Those Wacky Germans (SS Chicken Nip)

2»

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Boston style pizza isn't that crazy. Isn't there a resturant chain called "Boston Pizza"?

There's actually an entire city full of it. We just call it "pizza".

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I think there is Boston Chicken or something like that.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    noones into Boston Style Pizza? C'mon...

In the UK we have these instead.

(thats says Chicago Town Pizza, incase you can't read it)

*they're produced by a German company.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Boston style pizza isn't that crazy. Isn't there a resturant chain called "Boston Pizza"?

There's actually an entire city full of it. We just call it "pizza".

Does the "Boston Pizza" chain exist in America? "New York Fries" was popular here for a while, too, but I don't know if that's still around.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    At Target they have a bunch of birthday cards with Obama on them. They say stuff like "I'm Barack Obama and I'm wishing you a Happy Birthday." Something like that. I always look at them and think "this can't be legal." I guess if it's a public domain image then it is. I can understand that his name can't be trademarked, but can't you get in trouble for claiming that a specific person (using his name and image) is making a statement that he didn't say. It's not an objectionable statement, but they are making money off of his name and image.

maybe that's just one of the things you have to live with when you're famous.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

The Boston Pizza won't get anyone excited...
    why don't you instead tell us about Mohrenk??pfe and Judenf??rze?
    That's where the real SS cat-nip is at...

... just kidding.

This pastry here has been popular in germany for decades and it's called:

The American

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    At Target they have a bunch of birthday cards with Obama on them. They say stuff like "I'm Barack Obama and I'm wishing you a Happy Birthday." Something like that. I always look at them and think "this can't be legal." I guess if it's a public domain image then it is. I can understand that his name can't be trademarked, but can't you get in trouble for claiming that a specific person (using his name and image) is making a statement that he didn't say. It's not an objectionable statement, but they are making money off of his name and image.

maybe that's just one of the things you have to live with when you're famous.

How many things have you seen like this with George Bush....This weekend I saw a GWB doll that danced and said stupid shit.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    In Turkey they have an Obama look-a-like selling health insurance. Does the voice, stands in front of a lecturn with the Stars&stripes behind him, and he says "I just wish in America we had Garanti".

Now say you love CREPE!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    How did you know it was a doll?

How did you know it was a doll?

It was shorter than you.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    bahh, Gary beat me to it..

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

How many things have you seen like this with George Bush....This weekend I saw a GWB doll that danced and said stupid shit.

You sure that wasn't just video from a White House dinner?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I'm aware of the stereotype.
    But not the racist overtones.

Yeah, I'm aware of the racist overtones.
    But I'm not marketing or producing pieces of 'mechanically recovered meat product' and selling it as Obama fingers. I listen to black music and British TV themes and between the two am fully conversant with all modes of ass-hurtery.

Like Frank said, it's doubtful that the makers are aware ot this. They probably should be, and their PR and marketing people certainly need to step their game up at the very least. But the inferred slight upon black America has an uncomfortable amount in common with slaughtering all French people for the propensity of a handful of ebay scammers to harsh your moder sales buzz.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

You didn't seem to be aware when you seriously needed them explained to you.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Boston Market... Thats the name of the place.

In Boston they have a Dunkin Donuts on EVERY CORNER and every girl sorta looks like Rachel Ray. When my wife and I went to Boston we finally decided to try Dunkin Donuts to see what the hype was. The coffeee was shitty and the donuts just tasted like donuts.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Boston Market... Thats the name of the place.

In Boston they have a Dunkin Donuts on EVERY CORNER and every girl sorta looks like Rachel Ray. When my wife and I went to Boston we finally decided to try Dunkin Donuts to see what the hype was. The coffeee was shitty and the donuts just tasted like donuts.

This is SPOT ON. Well, the Rachel Ray part is painting with a bit of a broad brush, but otherwise, deadly accurate. You can give directions in Boston solely using Dunkin Donuts: "Take a right at this intersection, and go down a few blocks. Take a left at the Dunkin Donuts. You'll go through a couple of sets of lights. Take a right one block after the Dunkin Donuts. From there, just go straight for about a mile. The restaurant is right across the street from the Dunkin Donuts."

And yeah, their coffee sucks.

P.S. - I work directly across the street from a Dunkin Donuts, and there's one in the convenience store on the corner near my apartment.

You didn't seem to be aware when you seriously needed them explained to you.

