I hate rappers, The Rant...

funkyexamplefunkyexample 915 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
At the urging of fellow tweetster Cashless, I am turning my twitter rant into a soulstrut thread...I love rap, don't get me wrong. But in general, I hate rappers. Their egomaniacal ways grind me down to the bone. I have discussed this many times with dj friends on how we have to deal with them. Here is a growing list of GENERALITIES and reasonings behind the rant. 1. Flakey2. Egotastic3. Terrible taste in other rappers4. Lack of history in their own culture5. Don't own a mic- the main tool of their "trade"6. Grosse misperceptions on what their trade really entails7. Some of the most terrible work ethic around.8. Don't know how to hold a mic9. Don't have stage presence10.Suck11.Can't dress12.Did I mention flakey?13.Never give credit to DJ's14.Unintelligent15.Stupid16.Substance>Style17.Lack of substance18.Creatively stunting19.Drastically overhyped20.Their own biggest cheerleaders21.The opposite of humble22.The definition of ignorant23.Unmotivated24.Unstable25.Broke26.Lack responsibility27.Never help carry gear after a show28.Self-Concerned29.Misunderstand the proper use of language30.Terrible grammar31.Terrable Speling32.DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT A SIMILE AND METAPHOR ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS33.Always love terrible producers34.Think making a beat is an easy thing(see that souljah kid)35.Cockblockers- In every sense, not just chicks 36.Can't freestyle37.Can't battle38.Think they can freestyle39.Think they can battle40.Huge expectations41.Have one goal, get signed42.Don't understand how the music business works43.Have annoying songs on their myspace pageOF COURSE there are exceptions to the rule, but c'mon, most rappers just plain suck. Most of my heroes I have had the pleasure of meeting suck the worst. That is always disappointing. One HUGE exception to that experience was Rakim who was humble as F*ck, introduced me to his wife and asked me how I was doing in the middle of a crowded party. Please feel free to add your reasonings. I know some of you have some great additions.

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    The opinions of FunkyExample do not necessarily reflect those of Cashless (although I agree with much of this).

• CONCEITCONCEIT 145 Posts
    You sound like a failed rapper or a mad fan. What are rappers supposed to do when they meet you that makes them not "suck the worst". Invite you on tour with them,talk to you for an hour about life and the state of hip hop,maybe offer you over to their house for a sleepover and you get the top bunk. In most situations your gonna meet an artist it's likely at an event where personal attention is not in your favor. I feel you on some of the list but those are characteristics that apply to people in general.

P.S. or that list is all true because you hang around WACK rappers.

• I realize that this is quite the topic. No I am not a failed rapper or mad fan. I am actually a huge cheerleader of many rappers new and old. I still BUY music. I am a gigging dj of over 12 years. Lets just say I have been around them. I am more apt to own the title of failed producer, but it isn't for any of the reasons on this list thank you much. I have my own demons to deal with. There is a certain type of personality a rapper usually has that happens to subscribe to many of these traits.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I won't beleive this until you can list 43 rappers.

GO!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    actually thats too easy.

list 43 rappers whose name starts with "lil", "young", or "mc".

thats a decent challenge, I think.

no cheating.

I do agree that a lot of these younger cats can be dipshits. But it's only their false sence of grandeur is due to the lies their idols spit. So I do feel you to a degree. Being an MC/Producer I feel people can be a little demanding on the socializing factor sometimes. Because like everybody else on the planet ...some days your feeling it and some days you ain't.

• 8. Don't know how to hold a mic

So true! KRS addressed this on record in the early 90s, but nothin's changed.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    8. Don't know how to hold a mic

So true! KRS addressed this on record in the early 90s, but nothin's changed.

ask any soundman that has worked a hip hop show since 1994...this shit is so true..."Turn my shit up, turn my shit up!" Uhhh your "shit" will get louder if you dont cup your hand over the mouthpiece...but you know it doesnt look as "hard" that way. And you know, looking "hard" is the only thing that matters...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    most of that list works pretty well for strutters also

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    funkyexample has no stage presence

This is all I gotta say....

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

27.Never help carry gear after a show

So are you saying Bono, James Brown and Shania Twain help clean up after a show?

• Most of those points transcend working with them into a personal level too.

• 27.Never help carry gear after a show

So are you saying Bono, James Brown and Shania Twain help clean up after a show?

No, but in general, they are paying living wages to folks who do handle that... This is more for the folks who have djed directly for rappers or toured with them.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

27.Never help carry gear after a show

give me a break....he is probably talking about club shows where 34 people came to the gig...I dont think any of the rappers dude was talking about are on the celebrity/money level of the folks you mentioned

Either way...you don't like rappers...don't DJ for them then. Then maybe you would'nt need an online support group At least rappers bitch and complain at the actual time they ain't feeling it vs. waiting till they get home to their computer. OKAY...I'm just starting shit now...haha

• Either way...you don't like rappers...don't DJ for them then. Then maybe you would'nt need an online support group At least rappers bitch and complain at the actual time they ain't feeling it vs. waiting till they get home to their computer. OKAY...I'm just starting shit now...haha

I wouldn't take it personally. Since you are a producer too, I sort of infer you take more pride than usual in your craft.

At the same time, you make a song with the title "Complaints of the Day", you have an outlet to actually voice your opinions. Soulstrut happens to be mine. Isn't it sort of along the same lines? Aren't you opining against rappers? Do you feel as if I am hating against your "brethren" and must defend yourself and them? If anything, it seems like you would be able to add on to this subject.

Your right I hate a lot of rappers as well to be honest. But the list was just kinda overkill. But now that you put it that way. I stand corrected....Fluck a rapper. hahah I just like to argue. But I have had my fair share of people who kinda expect because they like your music you have to be their new buddy. And I am all for respecting those that respect what I do but some people just expect too much is all. But like I said...the way you put it I do agree with you on =having an outlet.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I'm sick of Complaint Hop, meaning rappers who complain about (oft-times more popular) rappers. Just shut the eff up and make good music! Quit worrying about what the other dude is doing!

I'm also getting kind of bored with every rapper telling me about their life ("I'm so broke," "I'm so rich," "I'm having a baby/a mid-life crisis/a colonoscopy," blah blah blah), but I guess that's pretty much what the artform is all about so I have to deal with it. I need some more 3rd person story rapps.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    If only every rapper you ever met introduced you to his wife...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I've gotten a chance to talk to most of my favorite rappers at length over the past few years and would be pretty hard pressed to think of even one who wasn't completely friendly, humble, insightful. That being said, I've also dealt with a lot of less talented or established rapp dudes who would definitely fit your description.

Maybe I just have great taste in both rap and human beings.