Did X-Clan ever make better songs than these?

2»

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    THe problem, for me, with the 2nd album were the beats were so recycled from shit you would have heard 1-2 years before. Especially at a time when many of their peers were trying to come up with new sounds, it felt like X-Clan was a few steps behind and still looping up "Atomic Dog" or some shit.

That said, the album still had joints.

"Cosmic Ark" is badass.
    Freaking the AWB (again) J Bros. sax and "Funky Sensation" to great effect.
    Brother J sounds amped on that track.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    They still freaked that shit.

From talking to J, that was always his outlook. He cares less about "has this beat already been used?" than "do I want to rock this beat?" He told me about how when they did "Grand Verbalizer," the AWB sample had already been used a couple times, but he felt he could freak it in a different way, which I think he did.

Cool.

I always imagined what if X-Clan came w/ a new sound/production.

Imagine some hot new producer at the time had laced them w/ track that were "theirs" as oppossed to "re-cycled" shit.

The fact that they went in the "traditional" direction works for them in terms of the "pro-cultural" approach, but ive always wondered what would the overall outcome would have been if the beats were just as "forward/creative/customized" as the image they were bringing.

U look at The Jungle Brothers - Done By The Forces Of Nature , and they were really tryin to bring that new shit.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    U look at The Jungle Brothers - Done By The Forces Of Nature , and they were really tryin to bring that new shit.

Then they made J. Beez Wit The Remedy[/b] and look what happened to them, they were on the edge of falling into Divine Styler land.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    THe problem, for me, with the 2nd album were the beats were so recycled from shit you would have heard 1-2 years before. Especially at a time when many of their peers were trying to come up with new sounds, it felt like X-Clan was a few steps behind and still looping up "Atomic Dog" or some shit.

That said, the album still had joints.

"Cosmic Ark" is badass.
    Freaking the AWB (again) J Bros. sax and "Funky Sensation" to great effect.
    Brother J sounds amped on that track.

Definitely. The drum programming on that song is great--really clipped, but really funky.

• I'll ride for the X-Clan, The Dark Sun Riders and J for all reasons posted above as well of their excellent use of the term "sissy" which needs to be used more often.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I listened to To The East Blackwards a couple of months ago and was almost embarrassed how dated it sounds. And "vainglorious" does not mean what they thought it meant.

• CONCEITCONCEIT 145 Posts

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Great album.
    Those interludes are killer especially "Justice"

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

Then they made J. Beez Wit The Remedy[/b] and look what happened to them, they were on the edge of falling into Divine Styler land.
    i ride for jbeez wit the remedy.

The first album wasnt that original in their beats.

Red, black and green loop was next level.

Could u clarify...im disconnected.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Red, black and green loop was next level.
    Could u clarify...im disconnected.

"Raise The Flag" is built around samples from

I remember when I heard that on the radio before the album came out (first single, no?). It blew my 14-year old mind then and I think it still holds up.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    i ride for jbeez wit the remedy.

same here, and both of Divine Styler's albums

and both of Divine Styler's albums

Yes

Divine Styler was supposed to be on The Jungle Bros.-If The Papes Come 12".