Rep your favorite Eddie Bo production

2»

Comments

• For the love of Eddie, can we all now finally agree that an exhaustive Bocage datafile should be compiled in short order?

I think this is as close as anyone has gotten so far, though there are titles/scans missing for sure.

G.O.A.T.

• Marilyn Barbarin on Bo-Sound is a great two-sider

Reborn is massive of course, but the flip is real nice ballad

Absolutely. That one is also one of the hardest to find Eddie Bo productions too, and my favorite green label Bo-Sound 45. I don't know how many green ones there are - most of his records on Bo-Sound (that I've seen) were red label. It's one of the records I ask about all the time when I'm in New Orleans, but no one ever has it. There was some information about Marilyn Barbarin along the lines of "Where Are They Now" that seems to have disappeared, but I did come across some writing that mentions Barbarin's lesser known records. Almost nothing on "Reborn", though. Barbarin is still around, and her family is well known in NOLA.

http://indangerousrhythm.blogspot.com/2007/09/marlilyn-barbarian.html

Am I missing something or is Reborn one of three green label bo sounds?

reborn- Marilyn Barbarin
    disco party 1&2 - Eddie
    fingers on the funk - Eddie

• Oh, and though I got into him through the fonk, my favorite track will probably always be "Let our love begin"

• Favourite has to be "Next Ball Game"

ps - Is there another track with even more off-the-scale insane James Black drums? I would genuinly love to hear it.

That's one of my favorites, too. Some of the sickest drums I've ever heard. There are some similarities between the drums on "Hook & Sling" and the drums on "We're Doing It (The Thang)". James Black is just proof Eddie Bo had an amazing knack for finding the greatest talent.

Not really a fan of MySpace, but be sure to check out myspace.com/jamesblackdrummer

That's actually a good resource for all the James Black/Eddie Bo aficionados. He did a lot of work in the 60s with Yusef Lateef. His jazz history is equally as deep as his funk history. The Marsalis family did a tribute to Black when they played a concert consisting of only Black compositions.

JAMES BLACK DISCOGRAPHY - FUNK / R & B)

1960s - (Fats Domino sessions - exact tracks unclear)
    1960s - (Johnny Adams sessions - exact tracks unclear)
    1960s - (Dixie Cup sessions - exact tracks unclear)
    1960s - (Dave Bartholomew sessions - exact tracks unclear)
    1967 - Eddie Bo & Inez Cheatham - Lover & A Friend
    1967 - Hooper, Mary Jane & Richie Matta - Stolen Moments
    1968 - Roy Ward - Horse With A Freeze
    1968 - Mary Jane Hooper - I've Got Reasons / Teach Me
    1968 - Mary Jane Hooper - I've Got What You Need
    1969 - Inell Young - The Next Ball Game
    1969 - Betty Harris - There's A Break In The Road
    1969 - Roy Ward - Horse With A Freeze
    1969 - Eddie Bo & The Soul Finders - We're Doin' It (Thang)
    1969 - Eddie Bo - If It's Good To You (It's Good For You)
    1969 - Eddie Bo - Hook And Sling / Hook And Sling pt2
    1970 - Eddie Bo - Check Your Bucket / Check Your Bucket pt2
    1970 - Lee Dorsey - Riverboat [on Yes We Can Can LP]
    1970 - Eddie Bo & The Soulfinders - Showdown
    1971 - The Explosions - Hip Drop
    1971 - Sonny Jones - Sissy Walk
    1973 - Chuck Carbo - Can I Be Your Squeeze
    1973 - David Robinson - I'm A Carpenter

• 1968 - Mary Jane Hooper - I've Got What You Need

Which one of y'all mofo's won this last month? That makes two known? Other copies?

b/w

Was "Lighten Up" - Sonny Jones on Scram ever actually pressed up?
    Who has a copy?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Oh, and though I got into him through the fonk, my favorite track will probably always be "Let our love begin"

Strangely enough, I got into him the other way around, through his earlier R&B things. I mentioned earlier about how the "Fare Thee Well" 45 on Chess was the first record of his I ever found. Not long after this, Rounder released a compilation of his early sixties sides, Check Mr. Popeye, that anthologized his pre-funk singles on the Ric label (the title track was later leased to Swan).

The funny part is, during this period I also found the Curley Moore & the Kool Ones single (also at a thrift store). Even though Eddie Bo is namechecked on "Shelley's Rubber Band" (and he's credited as producer, IIRC), I had no idea that Eddie himself may have been playing on the record.

• Oh, and though I got into him through the fonk, my favorite track will probably always be "Let our love begin"

Strangely enough, I got into him the other way around, through his earlier R&B things. I mentioned earlier about how the "Fare Thee Well" 45 on Chess was the first record of his I ever found. Not long after this, Rounder released a compilation of his early sixties sides, Check Mr. Popeye, that anthologized his pre-funk singles on the Ric label (the title track was later leased to Swan).

The funny part is, during this period I also found the Curley Moore & the Kool Ones single (also at a thrift store). Even though Eddie Bo is namechecked on "Shelley's Rubber Band" (and he's credited as producer, IIRC), I had no idea that Eddie himself may have been playing on the record.

Curly Moore & the Kool Ones was Bo and his band (with the vocal intro by Curly Moore). "Shelley" was Shelley Pope, a local DJ who appears to have been taking more than a taste of Bo's publishing (he's also credited as having written 'Hey Mama Here Comes the Preacher' by Doug Anderson). I've always wondered what Bo's financial situation was back then because his 45s are full of people either getting credit for his work including Traci Borges (another label/studio owner) taking writing and production credit for 'Rubber Band Pts 1&2', and Wally Roker (owner of Canyon Records) suddenly getting publishing on 'Can I Be Your Squeeze' when it got national distribution on his label. Bo also wrote under a couple of pseudonyms, much like Allen Toussaint writing as 'Naomi Neville'.