Having seen Eddie Murphy cane Luther Vandross in video, I am aware of the general thrust of the stereotype if not all the nuances. That's kind of the full extent of my knowledge of the subject. I was merely asking what the racist overtones were considered to be, for the sake of my further education. If you can add to that, please do.

and if you can't, then please STFU

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I guess this is a Canadian outfit:

http://www.bostonpizza.com/?q=bostonpizza_home

From Wiki:

The Boston Pizza concept began in Edmonton, Alberta in 1964 when Greek immigrant Gus Agioritis opened Boston Pizza and Spaghetti House. He started the restaurant with little experience, but gained success through hard work and a solid business plan. By 1970 Boston Pizza had 17 locations in Western Canada 15 of them were franchised.

One of the first franchisees was an RCMP officer by the name of Jim Treliving. In 1968 he had noticed the growing popularity of Boston Pizza and opened the first franchise restaurant in Penticton, British Columbia. While in Pentiction he met up with George Melville who was an chartered accountant. He accted as Treliving business consultant for four years then in 1973 became Treliving partner in the business. Over 10 years they built 16 restaurants all over BC. They would later prove invaluable in their future position as the franchisor of the Boston Pizza concept.

In 1983 Treliving and Melville acquired the chain of 44 Boston Pizza restaurants from then owner Ron Coyle, who had aquaried the company from Agioritis in 1978. The two started to divested 15 of their restaurants to individual franchisees, converted one restaurant to a corporate training restaurant and set about establishing systems and operating standards designed to enhance the already successful franchise system. In 1986 Boston Pizza became the official pizza supplier for Expo 86 in Vancouver. This was a major success for the company, in the next two years it would lead to another 17 franchises.

By 1995 the chain had grown to 95 estaurants in Western Canada with sales in excess of $110 million. Over the many years the restaurants had become a success, more sports bars had been established as an integral part of the business.

In 1997 President and Chief Operating Officer Mark Pacinda was hired to bring the chain to more eastern areas of Canada. The first one was built in Ottawa in September 1998. The company later opened a regional office in Laval, Quebec in April 2004. Today there are over 315 Boston Pizza restaurants in Canada.[1]

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Just about as stereotyping, this arian angel here:

This shitty beer by the way doesn't even get sold in Germany...
    It says "made in Bremen" on the label.
    St. Pauli is in Hamburg and not in Bremen.
    I think the Beck's company is behind this atrocity.

It's like a brewery in Boston producing a "Brooklyn Girl" beer and selling it to German consumers... wait a minute... that might actually work pretty well.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

"Brooklyn Girl" beer

Getttttt thefuckouttahere.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

It's like a brewery in Boston producing a "Brooklyn Girl" beer and selling it to German consumers... wait a minute... that might actually work pretty well.

ha, cosine....never heard of "judenf??rze" though, Frank. Please to explain...and thanks for clearifying the Boston Pizza Thing. But I guess you got these type of products with questionable names all over the place. just ask an Italian who buys biscuits "assortiti"...i always have a hard time to decide, literally

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    ...never heard of "judenf??rze" though, Frank. Please to explain...

when I was a kid (some 30 years ago, this was the common name for these small red fireworks that come in bundles. I guess the "correct" term is "lady crackers".
    This might have been a south german regional thing and I'm pretty sure it's not used anymore. Crazy how such terms mannaged to survive the post war era.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    ...never heard of "judenf??rze" though, Frank. Please to explain...

when I was a kid (some 30 years ago, this was the common name for these small red fireworks that come in bundles. I guess the "correct" term is "lady crackers".
    This might have been a south german regional thing and I'm pretty sure it's not used anymore. Crazy how such terms mannaged to survive the post war era.

never heard it. crazy...

this is also bizarro..translated, it means you can buy a sunflower called "golden negro"...well, not sure, "Neger" is somewhere between "negro" and "nigger"...

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

The Boston Pizza won't get anyone excited...
    why don't you instead tell us about Mohrenk??pfe and Judenf??rze?
    That's where the real SS cat-nip is at...

... just kidding.

This pastry here has been popular in germany for decades and it's called:

The American

In Australia we call these Neenish Tarts. They are supposed to have origins in this country, but no one is quite sure if this is the case

http://goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au/~aht/neenish/neenish.html

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

"Half-Moon"

"Half-Moon"
    In Brooklyn these are called "Black & White" cookies.

• "Half-Moon"

In Brooklyn these are called "Black & White" cookies.

Same thing in Joisey...

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    but are black and white cookies tart-like? or just cookies with black and white icing on them?

or?