Really trippy Japanese Marva Whitney tribute

SoulpowerSoulpower 204 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
I always find it strange when people do tributes to artists who are still alive. This one is especially trippy! There's this Japanese James Brown fan who has recreated the James Brown show and now has included a female vocalist called Woddy who imitates Marva. They even re-tailored some of Marva's original stage outfits and imitated some film footage. Highly entertaining!!The imitation goes as far as to recreate original video footage.Marva in Boston in 1968, right after MLK's assassination:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRub5MNc8EUImitation:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0SisuT0lMM

Comments

• While their enthusiasm is admirable, maybe the Japanese could cool it with the afro wigs and such??

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    While their enthusiasm is admirable, maybe the Japanese could cool it with the afro wigs and such??

Inevitable

• SoulpowerSoulpower 204 Posts
    While their enthusiasm is admirable, maybe the Japanese could cool it with the afro wigs and such??

Afro wigs' ain't all. The dude who imitates James Brown wears dark brown make-up, as if he was starring in a minstrel show. Dressed like that, he went backstage at Booty's James Brown Tribute at Fuji Rock last summer .. to the amusement of the musicians.

Oh, and more.

Original:

Fake:

• While their enthusiasm is admirable, maybe the Japanese could cool it with the afro wigs and such??

Inevitable

Really? That and the fact that they're still working blackface over there?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    First the Germans with their Obama fingers. And now this.

Shame on you, Johnny Foreigner!

Don't mess with Obama fingers. They come with Curry sauce, that makes it alright.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Then there's stuff like this which always seems "eh"

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Inevitable

It's a bad look though the meaning of Blackface there is removed from its historical connotations here so it's not that they're deliberately trying to reference the legacy of minstrelsy (even if they, of course, still manage to do so). I don't cut them a pass for it, but they're not trying to be Ted Danson either. They're just, literally, ignorant as to what blackface connotes.

Inevitable

It's a bad look though the meaning of Blackface there is removed from its historical connotations here so it's not that they're deliberately trying to reference the legacy of minstrelsy (even if they, of course, still manage to do so). I don't cut them a pass for it, but they're not trying to be Ted Danson either. They're just, literally, ignorant as to what blackface connotes.

I don't know.... I took this pic in a Tokyo costume shop two weeks ago:

What I didn't take pics of were the many mammy and sambo figurines I saw in displays and at flea markets. But I did get a pic of this display at a hipster clothing store in Kyoto:

They love Barry O (yes, that's his acceptance speech being played on loop).

Hogg: I'm not saying they don't fetishize Blackness - they absolutely do. And it is totally problematic. It's just not identical to how the same symbolism works in the US though.

^^ I think it's a case by case situation. Marva Whitney, of course, is thrilled about this tribute and she looks beyond the fetishism. These guys put a lot of time, effort and money into this imitation, and she appreciates that. Who wouldn't?

^^ I think it's a case by case situation. Marva Whitney, of course, is thrilled about this tribute and she looks beyond the fetishism. These guys put a lot of time, effort and money into this imitation, and she appreciates that. Who wouldn't?

I wouldn't want someone taping their eyelids and yellowing their skin to "honor" me.

But maybe that's just me.

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    On the subject, barely, this shit is disturbing

What? You don't think Louis Armstrong would "appreciate" that?

Oof - not only is the blackface bad there, but the pantomiming is really, really, really a terrible look.

I rescind my previous attempts at nuance. Some one just needs to tell these folks: "please. stop."

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    On the subject, barely, this shit is disturbing
    oh wow.....damn

What? You don't think Louis Armstrong would "appreciate" that?

Oof - not only is the blackface bad there, but the pantomiming is really, really, really a terrible look.

I rescind my previous attempts at nuance. Some one just needs to tell these folks: "please. stop."

Well, yeah, blackfacing is where I'd draw the line, too. I don't mind Afros, and the Marva Whitney imitator didn't paint her face (at least it doesn't look like that). The dude who runs her band is another story, tho'. He really does the minstrel .. and the music is not all that either ..

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    and the music is not all that either ..

It really does sounds like a Lupin soundtrack with really bad singing on it.

yeah that .. I was tryin' to be polite .. lol.. and if they want everything to look so authentic, then they should at least make their JB match the Marva Whitney era and not the Payback era.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

Yeah I think the most egregious offense here is that this chick can't sing at all. Wow.

Yeah I think the most egregious offense here is that this chick can't sing at all. Wow.

Waddup Marco!

yeah, the show is missing the musical point of it all. they are too busy fakin' the look. But the Marva look is excellent. they even replicated one of her better known stage outfits. In the U.S it takes a lot of balls to do that, but I think these guys just don't know any better. The crazy thing is, they are actually being booked!!

• That real schitt b/w check out those back up dancers!

That real schitt b/w check out those back up dancers!

No doubt, it doesn't get any better than that.

• ageage 1,131 Posts

yo..that is what I'm saying right there!!!Shit is raw & the other is watered as all hell like lupin and the jets(don't hate), no flavor what so ever!

yo..that is what I'm saying right there!!!Shit is raw & the other is watered as all hell like lupin and the jets(don't hate), no flavor what so ever!

That's the problem with many Japanese artists. Lots of imitation, but little feeling. And many tend to overdo it. But I still think the Marva Whitney imitator is extremely funny, even though the music sucks. Maybe it's because Marva is such an usual pick ..

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    I can see that they love it..they really love Western Culture there quite a bit...well..maybe a little too much, but damn.

It's also a language barrier and just comprehension. I've met allot of Japanese cats that frown on it that are from Japan. But, this is a small increment of people(that are in the know) that frown(well from what I've been told).Always too much emphasis on looks..never really hard on the playing.

But, there are some pretty cool hardcore outfits from Japan I must say. Anyways, my 2 cents!

I'd love to see the whole show. There are some related clips on YouTube that seem to indicate that the entire James Brown Revue was on the Mike Douglas Show, with performances by James, Marva and the JBs, and - this is the kicker - an instrumental take on 'Funky Drummer' with Douglas, Marva, Gwen Verdon and Cesar Romero doing the funky chicken.

I'd love to see the whole show. There are some related clips on YouTube that seem to indicate that the entire James Brown Revue was on the Mike Douglas Show, with performances by James, Marva and the JBs, and - this is the kicker - an instrumental take on 'Funky Drummer' with Douglas, Marva, Gwen Verdon and Cesar Romero doing the funky chicken.

I got the complete material on DVD. I'd have to think hard to remember how many times JB was on Michael Douglass. I also got footage from Brown's various appearances on the David Frost show (in the UK), including Marva and Vicki Anderson. That shit is dope!

Are you sure about "Funky Drummer" though? I don't have that .. and to my knowledge, they never performed it again after recording it.

Interesting. This clip isn't on my compilation. Clyde Stubblefield always stated that he never played "Funky Drummer" again after it was recorded ... and it looks like he's right. This is Jab'O Starks on drums.

Thanks.