The Pharcyde vs. A Tribe Called Quest

ReedReed 97 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Both pretty groundbreaking groups.I'm gonna have to go with The Pharcyde, there music was just more funner and exciting then Tribe. The samples they chose were perfect and the rhymes were always on point. Bizarre Ride easily tops any tribe album in my opinionWhich one do yall prefer?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Who do you love more, Mom or Pop?

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I hate that rap crap.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    In what? Wrestling? Thumb Wars? Spelling Bee?

Move on, nothing to see here...

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    Both pretty groundbreaking groups.
    I'm gonna have to go with The Pharcyde, there music was just more funner and exciting then Tribe. The samples they chose were perfect and the rhymes were always on point. Bizarre Ride easily tops any tribe album in my opinion

Which one do yall prefer?

• ReedReed 97 Posts
    Alright i get it, it's a boring redundant thread. both groups are much too talked about when we could be discussing which Milt Jackson record is the best. Just saying....

Alright i get it, it's a boring redundant thread. both groups are much too talked about when we could be discussing which Milt Jackson record is the best. Just saying....

If you'd bothered to read SS you'd realize that you're more likely to read a thread on elbows than music

• ReedReed 97 Posts
    Yeah, that's what i'm saying. I see more threads about celebrity scandals on here then music

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Well, OK, taking the thread as what it is, I still have to ask, are you kidding?

Tribe >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pharcyde

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Yeah, that's what i'm saying. I see more threads about celebrity scandals on here then music

one can read this both ways
    I see more threads about celebrity scandals on here, then music

or
    I see more threads about celebrity scandals on here than[/b] music

• ReedReed 97 Posts
    Well, OK, taking the thread as what it is, I still have to ask, are you kidding?

Absolutely not. Pharcyde is just an overall better group
    Fatlip > Q-Tip's baby voice

• Double_BDouble_B 169 Posts

it's not even a contest really... pharcyde just doesn't have as many great songs as tribe. i don't really agree with you about the voice either, but i dont think that really matters.

Hey Reed,

1) Which ATCQ album do you place as thier best.
    2) Is your favorite the consensus fav.

3) Then make a track for track comparison.

b/w

Low End Theory vs. Midnight Marauders

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts

I love the first Pharcyde album and think the production is amazing, but they are hardly an ovreall better group. One amazing album does not trump two of the best in the genre (midnight, low end). Bizarre Ryde is great, but hardly makes them a better overall group. They fell apart quickly after that album and aren't really even comparable to Tribe.

A Tribe/De La battle makes sense, but Tribe/Pharcyde isn't much of an argument. I know it's all opinion, but I think majority will be against you.

For many years Pharcyde and ATCQ have blessed us with beautiful rapmusic, gave us albums that still sound fresh and can be enjoyed from beginning to end and all this in a world torturing us with an overwhelming output of plain shitmusic.
    It's just sooooo unnecessary to start discussing who's better. It's not a given fact that there always has to be a solitary winner on top of everything. Variety is the key.

I just give you two examples of songs that were No.1 in the german charts in the recent years. Perhaps you can understand then why I'm not feeling the need to oppose two of my alltime favorite rapgroups.

• MeepMeep 320 Posts

It's just sooooo unnecessary to start discussing who's better. It's not a given fact that there always has to be a solitary winner on top of everything.

Bullshit.

This type of discussion is the heart & soul of music critique.

It exposes dudes tastes in music and creates pantheons/canons.

"there both good, why compare" is

Pharcyde are clearly influenced by the Native Toungue sound.

• Well, OK, taking the thread as what it is, I still have to ask, are you kidding?

This is an insupportable statement.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

It's just sooooo unnecessary to start discussing who's better. It's not a given fact that there always has to be a solitary winner on top of everything.

Bullshit.

This type of discussion is the heart & soul of music critique.

It exposes dudes tastes in music and creates pantheons/canons.

"there both good, why compare" is

Pharcyde are clearly influenced by the Native Toungue sound.

yes, no discussion or critique of music without involvement and pure subjectivity. But I disagree on the necessity of these forced and completely artificial antagonisms.

But I disagree on the necessity of these forced and completely artificial antagonisms.

Competition is at the core of Hip Hop.

Competition is at the core of Hip Hop.

Then apparenty I'm too liberal to be Hip Hop.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

Then apparenty I'm too liberal to be Hip Hop.

In case of emergency, break dance

• debardebar 215 Posts

I love the first Pharcyde album and think the production is amazing, but they are hardly an ovreall better group. One amazing album does not trump two of the best in the genre (midnight, low end). Bizarre Ryde is great, but hardly makes them a better overall group. They fell apart quickly after that album and aren't really even comparable to Tribe.

A Tribe/De La battle makes sense, but Tribe/Pharcyde isn't much of an argument. I know it's all opinion, but I think majority will be against you.

While I agree with you on the Tribe>Pharcyde point, I have to defend Labcabincalifornia. I play that shit as much as any of Tribe's or Pharcyde's albums. But yeah, overall, Pharcyde's catalog ain't seeing Tribe's.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I'm just going to go ahead and favorite this thread now.. I can tell its going to be a winner.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

• Thats how we do

• ThermosThermos 307 Posts

Dood, q-tip has one of the most legendary voices in rap. Please take your face off.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    ATCQ all day every day until the cows come home. I love some Pharcyde but overall ATCQ coast to victory in this one.