Giant drill bit to darken Chicago skys

volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/26/chicago.skyscraper.ap/index.htmlWhat's the point of this moronic stuff. "Hey look....our cities dick is bigger than your cities!"

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    What's the point of this moronic stuff. "Hey look....our cities dick is bigger than your cities!"

What would make you think that????

• Mel_GibsonMel_Gibson 664 Posts
    Size matters.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts
    You forgot...

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

"Like the great eternal clansman, with his 2 flashing red eyes."

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    don't be forgetting Auckland, New Zealand !

and Sydney ..

where the brits with their dazzling London Eye ?

• c'mon dude, don't you think we feel left out of all this terrorist activity?

now maybe with the tallest skyscraper in america, heads will recognize and bring it to us proper. chicago what!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

i hate the cn tower. it's ugly and totally ruins the skyline.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i like the one in berlin...

shanghai's is nice, too - so sci-fi!

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I like the ones in LA

heh

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

You are hurting the towers feelings right now...

Whats ur fav building in the city MissB?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Did you hear about the monument they are building to Martha Washington?

It's going to be 272 feet deep.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

Did you hear about the monument they are building to Martha Washington?

It's going to be 272 feet deep.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    I like Knoxville's sunsphere, because I like that retro future look.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

such a classic canadian tendancy... we do ONE showey thing ever, build the worlds tallest mother fucking building, for which we get zero to no respect "i thought the empire state building was the tallest dude" and then everybody in canada HATES the thing.

i don't think its any uglier or stupider than any of the other penis towers posted here... i mean they are all about projecting futuristic dreams into our otherwise bland existances.

the toronto skyline is just a bunch or rectangles without it. not that im dissing Mies (which are my fave toronto skyscrapers) but sometimes you just need something that says LOOK HERE.

• Options
    Just think what Dave and Ansil had to look at. Elevator guys must have hated Toronto back then.

K.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    RESPECT THE ARCHITECT!

Calatrava has done some cool stuff (look it up).

Frank Lloyd Wrights original design for a mile-high skyscraper (The Illinois) was never built, but probably would put all future skyscapers to shame, if it had been built.

such a classic canadian tendancy... we do ONE showey thing ever, build the worlds tallest mother fucking building, for which we get zero to no respect "i thought the empire state building was the tallest dude" and then everybody in canada HATES the thing.

i don't think its any uglier or stupider than any of the other penis towers posted here... i mean they are all about projecting futuristic dreams into our otherwise bland existances.

the toronto skyline is just a bunch or rectangles without it. not that im dissing Mies (which are my fave toronto skyscrapers) but sometimes you just need something that says LOOK HERE.

please refrain from reducing me down to some dumb stereotype because I don't like the CN Tower.

this is hardly the ONE showey thing Canada has done. who's demonstrating a "classic Canadian tendancy" now? - shrinking Canada's acheivements down to what Toronto (aka centre of the universe?) has to offer?

it can be the tallest and it might say LOOK HERE, but I still don't like it.

Whats ur fav building in the city MissB?

I like the Brickworks, Harris Treatment Plant, Casa Loma, Convocation Hall and my house.

• Options
    Guild Inn

Scarboroughhhhhh, K.

• Options
    How 'bout that tree we climbed in Trinity Bellwoods?

K.

RESPECT THE ARCHITECT!

Calatrava has done some cool stuff (look it up).

Frank Lloyd Wrights original design for a mile-high skyscraper (The Illinois) was never built, but probably would put all future skyscapers to shame, if it had been built.

Did you ever see The Discovery Channels special on Toyko's Sky City? It was dope... Talking about a mile high...

I went to the FLW spot in Scottsdale. He was ahead of his time.

K.

you're making me laugh! you tired to convince me to climb it and I was in NO SHAPE. I could hardly negotiate myself into sitting down at the picnic table we stumbled to.

But yes, that is a damn fine tree.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

a scene like this would fit my mood quite nicely. less than three weeks before a nice relaxing moment in the Upper Peninsula of MI.

• Options

a scene like this would fit my mood quite nicely. less than three weeks before a nice relaxing moment in the Upper Peninsula of MI.

That's basically 2 minutes out my back door. Just about every major teenage experience (and lots of adult pondering) has taken place down there.

K.

P.S. i'm at home and not at the cottage.

I like the Brickworks, Harris Treatment Plant, Casa Loma, Convocation Hall and my house.

I always liked

• Options

K.

you're making me laugh! you tired to convince me to climb it and I was in NO SHAPE. I could hardly negotiate myself into sitting down at the picnic table we stumbled to.

But yes, that is a damn fine tree.

I got Dave to climb it with me, too. HE got all afraid like a puddy-tat and started calling me names on the climb down.

See you in a bit. I'm riding my bike there, so you may need to Fabreze me when i arrive.

K.

• Options

I always liked

Ernest Hemingway lived there when he worked for the Star.

K.

I always liked

Ernest Hemingway lived there when he worked for the Star.

K.

I didn't know that... A good fried of mine works in the law office there.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

please refrain from reducing me down to some dumb stereotype because I don't like the CN Tower.

this is hardly the ONE showey thing Canada has done. who's demonstrating a "classic Canadian tendancy" now? - shrinking Canada's acheivements down to what Toronto (aka centre of the universe?) has to offer?

it can be the tallest and it might say LOOK HERE, but I still don't like it.

woopsey

not meaning to single you out.. in all honesty i've never met a single canadian in MY LIFE who thought the CN tower was cool... that's all. not so much a sterotype as a near universalism in my experience. and that's from coast to coast.

what i was really pointing out is a large tendency by our country folk to downplay any major achievements in our history (other than shit we did in WWI & WW2 and peacekeeping missions) anytime the subject ever comes up (which is a rare thing indeed).

i'll say it right now i think the CN tower is baddass and so is city hall.