A.I.G. Bonuses (Hearing on Now)

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
yeah, obviously this has nothing to do with records but this shit is fascinating...follow the link to watch the live hearing:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/18/aigs-liddy-testifies-on-c_n_176235.html

Comments

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    yeah, obviously this has nothing to do with records

BAN.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Christopher Dodd effed up.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Yeah, Dodd ain't looking good in any of this, but is there something specific today that I missed?

Fishmongerfunk, thanks for posting this, definitely interesting. Not helping me get stuff done today tho...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I pisses me off to hear everyone from Dodd to McConnell to Geitner to Obama say they are outraged when none of them have even suggested (much less mandated) that the bonuses not be paid.

It's enough to make me take Alan Jones seriously.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    These bonuses were contractual obligations long before the gov't gave them a dime, if they didn't like it they should have said something then. This "outrage" is just BS
    for show.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    These bonuses were contractual obligations long before the gov't gave them a dime, if they didn't like it they should have said something then. This "outrage" is just BS
    for show.

The bail-out as pennd by the Senate excluded any post-2008 bonus agreements. Dodd and his committee took it behind closed doors and removed that part of the bill changing it to post-Feb '09.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    for show.

The bail-out as pennd by the Senate excluded any post-2008 bonus agreements. Dodd and his committee took it behind closed doors and removed that part of the bill changing it to post-Feb '09.

Pffft. Just a bunch of words on paper. Who'll know?

It is interesting to watch the circus unfold about this small drop in the bucket when the general public has no idea where the HUNDREDS of millions/billions/whatever-it-is-up-to that AIG has taken so far has really gone. These hearings do seem to be a distraction from the bigger problem.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    These hearings do seem to be a distraction from the bigger problem.

that the people now in control don't know what the F*ck they're doing.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Tax rate on bonus 90%. Think it will happen?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Liddy asked employees who received bonuses of $100,000 or more to return half or more, and some have complied. As for the rest of it, we'll see.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

my understanding is that it's already near 50% at all income levels, which in the US is a pretty hefty bite. I did hear something about taxing at a higher rate, but not sure if that's just for these AIG recipients or across the board in the US.

Instead of bonuses, AIG should have spent some of this money on a PR firm, as they have shown their ass over and over again in these past few months. 7/10 odds that next week they are exposed for eating Mormon babies in some underground laboratory.

interesting article in the WSJ today about executive bonus programs this year. It seems like the boards across all industries just moved the goal posts this year for a lot of persons. whereas earnings or equity were the key factors in past years to be awarded a bonus, now something like debt payments became the key factor this year. Reeks of cherry picking, but such is life at most large companies.

These hearings do seem to be a distraction from the bigger problem.

that the people now in control don't know what the F*ck they're doing.

Yeah, cuz the ones before them did such a bang-up job! Things were only going over the cliff, now we are dealing with the wreckage. How to fix a completely totaled economy may well be beyond the scope of those now in charge, but I am sure the guys who got it that way have some bright ideas, right?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Edit: I'm an idiot...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    AIG doesn't lend money... they're an insurance company.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    AIG stock is up 237% over the last 4 days of outrage. why?

3/12/09 $0.41
    3/13/09 $0.50
    3/16/09 $0.83
    3/17/09 $0.96
    3/18/09 $1.38 =FOUR DAYS 237%

my understanding is that it's already near 50% at all income levels

• These hearings do seem to be a distraction from the bigger problem.

[2000-2008]that the people now in control don't know what the F*ck they're doing.[/2000-2008][/b]

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

The house just passed the bill that will put a 90% tax on said bonus.

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    even with bailout money, aig recently tried to up the premium for my business' insurance almost 200%. it was so bad we had to cash out and now they're giving their execs bonuses? i want to have an executive contract like that fasho!

even with bailout money, aig recently tried to up the premium for my business' insurance almost 200%. it was so bad we had to cash out and now they're giving their execs bonuses? i want to have an executive contract like that fasho!

Business needs to take their accounts to better insurers. Hopefully that is already happening.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    This isn't a Democrat versus Republican issue. Both parties are equally complicit in this shit.

• DescryDescry 229 Posts

Business needs to take their accounts to better insurers. Hopefully that is already happening.

truth spoken.

we just split and feel like a huge burden has been lifted off of our shoulders.

This isn't a Democrat versus Republican issue. Both parties are equally complicit in this shit.

True That.

• Christopher Dodd effed up.

Apparently he had a severe case of 24-hour amnesia because the first day Dana Bash grilled him he didn't know about the February 11th loophole clause. The very next day, he said he did authorize the clause, falling back on the "I went back and checked" excuse.