanted to cleanse his soul, because he thought he was going to the great beyond," said police detective Tony Grasso, who interviewed Mr Brewer in an Oklahoma hospital, The Oklahoman website reported.Mr Brewer had reportedly moved to Oklahoma from Tennessee after jumping bail after he was originally arrested and charged with Mr Carroll's murder in 1977.The former factory worker changed his name to Michael Anderson and settled down with his wife, Dorothy, in the town of Shawnee.The couple became active members of the local church, where Mrs Brewer established a Bible study group, reports say.After suffering a stroke, Mr Brewer called police to his hospital bedside earlier this month, where he reportedly made the confession.Detectives said Mr Brewer had admitted killing Mr Carroll, who he believed had been trying to seduce his wife.However, Mr Brewer survived the illness and surrendered to authorities in his former home town of Hohenwald, Tennessee, after they were notified by the Oklahoma police. --------------------------------BA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAThat is f*ckin classic, this muppet could now face the death penalty: how ironic is that!

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I wonder what he will confess before they fry him. Is that what they do in TN? Maybe they still hang people down there. Either way great story.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    mr.brewer, youve made a full recovery.
    doh!!!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I wonder what he will confess before they fry him. Is that what they do in TN? Maybe they still hang people down there.

we have lethal injection.

naw we stopped hanging people a long time ago, around a while back we stopped tar and feather'n with a shotgun blast to the chest from a toothless old man in overalls...

I wonder what he will confess before they fry him. Is that what they do in TN? Maybe they still hang people down there.

naw we stopped hanging people a long time ago, around a while back we stopped tar and feather'n with a shotgun blast to the chest from a toothless old man in overalls...

I don't know for sure which state it was, but a while back I remember hearing that a dude was able to request that he be hung even though the state had lethal injection. They hung his ass. I thought it was TN, but I could be wrong.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

I don't know for sure which state it was, but a while back I remember hearing that a dude was able to request that he be hung even though the state had lethal injection. They hung his ass. I thought it was TN, but I could be wrong.

Now in the 90s in TN, the condemned had a choice between the chair and lethal injection...

Now in the 90s in TN, the condemned had a choice between the chair and lethal injection...

Thats a pretty tough choice.

• Thats a pretty tough choice.

I think I'd rather have the injection than sizzle myself into a nice rash of bacon.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Anybody remember a similar skit on MTV's Lyricist Lounge show back in the day? It was a plane crash skit where everybody started confesstyling their deepest secrets and then the pilot saved the plane and it became "mad awkward, yo."

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

this story reminds me of that movie "the apostle" except for the deathbed confession. great movie, btw.

• That would be Delaware my friend. In 1996.

or neck

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    That would be Delaware my friend. In 1996.

or neck

Utah more recently.

That would be Delaware my friend. In 1996.

or neck

Utah more recently.

Apparently, Utah no longer does hangings. But they still have a firing squad.

You can get Hung in New Hampshire and Washington.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/methods-execution

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7959155.stm
    The couple became active members of the local church, where Mrs Brewer established a Bible study group, reports say.

I'm guessing this is, at least in part, a Christian thing.
    Confessing sins right before death gives you a clean slate.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    Apparently, Utah no longer does hangings. But they still have a firing squad.

that's my choice. with a blindfold and a cigarette in my mouth.
    i make this look good.

• naw we stopped hanging people a long time ago, around a while back we stopped tar and feather'n with a shotgun blast to the chest from a toothless old man in overalls...
    That's a shame.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Note to self: When making a deathbed confession of murder, make sure to write it down and include with will to be read AFTER my death.

... and knowing is half the battle.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Dude's lawyer will claim health related duress or stroke fueled dementia and it will go away.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Note to self: When making a deathbed confession of murder, make sure to write it down and include with will to be read AFTER my death.

... and knowing is half the battle.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    but that wont get you into heaven.
    you gotta now when to hold em and when to fold em.
    play it wrong...straight to hell boy

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    but that wont get you into heaven.
    you gotta now when to hold em and when to fold em.
    play it wrong...straight to hell boy

Yeah I guess if you want to be stuck for eternity with a bunch of old church ladies.

I'm going wherever Paris Hilton is going. That's the after-death club I want to be at.