nico gomez

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
are his other records like Ritual?was he a white dude from Belgium?is he Nico or Nicos?chakachas was him too? is there a history/bio/interview anywhere?Ritual is retarded

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    3-2: I don't know if there's anything quite as good as "Ritual" but I also haven't heard EVERY single Gomez/Chakachas LP out there to compare it too. Certainly, there are some pretty solid Chakachas albums in the same vein: that Chicken Curry album, The Snake...and I know folks you really dig that Yamasuki album which is supposedly another Gomez project.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Ritual is retarded

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    3-2: I don't know if there's anything quite as good as "Ritual" but I also haven't heard EVERY single Gomez/Chakachas LP out there to compare it too. Certainly, there are some pretty solid Chakachas albums in the same vein: that Chicken Curry album, The Snake...and I know folks you really dig that Yamasuki album which is supposedly another Gomez project.

gottamm! that too! dude had involvement!!
    el chicles also??!

isnt this worth some waxpo attention? i think they pretty much exhausted the CTI catalog, right?

• 3-2: I don't know if there's anything quite as good as "Ritual" but I also haven't heard EVERY single Gomez/Chakachas LP out there to compare it too. Certainly, there are some pretty solid Chakachas albums in the same vein: that Chicken Curry album, The Snake...and I know folks you really dig that Yamasuki album which is supposedly another Gomez project.

el chicles also??!

isnt this worth some waxpo attention? i think they pretty much exhausted the CTI catalog, right?

They don't really care about european stuff..

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

el chicles also??!

They don't really care about european stuff..

sad, as Nico Gomez and Eddie Grant are the two artists most over due for a WaxPo feature...

maybe they should do a Euro issue... who else? Jean Claude Vannier? Alain Goraguer? Barrabas or Titanic? Moroder?

• sooooooo not true! understand that when articles that make the mag are submitted from writers not wax po giving a story to a writer and then the writer comes up with the piece. there was a planned marc moulin piece before he passed but I don't think the writer was able to finish or maybe it wasn't good...not sure.

amir

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    found this recently, not the best nico gomez, a bit too early maybe, definately way too cheesy, but the cover... daaaanm!

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    There are loads of Nico Gomez-related comps out here which are usually 90% boring crap with a ritual track spliced in every now and then (usually Cuba Libre).

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    overrated tepid lounge turd

• sooooooo not true! understand that when articles that make the mag are submitted from writers not wax po giving a story to a writer and then the writer comes up with the piece. there was a planned marc moulin piece before he passed but I don't think the writer was able to finish or maybe it wasn't good...not sure.

amir

I proposed some euros stuff to Wax Po and the only stuff there were interested in was Lafayette Afro Rock Band producer: A band from France... that is american!

I think the main problem with European artist is Wax po sometimes prefer to do A paper about famous or well known artists in USA instead of trying more obscure artists, who sometimes have more interesting or funny things to say.

With other words: great artist are not doing necessarily great interview.

That said no diss here, I wrote that article about Jaubert, and people from wax po were very friendly and pro, I understand the different commercial issues of a magazine, and I like the mag a lot anyway.

• An Euro and an Africa issue of Wax Po is needed!

Peace,

Dress

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Yep.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    whats that?

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

Yep.

Stick to the footy thread.

Ritual is a monster!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Yep.

Ritual is a monster!

Ha ha.

IMO it's a very tepid monster.

Yep.

Ritual is a monster!

Ha ha.

Do you have a pulse? Maybe you should fall back and move to the My Little Pony forum.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Ritual is a great record but I'm over it. Such is life.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Yep.

Ritual is a monster!

Ha ha.

Do you have a pulse? Maybe you should fall back and move to the My Little Pony forum.

Lets not get all asshurt about it.

It is ok for grownups to have differing opinions on something without throwing the toys out of the pram.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

Yep.

Ritual is a monster!

Ha ha.

It is ok for grownups to have differing opinions on something without throwing the toys out of the pram.

I have to agree. Never thought there was anything that special about this record.

Yep.

Ritual is a monster!

Ha ha.

Haha. I'm bored at the airport and you were an easy target.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    It's a great 3 to 4 track lp, but for the most part..I got rid of the lp and kept the 7in from the "Ritual" release.. My favorite track from the record, anyways..I'm $150.00 richer from it and have no regrets!

Nico Gomez was a son of a peasant farmer who brewed potato wine.

Kidding.

• MeepMeep 320 Posts

Nico Gomez was a son of a peasant farmer who brewed potato wine.

little known fact: Nico??s son is singer Raymond van het Groenewoud, who??s pretty famous in Belgium and the Netherlands.

Carry on....

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I don't know if the record is worth what it's worth but Lupita has one of the illest breakdowns ever.

• Anything good on here?

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Ritual is my shit! I scored my Ritual copy out of my aunties stash years ago, cus of the cover...then I heard it and was like 'im keeping this one'...
    i didnt know the 'status' the record had (or its price) until Sheep mentioned it to me once.... ive always loved the sound of that LP...its almost like a Bomb Squad vibe to it...

Its got everything I like...dirty basslines, funky tracks, latin rhythems, hard kicks and snares, catchy hooks... but thats my personal taste,

I have had dudes play me other LPs that are supposedly THE SHIT bu I dont dig the genre so the shit doesnt do anything for me. That said... all you fellas who hate Ritual, feel free to send me your copies....

I did pick up a crappy Nico produced LP- Span-Disco (or something like that)... 79ish NY disco salsa but very very weak...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I like his version of "Aquarela Do Brasil"...the way the vocals are arranged is out there, borders on psych...its not per se, but a very spacey, pretty version...

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Maaaan, you folls need to come to Amsterdam, there's a mint ritual in every bin.

Really though, Amsterdams finest record store can hook you up

I found this a couple weeks back for 1 euro.