Did X-Clan ever make better songs than these?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    With a !

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Admittedly I ride for the Dark Sun Riders stuff, but to answer your question - nah man.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    one album and its a wrap

one album and its a wrap

I'm not mad at "Fire and Earth" from "Xodus." But yeah, I feel you.

Its a shame, but I place that first album next to ANY Black Power Era Hip Hop album.

Edutainment/It Takes A Nation../One For All/etc...

They really brought the extra-steez to the era.

While everyone else was talmbout "the corner" they were talmbout Egyptology.

Way ahead of their time thread steez.

Its a shame, but I place that first album next to ANY Black Power Era Hip Hop album.

Because Egyptology is poised to be the hot topical shit in 2010?

• I ride for the Dark Sun Riders stuff

Absolutely.. incredible album.

Ultraman where u at?

Because Egyptology is poised to be the hot topical shit in 2010?

Nah.....X-Clan were on some African/P-Funk/Mythological steez that rounded out the %5 angle which was dominant at the time.

also....Brother J went to Mary Burgtraum w/ Q-Tip & Afrika Baby Bam.

While the 2 dudes established the Native Toungues which did address Black Power issues, J, w/ X-Clan took that Black Is Black shit to a whole 'nother level...IMO.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Brother J is one of the baddest rappers of all time.

Flow for days.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Same album, but...

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    he was 19 when he recorded that album.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

verbs of power/lou courtny loop so

anybody here carlos ninos album that had a real dope dark sunrisers song on it? i had that cd (it had another reallly really dope cut) but i lost it

• make sure its the lp version of grand verbalizer.

did a show recently with bro. j...still so dope.

when x clan 1st dropped, they were all up in wendys in full gear, eating mad bacon burgers... mmmmmm herbs and fruits!!!??

damn, im posting again. gotta go gotta go......

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    The track to play on this record is

I ride for "Verbs of Power" too.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    The track to play on this record is

Yup.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Brother J is one of the most underrated[/b] rappers of all time.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Flow for days.

Yes, yes, and underrated, yes. J is that dude on the mic.

I think I like that second X-Clan album more than most folks, though. "Xodus" hits hard, "Verbal Papp" has J flowing beautifully, and "Ooh Baby" is like

THe problem, for me, with the 2nd album were the beats were so recycled from shit you would have heard 1-2 years before. Especially at a time when many of their peers were trying to come up with new sounds, it felt like X-Clan was a few steps behind and still looping up "Atomic Dog" or some shit.

That said, the album still had joints.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

H1 style="font:bold 0.8em arial;padding:0;margin:5px;">Watch more Rebel Soul videos on AOL Video/H1>

Am I the only one that played this record religiously? I still don't have it in me to part with this record.

On a unrelated[/b] note:

Proto-Charles Hamilton

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

On a unrelated[/b] note:

Proto-Charles Hamilton

how is qwest related?
    101 was the shit!!!

no one recalls the carlos nino dark sun riders song??
    heres drum riders: http://www.undergroundhiphop.com/audio/r...ge=1&InStock=No

pretty nice

how is qwest related?
    101 was the shit!!!

Because he sampled Brother J's "like this like that, like that like this" lyric in "101 Things...."

O-Dub: Yeah, that second X-Clan album was definitely on some jacking for beats shit, but I still really enjoyed it. I suppose it says something that my favorite joints on that album were the ones that weren't flagrant beat-jacks.

Also: Those Professor X albums had some great beats on them, but not even I could take an entire album of PXO rapping.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    The first album wasnt that original in their beats.

Dudes used EPMD's shit. Impeach The President,Big Beat,and Tom Tom Club. Shit was from groundbreaking in terms of beat selection. They still freaked that shit.

They still freaked that shit.

From talking to J, that was always his outlook. He cares less about "has this beat already been used?" than "do I want to rock this beat?" He told me about how when they did "Grand Verbalizer," the AWB sample had already been used a couple times, but he felt he could freak it in a different way, which I think he did.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    the AWB sample had already been used a couple times, but he felt he could freak it in a different way, which I think he did.

They sure did... "YEAH!"

Also: Those Professor X albums had some great beats on them, but not even I could take an entire album of PXO rapping.

Yeah, and when he goes from sampling "One Mint Julep" and four songs later is doing his thing over a house track... I realize that every other album had a hip house but that one was too much. I think there's one or two songs that have him actually rapping, the rest is just him in that Professor X spoken word style, or the intro and outro to every X-Clan song, but stretched out into full songs. It's an odd project from a time when people were willing to throw out anything and everything.